"Are You Not Entertained?" An Arts and Entertainment Challenge

Can you explain what you mean a little better?
It could be something that was an eye-opener, maybe the protagonist was from a different walk of life than you. Or something that challenged some preconceived notions you had before you read/watched/listened to said work. Documentaries usually do the trick for me.

Day 20: Something that changed your perspective

He's brilliantly funny and dark, but also poignant. As for the change in perspective, there's a serious bit in the show about finding out that one of his friends is a rapist, and in retrospect there were signs that he chose not to see. It's handled with grace and humor, but still packs a punch. Highly recommend.

daniel sloss x.jpg

Day 20: Something that changed your perspective

The_River_Why.jpg

I read this when I was working through the summer as a canoe guide. The book is great, but it was the last couple pages that really have stuck with me through the last 3 decades. Made it much easier in some ways to accept that which I cannot change.

Day twenty: Something that changed your perspective

I hadn't really thought too much about sex work prior to reading the Belle de Jour memoirs. Yes, they were entertaining but also got me looking into the movement to decriminalize sex work which I probably wouldn't otherwise have given much thought back in the early '10s.

I wish there would have been more audience participation. A structured "meet and greet" (online) didn't feel like a huge commitment for me, and I wasn't even familiar with any of the forum members previously. A nice surprise I guess, although I might have given you any of that anyway as a courtesy. After three weeks or so, I can kind of feel out a few of the people better. I felt accountable and if my opinion gets forgotten, I guess I just need to remind myself.

I thought it could be fun to share the things that we enjoy during downtime.

Day twenty-one: Something that scared you as much as it fascinated you
People running from police gets me. Where are you going? They have your plates. Going to stop for gas maybe? 😒

I was in one bad accident when I was younger (the west coast says "car accident" as opposed to "car wreck" I've heard) where a friend was driving and I, un-smartly, didn't have a seat belt on. We were hit so hard I somehow became suspended in midair as the vehicle rotated and thrown through the back windshield out into a cornfield. Luckily I had a hat and the back one is safety glass, as it turns out. It was my first trip in an ambulance and I lied about smoking when they asked me, thinking that somehow my parents might find out. They just wanted to adjust the oxygen correctly.

Last edited:
Day 21: Something that scared you as much as it fascinated you

I watched the original The Exorcist movie when I was quite young and as much as that one particular scene on the stairs scared me when it happened, it also laid the foundation for my love of horror. I remember rewinding the tape (yeah, that long ago) and replaying that scene and trying to work out how it was accomplished.

giphy.gif

Hannibal was such an intensely creepy show and so gorgeously filmed, written, and acted. I still think about the mushroom episode sometimes and shudder. It's in my top 3 TV shows.
539db5b369bedd5a70176aa1

Hereditary.

If you've seen it, you know. That scene. Fuck.
If you haven't seen it, you should. Now. Fuck.

The scariest horror film in modern times.
Toni Colette is god-tier.

Hereditary.

If you've seen it, you know. That scene. Fuck.
If you haven't seen it, you should. Now. Fuck.

The scariest horror film in modern times.
Toni Colette is god-tier.
So much this. This movie also had one particular moment that made me jump and it was set in broad daylight!! Toni Colette was Oscar worthy in this movie!

Day 22: Something that made you laugh out loud

I completely and totally love James Acaster. I've cried laughing more than once while watching him. After seeing him on various panel shows I checked on Netflix for any specials and was thrilled to discover Repertoire was a four episode special. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Bonus clip from his follow up special.

Day twinny too, made me lol:

Jared Kushner's plan to build Trump Hotels on the Gaza Beachfront.

That dude is a total zit.

Day 22: Something that made you laugh out loud

I completely and totally love James Acaster.
Oh I love his stand-up! Also James' stint on Taskmaster was pure gold. When Greg takes him away from the group to "talk some sense into him" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

On the topic of stand-up, Henry Rollins has had an interesting life after his time as a singer in legendary punk band Black Flag. He's done spoken word, motivational speeches, and continued his music career in Rollins' Band.

But his stand-up comedy is incredible. He has a way with words that has me rolling, belly aching, face frozen in a rictus grin. Here he is recounting the time when he, as a young lad on the west coast, tried LSD for the first time. Think I've watched this 10 or more times over the years.

Oh I love his stand-up! Also James' stint on Taskmaster was pure gold. When Greg takes him away from the group to "talk some sense into him" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen!
That was my favorite season of Taskmaster and such a hilarious moment 😂

On the topic of stand-up, Henry Rollins has had an interesting life after his time as a singer in legendary punk band Black Flag. He's done spoken word, motivational speeches, and continued his music career in Rollins' Band.

But his stand-up comedy is incredible. He has a way with words that has me rolling, belly aching, face frozen in a rictus grin. Here he is recounting the time when he, as a young lad on the west coast, tried LSD for the first time. Think I've watched this 10 or more times over the years.

I thought I'd seen this clip which according to the thumbs up on YouTube, I sure have lol. And now I'm watching it again, I love Henry Rollins.

Day twenty-two: Something that made you laugh out loud

I can have a pretty dark sense of humour. I also enjoy physical comedy. But for this particular theme I am going to throw it back to my youth again. Michel Courtemanche is french comedian from Quebec and I remember being in my living room with my parents and watching him do this skit. I found it much funnier when I was younger of course but it still brings a smile to my face to this day.

It is the first 5 minutes of this video.

Day twenty-three: Something that makes you want to travel

It doesn't take much for me to feel inspired to travel, especially to Europe, and Dangerous Beauty certainly had enough beautiful shots of Venice to pique my interest.

Day twenty-three: Something that makes you want to travel

It doesn't take
I had a pretty good time with someone on the Lime scooters when we first moved. You know what I'm talking about? They're everywhere over here, and for whatever reason I heard so many negative things about them I just never tried. They actually go faster than I can run. There are two downsides though (and I fill out feedback requests like a psychopath, so I'm sure the company knows): 1) they're expensive for what they are and 2) they have blocked out areas on the map. The scooter just shuts down when you ride into a zone without an agreement. It just stops and powers off.

Day 23: Something that makes you want to travel

View attachment 2330604View attachment 2330605

This show made me want to travel. Sometimes they would give trips to Maine but usually it was Europe. I wanted to be on this show so bad and win a trip.

I just found this thread! Yay!
Yay, glad to see you here 😊

I liked watching The Price is Right when I was home sick, the paid vacation excitement was always understandable, especially to Europe. Now as an adult, I also understand getting really hyped for free appliances lol.

Back