Hammered – an Ode to Mickey Spillane” - the 2024 Story Event Official Support Thread

ChloeTzang

Literotica Guru
Well guys 'n dames, writers and fans of gritty hard-boiled noir can rejoice! 2021, 2022 and 2023's "Hammered - an Ode to Mickey Spillane" events were so popular Laurel's asked me if I'd like to organize another one for 2024.

I came up with this as a one-off for 2021, and honest-to-god, I never thought I'd see it running for a 4th year consecutively, but no shit, it is! So here we go - I’m posting this thread to officially kick off the 2024 “Hammered – an Ode to Mickey Spillane” Story Event. Laurel will be creating the Event Page shortly, but the “go live” date is Wednesday 31st July 2024, so you've got a whole 7 months to think, contemplate, plan and write for this one.

What’s the theme? You need to ask? Well, it’s an Ode to Mickey Spillane, so think gritty, dark, and overflowing with violence and sex in the best traditions of Spillane’s Mike Hammer. Spillane knew he was writing pulp, and his guiding principle serves as the theme for this event “violence will outsell sex every time,” but, “combined, they will outsell everything.” Spillane’s books were a huge commercial success, but their plain style and often violent content didn’t tend to sit well with critics. His works were variously referred to as “atrocious” and “nauseating,” while his most famous creation was called a “homicidal paranoiac” by Malcolm Cowley, who called Spillane himself "a dangerous paranoid, sadist, and masochist."

So there you go, and if you’re still not sure, go read a couple of Spillane’s Mike Hammer novels and go for it. Vivid descriptions. Short words. Fast transitions. Violence. Sex. Stereotyping and caricatures. Minimalism. The suggestion that allows your imagination to fill in the blanks. Like Spillane’s writing. Set the scene. Switch to dialogue.

Anyhow, the intent of this event is, well, to write something that reflects Spillane’s stylistic approach to writing as much as anything. Call it noir. Call it hard-boiled. Call it whatever the hell you like, guys 'n dames. I’d say, as much as anything, go for the style, the violence and the sex, but really, interpret it any way you like, just do it! And…

Have fun!

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter their stories in this 2024 Story Event. If you have any questions, post them here, and someone will answer. It might be me, it might be someone else, but don’t be shy. Ask. There’s no such thing as a dumb question. And if you’re still shy, PM me. I’ll answer.

If you’re a first time writer, or this is the first time you’re thinking about doing a story for an “Event” or a Competition on Literotica, hey, don’t be stressed about it. We’ve all been there, and a “story event” like this is a great way to test the waters without getting into the competitiveness of a writing competition. This ain’t a competition, it’s an exhibition, it's an event, it's open invitation to everyone, from the complete novice to the writers that have been here since Literotica started and really, if you need any encouragement - you have to start somewhere, so if you're still hesitating, just do it. You'll find plenty of encouragement - we all started somewhere and what better place to get started than a non-competitive writing event with a common theme to inspire you.

Also, there no scores, no placing, no judging, and no prizes. This is just writing for fun with a bunch of other people doing the same thing. If you’re not sure about what to do, how to submit your story, or anything at all, just ask here. We’ve all been there, we’re a bunch of very helpful people, and we like to pass it on.

So without further ado, are you interested in writing for the 2024 “Hammered – an Ode to Mickey Spillane” Story Event? If you are, get started! You've got 7 entire months to get something done! First time writers and veteran Literoticans alike are invited and encouraged to participate. You’ll be in good company

Submission deadline: July 15th-30th (stories submitted & posted)
Event date: final anthology list posted on Wednesday July 31st 2024

The rules are really simple
1. Stay more or less with the theme.
2. You can write in any category and any length, as long as you keep in mind Rule #1
.3. Please include “Hammered Story Event 2024” in the notes field. Please use this exact wording so Laurel can identify the entries.
4. Please use “Hammered an Ode to Mickey Spillane” as a story tag
5. You can submit anytime from 15th July 2024 on, but all entries need to be submitted by 11:59pm, Tuesday 30 July, 2024.
6. All stories will Go Live on Literotica on Wednesday 31st July 2024.

So what are you waiting for? Next year? Get started now! Every single one of these events has been a lot of fun for all of us who wrote stories for them, and there's been quite a range of stories!

1703383809591.png

Last edited:
I started mine last year but through work and such just did not have the time to complete it. Then of course it grew. I've been working on it through the summer and fall and it feels about half done. Curiously, I just opened up the file again a couple of hours ago and have been thumbing through. Then you post this. Coincidence?

Hmmm, seven months, huh?

Dan and Ruby wondered if their author would get another story written for 2024. Her red dress would go well with his new De Soto.

