Juliana Jones and the…? Final 750 word image challenge

Story submitted. That's my third in the past two days. Enough, I'm devoting the rest of my time today to other things. Thanks for the inspiration though, Em. If you want an early copy of my story, check my AO3 account.

Last edited:
And my story was rejected for political bias since I chose to set it in the Ukraine war zone and promote preservation of art depicting homosexual and heterosexual sex. I honestly thought the site would support that. :(

Oh well, looks like this will be AO3 exclusive since I don’t have another idea for a Juliana Jones story the site will accept and the anti-tyranny politics has always been an important part of Indiana Jones stories for me. Google my username there if you want to enjoy it, fans. Thx for the idea, Em, it was fun. If you got anything that won’t risk getting overly political, I’ll gladly consider it.

And my story was rejected for political bias since I chose to set it in the Ukraine war zone and promote preservation of art depicting homosexual and heterosexual sex. I honestly thought the site would support that. :(

Oh well, looks like this will be AO3 exclusive since I don’t have another idea for a Juliana Jones story the site will accept and the anti-tyranny politics has always been an important part of Indiana Jones stories for me. Google my username there if you want to enjoy it, fans. Thx for the idea, Em, it was fun. If you got anything that won’t risk getting overly political, I’ll gladly consider it.
It was meant to be a fun thing, hun.

Oh, and I think you maybe misunderstood A Family Ritual.

Emily

It was meant to be a fun thing, hun.

Oh, and I think you maybe misunderstood A Family Ritual.

Emily
I commented there again. I think my main problem was that the sex in there came across as manipulation more than the offer of a fun time from a sexy woman I usually prefer. It’s easy to reframe that latter situation in my mind to take out the incest or keep it an uncomfortable fact the participants can get over if necessary or if they’re into it, revel in the taboo of their acts. But the inclusion of abuse- which is not always a feature of incest in real life or in erotica- and prostitution just ruined the mood for me. If you can’t write incest without it coming from an abuse background, yeah, I think maybe it’s not the genre for you. Or maybe we just have different tastes.

I just read your original Juliana Jones story and enjoyed it. Should have done that before I wrote mine. Now I have ideas for Juliana hooking up with Lara Croft or some other adventurer archaeologist- maybe Nathan Drake or Chloe Frazier- for a joint caper. I’m about to start my workweek and the idea will take a while to germinate, but we’ll see what develops. No official deadline for this event, right? ;)

I commented there again. I think my main problem was that the sex in there came across as manipulation more than the offer of a fun time from a sexy woman I usually prefer. It’s easy to reframe that latter situation in my mind to take out the incest or keep it an uncomfortable fact the participants can get over if necessary or if they’re into it, revel in the taboo of their acts. But the inclusion of abuse- which is not always a feature of incest in real life or in erotica- and prostitution just ruined the mood for me. If you can’t write incest without it coming from an abuse background, yeah, I think maybe it’s not the genre for you. Or maybe we just have different tastes.
I wasn’t seeking to create a feel-good mood. No one was meant to be reveling in taboo. It’s a story, not a stroker. I think there is a difference between coercion and necessity.

Real incest is mostly like what Liz experienced, a damaging generational exercise in power and control. I wanted to think about if there was a circumstance in which incest could be less damaging. This was my attempt, no one says you have to like it. If you felt comfortable reading it, then I totally failed.
I just read your original Juliana Jones story and enjoyed it. Should have done that before I wrote mine. Now I have ideas for Juliana hooking up with Lara Croft or some other adventurer archaeologist- maybe Nathan Drake or Chloe Frazier- for a joint caper. I’m about to start my workweek and the idea will take a while to germinate, but we’ll see what develops. No official deadline for this event, right? ;)
Good luck with that. Hope it goes well.

Emily

I wasn’t seeking to create a feel-good mood. No one was meant to be reveling in taboo. It’s a story, not a stroker. I think there is a difference between correction and necessity.

Real incest is mostly like what Liz experienced, a generational excise in power and control. I wanted to think about if there was a circumstance in which incest could be less damaging. This was my attempt, no one says you have to like it. If you felt comfortable reading it, then I totally failed.

Good luck with that. Hope it goes well.

Emily
Thx for the good wishes.

I did not like that you were depicting incest as power and control- but it certainly works as that for your story. I try to see sex not as power and control but as a fun exchange of pleasure. Incest can be that, just like every other kind of sex. But if one participant in a sex endeavor can’t see it as anything but exploitative and negative, yeah, it’s time to get out. Been there with a few partners myself. It’s not fun.

Thx for the good wishes.

I did not like that you were depicting incest as power and control- but it certainly works as that for your story. I try to see sex not as power and control but as a fun exchange of pleasure. Incest can be that, just like every other kind of sex.
Yeah we totally disagree there. I guess the source of this debate.

Yeah we totally disagree there. I guess the source of this debate.
It’s fine. I must admit you are right that a lot of incest comes from the wrong place. Consensual casual incest is a common fantasy, but it’s just a fantasy for most people, myself included. The fact that incest more often comes from abuse is one thing that stops the fantasy from happening. There’s also personal tastes, trauma, and of course loving family dynamics that should not be upset by petty perversion. We’re getting off topic for the thread, so let’s leave it there unless you want to chat more in private.

Hope you can get back to stories you enjoy more soon.

It’s fine. I must admit you are right that a lot of incest comes from the wrong place. Consensual casual incest is a common fantasy, but it’s just a fantasy for most people, myself included. The fact that incest more often comes from abuse is one thing that stops the fantasy from happening. There’s also personal tastes, trauma, and of course loving family dynamics that should not be upset by petty perversion. We’re getting off topic for the thread, so let’s leave it there unless you want to chat more in private.

Hope you can get back to stories you enjoy more soon.
I’m gonna write a @StillStunned WIWAW about A Family Ritual. I think it’s really interesting the reactions it has provoked.

Emily

You definitely should. The variety and intensity of the comments is a testament to the complexity of the story.
At the risk of being even more pretentious than normal, that’s what art is meant to do, right? Emily

And I'd say you nailed it with this story. Hence my 5 stars. 🥰
To trail some of what I was aiming for, it was the reader feeling uncomfortable, but then perhaps thinking that trauma might be lessened in non-traditional ways in some circumstances.

Emily

And WIWAWs are meant for showing people how the sausage is made. I look forward to reading it.
Started - might do some more work as I’ve been abandoned today - and was nevertheless a good girl and had a 5 mile run.

Emily

Back