January Film Challenge 🎥

I actually really wanted to see this movie for Andrew Scott alone, but you and curious have made me have to see it as soon as possible.

Sadly I can't in a theater, but I hope it comes to a streaming service soon.
One of the real things that makes me hesitate in thinking of moving from L.A. is how very important seeing artsy movies in actual theaters is to me.

But yeah as soon as you can! No one does sad boy you want to hug like Andrew Scott!

Last edited:
Day 31: A film that you think other people should watch, and why
I posted this one for Day 18 and it got very little love. I’m not sure if it’s because people have seen and didn’t like, haven’t seen, or missed the post. All are fine— no need to get love on every post— but I just really want more people to love this movie the way I do 😂. It’s funny, it’s thoughtful, it’s quirky. If you watch it, send me a message and let me know what you think.

C368F428-9851-4BCF-92FE-F91B52E1F974.jpeg

So many movies I could put here. Frances Ha is such a lovely, unique film. It's a simple story really. We just follow this character around as she adapts to life changes. It's personal to me because it reminds me so much of everything I went through in 2016. It stars Greta Gerwich who more recently directed Barbie.

So many movies I could put here. Frances Ha is such a lovely, unique film. It's a simple story really. We just follow this character around as she adapts to life changes. It's personal to me because it reminds me so much of everything I went through in 2016. It stars Greta Gerwich who more recently directed Barbie.
This has been on my list to watch but haven’t seen yet! I will move it up.

I posted this one for Day 18 and it got very little love. I’m not sure if it’s because people have seen and didn’t like, haven’t seen, or missed the post. All are fine— no need to get love on every post— but I just really want more people to love this movie the way I do 😂. It’s funny, it’s thoughtful, it’s quirky. If you watch it, send me a message and let me know what you think.

View attachment 2312233

the Kaufmann’s (and Jonze) are filmmakers that I always like when I go to see them. But then none of their movies ever cross that hump as a movie I want to rewatch. Not sure why. But I used to (idiotically) feel that way about the Coen brothers, so maybe it’s time to force a revisit.

View attachment 2312233

I watched this when it first came out and remember enjoying it. But, if I am being honest... I liked Being John Malkovich better.

I'm so sorry. I honestly thought you did this on purpose to give yourself a break.
Thank you 🥰 you’re so sweet and considerate. No need to be sorry! I was just teasing.
I watched this when it first came out and remember enjoying it. But, if I am being honest... I liked Being John Malkovich better.
That’s fair! I love that one, too.
I had just read The Orchid Thief not long before seeing Adaptation, so it was all the more relevant to me.

View attachment 2312233

I TOTALLY need to give this a rewatch. 😎❤️

Day 31: A film that you think other people should watch, and why.
I submit the following masterpiece. Everyone should watch it, because it has everything a great tale should have, A stunning hero, a beautiful princess, adventure, excitement, some amazing dialog, and of course, True Love!

Deathsport,1978. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a great movie, but everyone should watch it anyway. It was a originally a sequel to Roger Corman's Death Race 2000. Other than having "death" in the title, and David Caradine as the lead, it ended with no connection. The story is an absolute ripoff of Star Wars. You have a desert wasteland, thanks to nuclear war rather that another planet, and people are protected by Jedi Knights. I mean "Range Guides," who had odd mental powers and use big clear swords. Caradine plays Kaz, whose mother was a powerful Range Guide, but she was killed by Ankar Moor, a fallen Range Guide who dresses in all black, is scared, and hunted down and killed all his former Guides for the evil Emperor. (Ankar Moor is played by the incomparable Richard Lynch). You also have a female Range Guide, whoes padawan was kidnapped by mutants, played by Playboy Playmate Claudia Jennings, who finds reasons to ditch her clothes on a regular basis; you have a gladiatorial combat played on motocross bikes with disintegration rays -- The Deathsport; you have motocross motorcycles who straight up steal the sound effects for TIE Fighters at one point. There is a final Luke vs Vader sword fight to cap it off. It is cheese of the highest level.

