The 2024 Geek Pride Story Event: Official Support Page

I just dropped a 750 word story titled 750-10 Captain Scarlet and Pandora
It is a teaser about their mission, the "Asimov Plan."

There’s always room for more Captain Scarlett adventures! Come on, tell us about them, please! :D
I just dropped a 750 word story titled 750-10 Captain Scarlet and Pandora
It is a teaser about their mission, the "Asimov Plan."
It's carrying the Geek Pride 2024 tag

Maybe a dumb question… does the geek character need to be gay?

Not unless you want to write about a gay geek. Nothing wrong with being into that. But straight, bi, or lesbian characters are fine too. Long as they’re enjoying their geeky lives.

Which geek character - the main character in the story or the writer?
Traditionally Geek Pride indicated the author's embrace of their internal geek

I just got the impression that the story had to have a gay element because it mentions ‘pride’ !!

Can I go Greek cuckold?

"Cucked by the minotaur- a story by Mintos"

Why should I think up a story when I can just plagiarize one from Posiden.

You can have pride without being gay. Personally I’m proud to be a cisgender heterosexual male and a lustful purveyor of erotica. Then again I do also enjoy reading lesbian and group sex erotica, and I have accepted the gay people in my family as the people they are as bad wish to be. So I am also proud to be a gay ally. And an opponent of certain people who are proud to be opposed to my opinions.

You can have pride without being gay. Personally I’m proud to be a cisgender heterosexual male and a lustful purveyor of erotica. Then again I do also enjoy reading lesbian and group sex erotica, and I have accepted the gay people in my family as the people they are as bad wish to be. So I am also proud to be a gay ally. And an opponent of certain people who are proud to be opposed to my opinions.
I was hoping @Lovecraft_Lore was going for a play on words - Greek Pride, which in my home town is a big thing

Of course you can have pride if you're not gay, it's silly to consider otherwise.

I looked it up. I've never seen Firefly. Sue me, old man. 😜
Enjoy. There's only 14 episodes plus the film, though note the first episodes were shown all out of order, making it very confusing for those who saw it pre-DVD.

Back on topic: I suppose there's no reason why something in Reviews and Essays couldn't go under Geek Pride, even though it's not a 'story'?

This probably edges into “nerd” territory, but something with a classics professor doing a deep dive into mythology would fit, right?

Woke up yesterday with the perfect geek story in mind and with enough in time to write it. Love it when that happens. I'll join the contest!

Woke up yesterday with the perfect geek story in mind and with enough in time to write it. Love it when that happens. I'll join the contest!
It's not a contest, it's a challenge. There's two big differences:
1. In a contest stories are posted as they come in, in a challenge stories are (supposed to be) posted at the same time
2 $

I am an unfashionable and a socially inept person, but never thought I was a geek. Not that the geek label is a bad thing, I just never really knew what a geek was. Ignorance is bliss? Anyway, would a shy goth/emo girl be a geek? I'm guessing that she would be, but I could use some guidance on what exactly a geek is. Thank you!

I am an unfashionable and a socially inept person, but never thought I was a geek. Not that the geek label is a bad thing, I just never really knew what a geek was. Ignorance is bliss? Anyway, would a shy goth/emo girl be a geek? I'm guessing that she would be, but I could use some guidance on what exactly a geek is. Thank you!
Where I came from, goth/emo was the peak of geek. ESPECIALLY if you were immersed in D&D or the D&D culture.

Geek is a matter of opinion, but also a state of mind. If you can be and will go into obsessive detail about the history of post punk and how it transitioned into goth, or minutiae of a particular band, then you’re a geek, even if you’re a geek about things people wouldn’t normally consider geeky.

Fantasy football folks can be geeks. Goths can, dog show people can, military historians can. While scifi/fantasy obsessions are what we usually think of, that’s just because they used to be the least socially acceptable yet still common obsession.

Back