Pink Orchid 2024: Story Event for Women-Centric Erotica - Official Support Thread

Honeymooning in Finland! Are they masochists?

Seriously, there are romantic opportunities here too. Like these igloo things for spotting northern lights: https://leviniglut.net/glass-igloos-lapland-finland/

I based my story on a real event where people run naked. Yes, really. Ten kilometers. Yes, you’re allowed shoes.
http://www.nakukymppi.net/
They get a half-Fae friend to put a spell on them for cold resistance. And they make their igloo so steamy that they almost miss the northern lights. :D

How about socks and bras?

“Socks, shoes and hats are accepted, female participants may additionally wear a top. Every participant starting the race in the accepted gear is considered to have accomplished the race successfully.”

It’s a very informal event. The other charming summer events we have include playing football in a swamp and competing on who carries their wives the fastest through an obstacle course. Yes, really. Google “suopotkupallo” or “eukonkannon MM-kisat.” They have, in my opinion, less potential for erotic stories, though that’s in the eye of the beholder surely. MM refers to world championship, so in those sports you get better titles, running naked just gets you bragging rights and diplomas for three fastest per major gender.

Yeah, waking up is a lot like that.

I’ve done my dues. I have a story about midsummer in Finland and a story featuring avanto, set in Svalbard.
Looking forward to "vak"-ing up one day and reading your story on Svalbard. Plenty of ice for fingers! I've got a draft of a Svalbard story with some ice bathing in the ocean, but had other ideas about where fingers should be warmed!

Looking forward to "vak"-ing up one day and reading your story on Svalbard. Plenty of ice for fingers! I've got a draft of a Svalbard story with some ice bathing in the ocean, but had other ideas about where fingers should be warmed!

Google translate says avanto in Norwegian is hull i isen! That can’t be right? Is it true that you don’t have a word for it?

Okay I’ll self promote for a sec:

My Svalbard story: Arctic Night
My Iceland story: Somewhere Over the Rainbow
My nude run story: Midsummer in Finland

Google translate says avanto in Norwegian is hull i isen! That can’t be right? Is it true that you don’t have a word for it?

Okay I’ll self promote for a sec:

My Svalbard story: Arctic Night
My Iceland story: Somewhere Over the Rainbow
My nude run story: Midsummer in Finland
Norway is a simple country, so the translation is correct, hull=hole, i=in, isen=ice. And as for the other place you intend to insert your fingers, we have a couple or words, but I prefer to use rasshøl.

I remember reading Arctic Night - it was great and really sexy!

Norway is a simple country, so the translation is correct, hull=hole, i=in, isen=ice. And as for the other place you intend to insert your fingers, we have a couple or words, but I prefer to use rasshøl.

I remember reading Arctic Night - it was great and really sexy!

I’m gonna have to work rasshøl into a story. Such a great word.

I do think it’s highly suspicious you don’t have a word for avanto. Maybe it’s you guys who have been left behind by aliens. Or maybe you don’t have anything that could freeze over, just the endless fjords and open sea and land that’s too steep for lakes.

Whilst thread is derailed and we're on the topic of sauna's:

@Omenainen Some of my Finnish friends insist that this is a real game. (See picture.) They say it's a 'regional thing'. Please tell me they're just messing with me.

View attachment 2322320

My April Fools story publishes tomorrow. Never heard of it before, but somehow Devinter's Gollum game (and he's going to now swear blind that it's not his) reminded me of this passage from it...

“It makes you wonder though,” I say after a while. “Even if [they] didn’t do anything, that story is so wide-spread that at least a few people have to have given it a go, just out of curiosity.”

“Oh, no,” says Hannah. “No way!”

“What?” I ask.

“You’re thinking about it,” she replies.

“Of course, I’m thinking about it,” I say. “You brought it up!”

“Yes, but you’re ‘thinking about it’ thinking about it. You’ve got that look in your eye.”

“Well…” I start to say.

Tune in tomorrow to find out what they are talking about. I'm off to write a Gollum Game story. They have mixed gender saunas in Finland right?

something very tasty called a Pink Orchid

As luck would have it, when I learned of this event last October I was staying in a hotel in Glendale, CA -- and I found that there was a Pink Orchid bakery and café down the street. Well worth a short stroll.

I found common ground for us! We can spank each other, with forest, while in sauna. We can drink while doing it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauna_whisk
Excellent plan! Now I just need to wangle a work trip to Helsinki.
It's called 'birching' in English, btw.
😂🤣😂

Ssh, don’t tell @Kumquatqueen or she won’t come over!
I couldn't possibly comment...
Seriously, though, not in my (asshole) region. We just do the normal things which include, in addition to drinking and whipping each other with birch branches, jumping naked into snow banks and/or holes in the ice for a swim. (I still think it’s a disgrace that English doesn’t have a word for avanto.)(Or löyly! Seriously, people, keep up.)(Also, remind me to never introduce me to your friends.)
I've read a couple murder mysteries involving saunas (Finland seems to be getting in on the whole Nordic noir thing), but I'm hoping they aren't any more representative of a typical Finnish sauna experience than Devinter's Golluming friends.