But the real reason to watch is David Caradine, who obviously stoned to the gills every minute. Coke and pot, trying to keep in balance. It is hilarious. I fell in love with this when watching it as a kid on late night TV (because that was a thing), and I love it more on DVD. Oh, on that, they only had the TV edit for the DVD, but they found a drive-in theater copy with the whole R-rated version, which was worn from being used so often, and took the edited parts out. So for the nude scenes it switches to this damaged, scratched film stock. I wish they kept it for the whole move. It has that drive-in aesthetic.

Jaques Tati - Traffic. A hilarious mix of Chaplin, Monty Python and his own study of peoples behavior.
MV5BN2M1NjIyYWItMWNjZC00M2U1LTk4ZTUtMTFiNGRkZjNiOTE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.jpg

Deathsport,1978. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a great movie, but everyone should watch it anyway. It was a originally a sequel to Roger Corman's Death Race 2000. Other than having "death" in the title, and David Caradine as the lead, it ended with no connection. The story is an absolute ripoff of Star Wars. You have a desert wasteland, thanks to nuclear war rather that another planet, and people are protected by Jedi Knights. I mean "Range Guides," who had odd mental powers and use big clear swords. Caradine plays Kaz, whose mother was a powerful Range Guide, but she was killed by Ankar Moor, a fallen Range Guide who dresses in all black, is scared, and hunted down and killed all his former Guides for the evil Emperor. (Ankar Moor is played by the incomparable Richard Lynch). You also have a female Range Guide, whoes padawan was kidnapped by mutants, played by Playboy Playmate Claudia Jennings, who finds reasons to ditch her clothes on a regular basis; you have a gladiatorial combat played on motocross bikes with disintegration rays -- The Deathsport; you have motocross motorcycles who straight up steal the sound effects for TIE Fighters at one point. There is a final Luke vs Vader sword fight to cap it off. It is cheese of the highest level.

But the real reason to watch is David Caradine, who obviously stoned to the gills every minute. Coke and pot, trying to keep in balance. It is hilarious. I fell in love with this when watching it as a kid on late night TV (because that was a thing), and I love it more on DVD. Oh, on that, they only had the TV edit for the DVD, but they found a drive-in theater copy with the whole R-rated version, which was worn from being used so often, and took the edited parts out. So for the nude scenes it switches to this damaged, scratched film stock. I wish they kept it for the whole move. It has that drive-in aesthetic.

As Marc Maron says “I don’t know how much time I got left”. This is unlikely to make the cut at this point but 30 years ago…I’m actually sorta surprised I didn’t know it existed back as it was right in my wheelhouse.

View attachment 2312233

I have not been part of this conversation. I'm not sure why I dropped in.
But since I did
I really like this movie.
Probably more than Being John Malkovich

OK fellow film fans, this one is a bit obscure

36 Hours is a war drama starring James Garner as an American Intelligence officer kidnapped 6 days before D-Day. He has knowledge of the invasion plans. His captors make him believe it is 1950 and he suffers recurring memory loss due to a beating inflicted on his last mission (to meet a known double agent n Lisbon to find out what he knows about D-Day). As a memory test he is asked to repeat the history of the invasion...

It is a great thriller. I think about it a lot, even though it has easily been 40 years since I first saw it.

Star Trek connection: James Doohan, a veteran of the Canadian Army who landed on D-Day plays a small part in this, two years before he first played Scotty on Star Trek. The basic plot was used for TWO Start Trek episodes, "Future Imperfect" on TNG and "Stratagem" on Enterprise.

View attachment 2312233

One of my very favourite films of all time! Period.

I saw it when it came out, and loved it immediately... but I also like to watch it again every so often, because I see different things about it as I move through life and my priorities and circumstances change. (That's true of 'any' good film, I suppose... lol.)
However, I haven't seen this for several years now... so watching it again definitely just got penciled onto my to-do list. Thank you for the reminder!
I would watch anything written by Charlie Kaufman. What a brilliant film!

This is a great movie!!

Not like classic movie great, but sorta so bad it’s actually great. I love it!

Poor Things

Gorgeous visuals, witty, intelligent and erotic.

Back