Musing on 750 word stories

Since 8/30, EmilyMiller is the leader in terms of the number of stories published with less than a thousand words.

Since 8/30, EmilyMiller is the leader in terms of the number of stand-alone stories published with less than a thousand words with 12.

If you include chapter stories, Azuldrgon is the leader with 14.

#2 and #3 for stand-alone stories are...

Since 8/30, EmilyMiller is the leader in terms of the number of stories published with less than a thousand words.

Since 8/30, EmilyMiller is the leader in terms of the number of stand-alone stories published with less than a thousand words with 12.

If you include chapter stories, Azuldrgon is the leader with 14.

#2 and #3 for stand-alone stories are...
I’ll have sixteen by the end of Feb, but @JamiePlynth will have 20 (if all accepted).

Emily

I just wish people would stop calling them "stories".

I have yet to read a 750-word project that is more than a simple scene or thought experiment. I get why you people like writing them, especially after reading the four pages of this thread... But, as a reader, I don't get that much out of them and don't really know why those exercises are being posted to a story site.

But, as long as they get proper views and ratings, I guess it's fine.

For those people who are complaining that 750-word stories are clogging up the hubs with not very good content - of the 1,074 stories published since 8/30/2024 that have less than a thousand words, only a quarter (253 to be exact) reference 750 words in a tag or their name or their description.

For those people who are complaining that 750-word stories are clogging up the hubs with not very good content - of the 1,074 stories published since 8/30/2024 that have less than a thousand words, only a quarter (253 to be exact) reference 750 words in a tag or their name or their description.
People just like to complain. It’s human nature.

Emily

Which doesn't really say much. It is possible that new authors simply do not know that they are supposed to tag their 750-word stories. I have actually seen some of the recent 750-word stories without any such tags or descriptions. Also, 750 words, 850 words, or 950 words are pretty much the same in my eyes.
To be honest, I don't really mind people writing these vignettes. I just wish that Lit would add some more classifications for stories of different lengths. Showing a 750-word story in the same "New Stories" list or even top-list with a 75k-word story is just confusing and misguiding and even unfair in so many ways.
That being said, there should be no pressure towards authors who enjoy writing these short pieces. They are all writing what they enjoy writing and what they are allowed to write by the website.

I have trouble with the 750 minimum. I try to cram the most action into the least amount of words. I suppose I have a short attention span. LoL

I have trouble with the 750 minimum. I try to cram the most action into the least amount of words. I suppose I have a short attention span. LoL
That's where folks go wrong, thinking there has to be action. The mere suggestion of action is enough for 750 words. This is the entirety of the erotic portions of my last 750-word entry posted in the LW category.

Justin's face colored. "That man ... Peter. Have you slept with him?"
Petra gave him a no-nonsense look. "Slept? No. But I have fucked the brains clean out of his pretty head."

I need to do something different. Both of my 750 word stories have ended up in Essays. My most recent on has only 24 views, though a surprising number of saves for the few views and comments. I just have troulbe writing the sex scenes that could move it from essays to LW.

Obviously see @Duleigh’s proper thread.

I’ve just written my ninth for the challenge and I wrote one before it. So ten in all.

The question is: why?

Well part of the answer is I have a slightly obsessive personality. But that’s not totally it? I could instead be completing any number of longer stories.

I think it’s the immediacy of 750 words. The time between idea and submission being so short. A sort of instant gratification.

It’s also being able to go full bore at the subject. Worrying less about laying foundations, or establishing characters, or building worlds. Just focusing on a moment, or an act, or an emotion, to the exclusion of everything else.

Less charitably, maybe it’s laziness.

For those who have also written multiple 750ers, what has been your motivation?

Emily
You picture challenges have given me some inspiration. I did one with the mystery woman (a dominatrix who cruelly handjobs the main character and keeps him without an orgasm).

I am just finishing up a Juliana Jones 750 worder. I like the quickness and immediacy of 750 words. I have a short attention span, so this is a nice short medium for me.

You picture challenges have given me some inspiration. I did one with the mystery woman (a dominatrix who cruelly handjobs the main character and keeps him without an orgasm).

I am just finishing up a Juliana Jones 750 worder. I like the quickness and immediacy of 750 words. I have a short attention span, so this is a nice short medium for me.
Happy to have inspired you 😊

I just wish people would stop calling them "stories".

I have yet to read a 750-word project that is more than a simple scene or thought experiment. I get why you people like writing them, especially after reading the four pages of this thread... But, as a reader, I don't get that much out of them and don't really know why those exercises are being posted to a story site.

But, as long as they get proper views and ratings, I guess it's fine.

I can't believe I read, this. So mean! A story can be written in 300 words or 30000000 words. Make of them what you will.

Back