Tove Jansson (the Swedish-speaking Finnish author of the Moomintrolls) was invited to illustrate the first Swedish edition of the Hobbit Lord of the Rings. Her Gollum looks rather adorable and Moomin-like, and I think I'd prefer a sauna with him. However Tolkien was apparently furious, ranting "Gollum is SMALL!" and insisted on having the word 'small' added to all future editions of LoTR.

IMG_20240212_122540835~2.jpg

It's called 'birching' in English, btw.
There's a hot scene in Flashman at the Charge by George MacDonald Fraser that involves birching in a sauna. "Aunt Sara, definitely my favourite aunt."
Tove Jansson (the Swedish-speaking Finnish author of the Moomintrolls) was invited to illustrate the first Swedish edition of the Hobbit Lord of the Rings. Her Gollum looks rather adorable and Moomin-like, and I think I'd prefer a sauna with him. However Tolkien was apparently furious, ranting "Gollum is SMALL!" and insisted on having the word 'small' added to all future editions of LoTR.
How have I never seen this?! Are there more of her pictures?

Comet in Moominland was one of the first books I ever read, and it's still one of my favourites.

The things you can learn at a smut site!

I’m impressed @Kumquatqueen knew about it though. And yes there’s more pictures, it’s this whole illustrated edition. I have a copy. In Finnish.
I'm tempted to learn Finnish just to be able to read it! Or else just buy the book and look at the pictures.

The things you can learn at a smut site!

I’m impressed @Kumquatqueen knew about it though. And yes there’s more pictures, it’s this whole illustrated edition. I have a copy. In Finnish.
There was an exhibition recently at the British Library, on Fantasy (everything to do with fantasy, fairy tales, SF and literature, that you can imagine). It was excellent.

This was one of the highlights, along with showing the whole of the 1910 silent film of Wizard of Oz. It's a whole 13 minutes and totally incomprehensible if you haven't read the book. Both the Lion and Toto are the same size, adults in terrible fur suits, and the Tin Woodsman has a funnel on his head just like the famous movie.

ObLit: They had a fair few pulp SF/F novels with large-breasted female aliens and the like, including a Gor novel and Conan the Barbarian...

So, if I didn't write a story specifically for the event (because I wasn't aware of it at the time), but it was posted within the required timeframe and I feel like it would be a really good fit, would it be possible to submit that still?

So, if I didn't write a story specifically for the event (because I wasn't aware of it at the time), but it was posted within the required timeframe and I feel like it would be a really good fit, would it be possible to submit that still?

You might be able to get it listed as included in the event if you send a PM to Laurel asking her to add it. The deadline for submission is tonight, but you've already submitted and the list won't be posted until March 8.

I’m gonna have to work rasshøl into a story. Such a great word.

I do think it’s highly suspicious you don’t have a word for avanto. Maybe it’s you guys who have been left behind by aliens. Or maybe you don’t have anything that could freeze over, just the endless fjords and open sea and land that’s too steep for lakes.
Om, they are aliens. Read all about it here 😁 - https://literotica.com/s/from-norway-with-lust

My first Pink Orchid story, and my first Lesbian story, posted this morning, A Wandering Spirit.

It combines a winter kayaking trip with some fantasy and first-time, but the story is about the MFC facing both challenges and her own self-limits.

In honor of Omenainen's hosting efforts, I even changed a climactic exclamation from "Oh! Oh! Oh!" to "Om!, Om! Om!" And is sounded right!

Omenainen - Kommentoi tarinaani

There was a lot to love in this story. I really enjoyed the fjords and winter kayaking and the mythology you wowed in. And the “om, om, om” 😄 and you even had a Finnish character!

You had such good messages in there. I loved a lot of things Freya said. Okay you know what, I’ll just quote them.

Sadly, too often women set limits on themselves, and they set them too low. They are afraid to challenge themselves.

And

Women think they will be safe if they remain confined within their self-imposed limits, but they are wrong. Safety comes from pushing your limits and challenging yourself. Real safety is gaining the inner strength and confidence to allow yourself to overcome any obstacle.

And

A woman shouldn't climb a mountain just to get to the top, she should climb it because once she does reach the top, she will never allow another mountain to bar her way.

I was a little puzzled by Ellie gaslighting Leah in the end though? It didn’t feel like a very “yay sisterhood” thing that she made Leah have to prove herself, when she didn’t actually need the convincing?

(Also how is the weight 3,5kg if Håkon was a year old, year-olds weigh approximately 10kg, 3,5kg is a newborn… but that’s very much in the weeds, just something I thought while reading it.)

If you want tips to improve then I’d say focus on the dialogue.

Anyway, thank you for posting this in my event. It was very different from anything else and I’m delighted to have it included. And that you write these stories in the first place! Go North!

…I have to say, now I’m more than a little grumpy that you guys have all this mythology, and we have swamp football. Finland is like the slow younger brother of the cool Nordic countries.

Back