Hearing Voices

EmilyMiller

Perv of the Impverse
My 750 word Indiana Jones parody, Juliana Jones and the Rod of Ra starts like this:

I'd managed to avoid the Cairo riots. A berth on a Nile barge had gotten me to Luxor and to him, to Mido. My guide for the next stage. He wasn't cheap. The slime-ball had tried to negotiate a barter arrangement, but he wasn't my type. I doubt he was any woman's type. The odor would put off a crocodile.

Still, he knew his ancient monuments. Trying to breathe through my mouth, we made plans. That night we left together for the tomb. I'd let Mido see the papyrus map I had secured, but it never left my person. As we approached our destination, I checked off the landmarks. Reaching the final marker, I was aware of eyes on me.

There isn’t a voice over in Raiders, but I had Harrison’s voice from the theatrical version of Blade Runner in my head all the time I was writing this.

Do you ever have similar things happen in your writing?

Emily

Nah. they all sound like me pretending to be other people in a variety of bad accents and speech types.
I channel me in most of my female characters (it’s a common thing to do, right?) But I sometimes need some additional inspiration.

Emily

Safe to say, not in my writing, no. In my dreams, on occasion, it's felt like there's someone in the room, very vivid imagery in my head.

ghostbusters-ray-bj.gif

My 750 word Indiana Jones parody, Juliana Jones and the Rod of Ra starts like this:

I'd managed to avoid the Cairo riots. A berth on a Nile barge had gotten me to Luxor and to him, to Mido. My guide for the next stage. He wasn't cheap. The slime-ball had tried to negotiate a barter arrangement, but he wasn't my type. I doubt he was any woman's type. The odor would put off a crocodile.

Still, he knew his ancient monuments. Trying to breathe through my mouth, we made plans. That night we left together for the tomb. I'd let Mido see the papyrus map I had secured, but it never left my person. As we approached our destination, I checked off the landmarks. Reaching the final marker, I was aware of eyes on me.

There isn’t a voice over in Raiders, but I had Harrison’s voice from the theatrical version of Blade Runner in my head all the time I was writing this.

Emily
Oh yeah. I've sometimes had people I know or various actors pop up and narrate the story in my head, or lend their voices to a particular character. I'd suspect it's fairly common, though I could be wrong.

Oh yeah. I've sometimes had people I know or various actors pop up and narrate the story in my head, or lend their voices to a particular character. I'd suspect it's fairly common, though I could be wrong.
It may be unconscious sometimes I guess. But in this case I was super aware of it.

Emily

It may be unconscious sometimes I guess. But in this case I was super aware of it.

Emily
That's how the voices in my head work as well. Sometimes it's just at the border of consciousness, but other times it's very distinct and it carries through into the cadence and rhythms of the characters voice on the page. LOL - I consider the voices in my head an asset damn it!

In my latest, which is a Victorian throwback, I imagine most of the female dialogue in a Queen Victoria 'we are not amused' voice, with particular emphasis on superlatives and negatives - "his cock was most impressive, but that was not the hole it was designed to enter."

@ the author...Are you currently working on a follow up story to this? Indiana Jones is quite literally one of my all time favorite movies/characters. Curious if you were considering a spin off or a longer version of this

Sometimes I hear the voices of judgmental people expressing their disapproval of what I'm doing. But just like when those voices are coming from outside my head, I ignore them.

I haven't heard my characters'/narrators' voices yet. That would be better. One can hope.

@ the author...Are you currently working on a follow up story to this? Indiana Jones is quite literally one of my all time favorite movies/characters. Curious if you were considering a spin off or a longer version of this
Hi,

It would be overstating things to say I am working on it. But it was super fun writing this and even more hard than usual to stick to 750 words. I’d love to write a longer Juliana story.

Emily

Hi,

It would be overstating things to say I am working on it. But it was super fun writing this and even more hard than usual to stick to 750 words. I’d love to write a longer Juliana story.

Emily
Please keep us updated if you do. Appreciate your writing (and of course, the ode to one of the all-time great trilogies...Temple of Doom notwithstanding)

Oh yeah, I absolutely 'hear voices' all the time when I write my dialog. (But I'm also an immersive daydreamer so I get fully fleshed-out visual scenes in my head every time I write.)

Emily
They all sound like the Female voice from the read aloud function on Microsoft Word. There's probably a good reason for that.

Back