The 2024 750 Word Story Challenge Support Thread

Duleigh

Just an old dog
The 6th Annual 750 Word Story Challenge Support Thread

Back in 2019, author jezzaz wondered:

Is it possible to write a complete story in exactly 750 words? That's the minimum limit that Literotica will accept, and after talking among ourselves, some of the writers on Lit decided to see if we could do it. After all, it's 750 words, right? How hard could it be? It's not like editing it is going to take long, after all.

Is it possible?
Here's your mission - Write a complete story in exactly 750 words. If it's a word less than 750, Lit's bots will reject it, if it's too long some wide eyed reader will spot it (they do!) and call you out on it. Write a story that is EXACTLY 750 words long using Microsoft Word, Google Docs, or Literotica Control Panel Editor word count - no more, no less. Note: each word processor handles word count differently, The story must be 750 words EXCLUDING title, description, tags, etc. Word count includes story text only.

It is allowable to start with a line that reads:
This story was written for the 2024 Literotica 750 Word Challenge, below this line are exactly 750 words:

Submit your story (stories) in any story category February 1st-29th (because February is the shortest month allowed by Literotica)

The list of all participating stories will be posted on March 1st.

Copy and paste this phrase into the Note To Admin section of the submission form: "750 WORD PROJECT 2024"
(without the quotation marks).
Please copy and paste this so that a typo doesn't keep your story from participating!

This thread is to reach out to each other for support, suggestions, and good-natured ribbing. Please keep in mind that this is a challenge, it is not a contest. And as always, please, no wagering.

Last edited:
Ah... it's that time again to piss off the readers as a collective. Maybe I'll think of something new, or dig up that old Seven 750 Word Sex Freak "collection" I abandoned years ago. I do need to build up this new library.

Had fun doing this last year! Looking forward to this year’s.
These little stories are a riot to put together, and they make a great launch pad for bigger better stories. I got two awesome contest entries out of my 750 word submissions last year.

Yeah. I enjoy writing them, but the three I've done are my lowest rated stories. Unless I think of something really good, I'm going to pass this time.

Same here with the scoring, and most of 'em have been strokers. 750 is fun, but it seems the general readership prefers to flip a page or two.

Question, how do we define hyphenated words? Are they one word (as word counts them) or two words, as some other software counts them?

Question, how do we define hyphenated words? Are they one word (as word counts them) or two words, as some other software counts them?
Word counts them as one word. I believe that Lit counts them as two words.

Each software/ system counts words a little differently.

One of my 750 story shows as 735 words after it uploaded.

Word counts them as one word. I believe that Lit counts them as two words.

Each software/ system counts words a little differently.

One of my 750 story shows as 735 words after it uploaded.
Sounds like final edit needs to be done in the Lit editor.

Yes, 750s should not be discounted. My 750 entry from last year won the Readers Choice Award for Humor&Satire
Granted mine was only a cursory search, but can someone that knows where these stories are archived, post a link? thx.

Jam-packed should be a hyphenated word, but I haven't done so yet. Of course, nothing likes it as jam packed. I'll change it at the time I post it or not. I don't think it's that big a deal.

Jam-packed should be a hyphenated word, but I haven't done so yet. Of course, nothing likes it as jam packed. I'll change it at the time I post it or not. I don't think it's that big a deal.
That comes down to the age old question - "Is your word count 749?"

I didn't hyphenate it, and it is 750 words exactly. It's in my drafts, has no sex, and isn't going to get read by many as it will post in Non-Erotic. I think, but I'm not sure yet, but believe there will be three Ryann Payne 750-word stores in the Event. I'm sure at least two will have sex. But Again, she's a Hitwoman, so who knows?

The one that is ready, already, is called, Hitwoman Ryann Payne: The Mark.
That comes down to the age old question - "Is your word count 749?"

Granted mine was only a cursory search, but can someone that knows where these stories are archived, post a link? thx.
If you search the AH for "750 Words" you should be able to find each year's support thread, which lists all stories for that year. Or go to the Story Search page, and put in 750 Words - they're all meant to be tagged.

Here are several of mine, to get you going:

A Girl on the Bus (goes on to become a complete story)

Brooke Works at the Hardware Store (plus three more x 750 word vignettes, all connected)

Valentines for Suzie (this one got its contest mixed up)

It's not. People are encouraged to meet the spirit of the anthology - to write to a tight word limit - but no story ever gets rejected if it's not exactly 750 words, given that different software programs count differently.

It's a writing exercise, not a mathematical one. Every year, people get hung up on the word count, rather than worry about the little story being told.

I didn't hyphenate it, and it is 750 words exactly. It's in my drafts, has no sex, and isn't going to get read by many as it will post in Non-Erotic. I think, but I'm not sure yet, but believe there will be three Ryann Payne 750-word stores in the Event. I'm sure at least two will have sex. But Again, she's a Hitwoman, so who knows?

The one that is ready, already, is called, Hitwoman Ryann Payne: The Mark.
I've done that! My sweet little old lady with MS in 750-3 Saturday Evening was in reality a Mafia Hit Babe in the expanded story Saturday Evening I can't believe how great Saturday Evening came out.

Yeah. I enjoy writing them, but the three I've done are my lowest rated stories. Unless I think of something really good, I'm going to pass this time.
Readers don't like them, most people recant having low scores from them. I think the highest scored ones claimed to be low fours, so don't be getting your hopes up. This contest ain't really for the readers, anyway, it's more a writing exercise, a "wrote this for me" if there ever was one. If you're too hung up on scores, then don't do it-- can't really give a fuck about them to do this contest, it'd probably be a collective act of the gods to get a, or near a red h. They're just never enough for people.

Back