how are stories ordered on your author page?

joy_of_cooking

Literotica Guru
I wrote 11 stories for the 750 word challenge this year and put them all in a series to make it easier for readers to find my longer works. Only the 750-word series ended up at the top of my submissions page!

Is there any way to put it at the bottom, after my "real" stories?

Things that didn't work:

1. Naming the series "ZZZ 750 words" in case the site sorted by series title
2. Manually ordering "Under-desk Tease" to be first in the series, in case the site sorted by title of first work in the series.

I just noticed that series appear in the story list according the earliest position of any of the separate stories. So my list begins with the series "My Little Sister Sal", because my first individual story by alphabet is "A Fool Not to Fuck". After this series I have "Ben's Big Mistake", "By Voice and By Candle" and "Closeness", followed by the series (or grouping, in this case) "One-Off Artsy Stuff" because the next story alphabetically is "Fairytale of New York".

Interesting.

:-( I suspect Laurel will not look kindly upon me renaming all my 750 word stories to "ZZZ real title (750 words)"

Alphabetical. I created a series to hold all my 750 word entries. If you want them at the bottom, name the series ZZZ <real title> (750 Words)

name the series
Sadly, I tried that and it didn't work. If you look at your own submissions page, you'll see that your 750 word series appears where its alphabetically earliest member would appear. It contains a story called "A Year in the Life" and the series is between "A Little Team-Building" and "All About Jesse."

Sadly, I tried that and it didn't work. If you look at your own submissions page, you'll see that your 750 word series appears where its alphabetically earliest member would appear. It contains a story called "A Year in the Life" and the series is between "A Little Team-Building" and "All About Jesse."
Well, crap, then me editing the series name to start with Z is just going to annoy Laurel. Damn. :)

And oddly, Drinking Scotch and Making wishes shows as the first story in the series. Curiouser and curiouser...

You can change the order manually, you know.
That would involve effort and forethought. Knowing me, I'd have to develop some algorithm, do analysis, based on some obscure metrics involving moon phases, views, and the coming eclipse(I do have them) and then actually do it only to decide I wanted it a different way. To be honest, I'd probably end up defaulting to alphabetic or date, but I'd go the long route anyway, well, because... 🤪

I have a series for my 750 word stories - it’s very innovatively called 750 Word Stories - and it appears at the top of my portfolio. Within the series, I manually ordered the stories to appear in order or publishing.

I’m fine with the 750s being at the top, but I’m unsure what drives this. The first story in the list starts with an ‘S,’ then - if ordered alphabetically - the first one starts with a ‘6.’ It’s almost like the series order is driven by the contents if they were alphabetized, even if they aren’t.

Which I don’t really get.

Emily

Well, the basic code to reorder the appearance of the page is already present within the series code ( reordering stories in the series ) so it wouldn't be reinventing the wheel to apply that same code to the full page, allowing you to choose what order all of your stories appear in.

If it's not already planned as part of the upgrade to the author story list, it wouldn't be a huge ask once it goes Beta and they request feedback.

I have a huge problem starting my titles with A....
Let alone dealing with series.
But I do see your conundrum. I have no idea.

I always just made sure that each title in the series came alphabetically after the previous... check out Click and Collect, the stories are in alphabetical and also chronological order.

It seems that series are placed on the author's page according to the title of the story in the series that comes first alphabetically.

Thus Shelbydawn57's series "750 Word Writers Challenge" is placed according to its story "A Year in the Life" and so comes between "A Little Team Building" and "All about Jesse."

Joy_of_cooking's series "ZZZ 750 words" is placed according to "A 7 Train Stiletto Show" and so comes at the top of the list, before "A Hood For Her Faceless Meat Dildo."

StillStunned's series "My Little Sister Sal" is placed according to "A Fool Not to Fuck" and their series "One-Off Artsy Stuff" is place according to "Fairytale of New York."

EmilyMiler's series are ordered like this:

750 Word Stories.........................69 Minutes
Emily In Jersey..............................A Big Stretch
Attempts at Serious Stories.......A Family Ritual
A Good Girl Gone Bad................A Good Girl Gone Bad Ch. 01: Ella
Other Works..................................A Holiday Wish
Eden’s Explorations ...................At Whorey’s Piers
My College Years.........................Because I Deserve It - Redux
Bouncing Back.............................Bouncing Back Ch. 01
Coleoidphilia.................................Caputpedes
Angels & Demons........................Cocksuckers
Little Emily Dreams......................Cressie Craves Cream-Pies
Traditional Sex Romps.................Hood & Hole
The Kiss..........................................The Kiss Ch. 01
Traffic - Natalie & Jim Stories.....Traffic

This way of ordering worked fine when all the stories in a series had titles along the lines of "Series Title Ch. NN." But it doesn't work so well now that authors have the ability to create series that contain stories with unrelated titles. I'd suggest that it would make more sense to place series according to the series title.

It seems that series are placed on the author's page according to the title of the story in the series that comes first alphabetically.

Thus Shelbydawn57's series "750 Word Writers Challenge" is placed according to its story "A Year in the Life" and so comes between "A Little Team Building" and "All about Jesse."

Joy_of_cooking's series "ZZZ 750 words" is placed according to "A 7 Train Stiletto Show" and so comes at the top of the list, before "A Hood For Her Faceless Meat Dildo."

StillStunned's series "My Little Sister Sal" is placed according to "A Fool Not to Fuck" and their series "One-Off Artsy Stuff" is place according to "Fairytale of New York."

EmilyMiler's series are ordered like this:

750 Word Stories.........................69 Minutes
Emily In Jersey..............................A Big Stretch
Attempts at Serious Stories.......A Family Ritual
A Good Girl Gone Bad................A Good Girl Gone Bad Ch. 01: Ella
Other Works..................................A Holiday Wish
Eden’s Explorations ...................At Whorey’s Piers
My College Years.........................Because I Deserve It - Redux
Bouncing Back.............................Bouncing Back Ch. 01
Coleoidphilia.................................Caputpedes
Angels & Demons........................Cocksuckers
Little Emily Dreams......................Cressie Craves Cream-Pies
Traditional Sex Romps.................Hood & Hole
The Kiss..........................................The Kiss Ch. 01
Traffic - Natalie & Jim Stories.....Traffic

This way of ordering worked fine when all the stories in a series had titles along the lines of "Series Title Ch. NN." But it doesn't work so well now that authors have the ability to create series that contain stories with unrelated titles. I'd suggest that it would make more sense to place series according to the series title.
Thanks for the thorough analysis. I checked four and assumed the rest were like that 😊

Thirteen of my twenty-nine stories begin with a T. But that's only really a problem on my dashboard. In my story list they're broken up a bit.

Back