The Travel Thread

And while we are on the ”gefährlich”Theme, have you been to the Flakturm?
Is Uebel ung gefährlich worth a visit in itself or should a Nerd like me perhaps rather take a look at the bunker during the day.
Or perhaps both?
I have to pass on these.

And while we are on the topic of chocolate, a thing you might have missed at the Wunderland as it is in the ladies’ room:

I'm pretty sure I missed a lot, it's not easy to detect everything. I'm content with having found the "conspiracy theories bunker". :)

I have to pass on these
Yeah, that may have been one of the most unclear lines of questioning in the history of mankind, anyway. 😂
I'm pretty sure I missed a lot, it's not easy to detect everything

While the scale and scope are impressive, I think that is what does it for me: The humor and the details that make you go
”Wait, was that a bear on the balcony?!”

Some marvellous sofa travelling: Europe from Above at National Geographic.

I'm not sure which it does more, though - letting me visit places I other wouldn't, or giving me travel fever...

My wife and I have been traveling the southwest US. Phoenix is an awful place to me… subdivision after subdivision. But we have family and friends there.

But yesterday getting out of Phoenix was great. Even the desert is amazing to me. The flora and fauna, the colors, how life thrives in the intense heat… I can feel great energy In the desert.

But it was hot (110) We got up north to Payson AZ. The mountains were cool high 70s. Beautiful. Pine forests, then grasslands, mountains, desert, then lush forest again. Amazing.

Had a great lunch in Heber AZ. The waitress called us “sweet things”. “Would you sweet things like another cup of coffee?” “What would you sweet things like to eat today?” She was great and made me eat their specialty strawberry shortcake.

Into New Mexico, lots of lush grasslands, beautiful mountains, cattle.

My wife and I have been traveling the southwest US. Phoenix is an awful place to me… subdivision after subdivision. But we have family and friends there.

But yesterday getting out of Phoenix was great. Even the desert is amazing to me. The flora and fauna, the colors, how life thrives in the intense heat… I can feel great energy In the desert.

But it was hot (110) We got up north to Payson AZ. The mountains were cool high 70s. Beautiful. Pine forests, then grasslands, mountains, desert, then lush forest again. Amazing.

Had a great lunch in Heber AZ. The waitress called us “sweet things”. “Would you sweet things like another cup of coffee?” “What would you sweet things like to eat today?” She was great and made me eat their specialty strawberry shortcake.

So beautiful!

Texas hill country is beautiful.

I was stationnat fort hood and really started hating on Texas, but this trip has been really good.

Austin is a hollow shell of what it used to be. Very dangerous on 6th street now. I em ever just going from bar to bar to bar. No bands, hardly any live music. Everyone is being squeezed out financially. Awful place now. But we did find two great music bars: the classic broken spoke and the white horse.
Heard “La Grange” when we were near La Grange and heard “Screw You, We’re from Texas” by Ray Wylie Hubbard when entering San Antonio.

Back into hill country tonight. Leaving on Tuesday.

I am SO out of practice at coping with jetlag.
OTOH, I have seen the sunrise from Diamondhead and from Hālona blowhole.

Had just a warm-up shore dive, going to North Shore this afternoon. Hopefully I will get in the water at Three Tables or Shark's Cove*.
Hanauma Bay tomorrow. Not a challenging dive, but spectacular for all the fish & coral.

*the name is a lie. I have never seen a shark there. Lots of other fish though.

Oahu (the island where you find Waikiki and Honolulu) has changed a lot.
Much more crowded than it was 10+ years when I lived here. People are mostly nice still, but I couldn't find a place to park where I wanted to snorkel. I got a dive in at Hanauma bay, and that was awesome.

Try living here in Phoenix!! 🤮 I agree with you, it is awful, I hate almost everything about it.

Try living here in Phoenix!! 🤮 I agree with you, it is awful, I hate almost everything about it.
Sorry! First of all, I probably should have stated the Phoenix and cities are not my thing anyway.

I have a lot of relatives there, and the spring is beautiful. Northern Arizona I love. But I’m a country kinda guys I guess.

A friend of mine recently moved out there, and his whole family loves it. Different strokes for different folks!

Off to New York City for a few days. I lived there in the 1980s, but like to go back every few years. Restaurants, bookstores, some seasonal sightseeing (the Christmas windows at Macy's and others on 5th Ave), remind myself why I don't live there.*

*yeah, this idea that living in NYC again would be cool sneaks up on me and I have to drive a stake through its heart. I am pretty close to my "ideal" right now.

I got down to the Ghostbusters firehouse!

Yes, it is an active NYFD fire company.
No, no proton packs. PKE meters, or funky ambulances in evidence.
Yes, I bought a tee shirt and took pictures.

(If you go, no need to schedule more than about 20 minutes for the visit. Good news, it is a short walk from Mariebelle chocolate, which is also well worth the visit.)

I got down to the Ghostbusters firehouse!

Yes, it is an active NYFD fire company.
No, no proton packs. PKE meters, or funky ambulances in evidence.
Yes, I bought a tee shirt and took pictures.

(If you go, no need to schedule more than about 20 minutes for the visit. Good news, it is a short walk from Mariebelle chocolate, which is also well worth the visit.)
No Dr Venkman? 😟

On a short trip right now, taking the train from Washington DC to New York City. Taking an Acela, sort of comparable to the European IC trains. Not quite as nice (or fast) as the ICE.
Still, better than trying to manage a car in Manhattan.

This is just an overnight to see a friend.
More about catching uo than seeing sights

Anyone ever been to South Korea? What did you do in the country? What places are must see and what area should i avoid?
So far i've only booked one tour with these guys https://www.timetour777.com but other than that i am flexible.
Gonna stay in the country for 2,5 weeks in total, flight is to/from Seoul.

Last edited:
Anyone ever been to South Korea? What did you do in the country? What places are must see and what area should i avoid?
So far i've only booked one tour with these guys https://www.timetour777.com but other than that i am flexible.
Gonna stay in the country for 2,5 weeks in total, flight is to/from Seoul.
The DMZ tour definitely left a mark on me. It is powerful, especially as an American (then) service member.
It rates a big trigger warning. There is a lot of stuff that people might struggle with ("Do not leave road, landmines" being, for me, the least of it. The guys getting beaten to death by North Koreans next to *that tree stump*, that the tour guide points out is another example).
It was an education. I would recommend it despite the trigger warnings.

Seoul is overwhelming. Busan too. I mean, awesome cities, but lit up like the Vegas Strip or Broadway.

Be careful with soju. That stuff is not for amateurs. Especially in the fruit slushy drinks you can find everywhere.

Headed to Key West for snorkeling this weekend!

It is a friend's birthday, but I intend to get at least two excursions in, and one is scheduled for the afternoon I arrive.
Going to go to the reef this time, as the snorkeling in the Gulf of Mexico was underwhelming.

Back