Last edited:
I started mine last year but through work and such just did not have the time to complete it. Then of course it grew. I've been working on it through the summer and fall and it feels about half done. Curiously, I just opened up the file again a couple of hours ago and have been thumbing through. Then you post this. Coincidence?
"There ain't no such thing as a coincidence ... it's a feeling you got going on, one that creeps up behind you 'til you can feel its breath on the back of your neck, one that causes your heart to race, one that paralyzes your nervous system so you can't turn around and see it coming – then it stabs your jugular leaving you under some damn blinking street light down on Eighth Street. You'll hear her laughter while she watches your blood spurt over that new suit you bought. Coincidence, my ass, Hammer. It's that dame you jilted, and she's coming for you."

And I'm already feeling the anxiety of writing the next one!

Last edited:
Vivid descriptions.

Check.

Short words.

Among others, yes.

Fast transitions.

Got 'em.

Violence.

I have quite a bit but much of it is 'off camera' so to speak, which is working but I'm wondering if I should put more of it in the face to fit the brief.

Got that and more to come.

Stereotyping and caricatures.

Street gangs and bad cops, so plenty of those.

Minimalism.

My general style already includes much of that.

Set the scene. Switch to dialogue.

Oh, packin' in the street talk, big time.

Been trying to write a Tarantino Grindhouse style Novel called Biker Fantasy that might work for this. I’ll have to tone down the eighteen year old FMC’s history but I’ll cross my fingers and see if I can get it out.

Thanks, Chloe! I’m really looking forward to this.

My story for this year’s event will be a standalone tale but it will also be the conclusion to a three-part trilogy, tying up the loose ends from my stories of the last two years that took place in 1953 and 1973. I’m currently at about 3k words of outline and vignettes that will be knitted together into a hard-boiled tale of sex, violence, and revenge, as well as tying into the completed “The Milkmaid” series, which takes place about twelve years later.

At least that’s what I’m telling myself!

Heeey, great that there's already half a dozen people interested. I'm batting around what my one will be inside my head. It won't be as long as Gangsta's Paradise, that's for sure, and I don't think I'll reprise Mallory. I might do a Trexy Lee one tho. Roanapur is such a great setting for Noir.

Thanks for the heads up, Chloe! I might just have a crack at this one...some developments in my continuing narrative could fit with this, and I've always loved hard boiled fiction...

I missed out on this one last year. I'll be ready for it this time, I've got a few grim-dark/noir idea seeds in the chamber that I can toss into this event for sure.

I may post a Hardesty D.C. Vice unit mystery to this. It won't be in the Mickey Spillane voice, which I don't really want to make the effort to capture, but its voice is derived from thinking of the Mickey Spillane delivery.

I may post a Hardesty D.C. Vice unit mystery to this. It won't be in the Mickey Spillane voice, which I don't really want to make the effort to capture, but its voice is derived from thinking of the Mickey Spillane delivery.

Great, and really, the Mickey Spillane thing is more of a cue. The intent was Noir, but that's a really broad brush. Be great if you could write something for this, Keith.

Great, and really, the Mickey Spillane thing is more of a cue. The intent was Noir, but that's a really broad brush. Be great if you could write something for this, Keith.
If I submit what I'm thinking of, it's already written (and published to the marketplace).

Well, I notice today that there is no Spillane Challenge in the official list, so is this no more?

Wow, I did not know about this until today, and I had to search hard to find anything letting me know that there would be a Spillane 2024 Challenge. Okay, I'll stop whining and say that I am looking forward to writing for this. I've got the theme and outline (within the challenge's parameters, of course) worked out. Russ Ferrament is ready to go, solving cases and seducing beautiful women, preferably hot Asian women. All I'll say now in the way of a cluuuuue is... see you on Baker Street.

For whatever reason, I was thinking about the film Bound, my favorite "lesbian noir thriller" movie (not that there's a long list of such films with which I'm familiar) and it made me think of this challenge, and how it could be spiced up by making the detective character a tough and sexy woman. So, I'm going to think about that.

A picture of the actresses from the film, Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly, who are VERY sexy in the film (Gershon made an able recovery from her role in the absolutely and almost-but-not-quite-enjoyably dreadful Showgirls):

bound.jpg

For whatever reason, I was thinking about the film Bound, my favorite "lesbian noir thriller" movie (not that there's a long list of such films with which I'm familiar) and it made me think of this challenge, and how it could be spiced up by making the detective character a tough and sexy woman. So, I'm going to think about that.

A picture of the actresses from the film, Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly, who are VERY sexy in the film (Gershon made an able recovery from her role in the absolutely and almost-but-not-quite-enjoyably dreadful Showgirls):

View attachment 2318132
Dang!

For that, no next number.

And that deadline reminder - long enough to get my sequel written. From the first Mickey Spillane anthology.. I'll give you another cameo.

Back