The Crafting Thread - Show Us What You've Made!

I sold a custom cat-ear hat like this one I made for myself, only in different colors. I'm not sure if I've already shared a pic of it in this thread, so if I have, I'm sorry. I'm gonna make several more in different colors and put them in my shop. :)

20230820_195127.jpg

I sold a custom cat-ear hat like this one I made for myself, only in different colors. I'm not sure if I've already shared a pic of it in this thread, so if I have, I'm sorry. I'm gonna make several more in different colors and put them in my shop. :)

*pic snip*
This is so cute!! 🐱

Screenshot_20230912-212320_Gallery.jpg

Pumpkin that's part of a gift. I was afraid making it in this color, it would look more like an onion or garlic or something, but it seems to have turned out ok. :)

Screenshot_20230918-230908_Gallery.jpg

Spider-Woman logo from the front of her costume. I know the spider isn't symmetrical, but that's what Stitch Fiddle spit out for a pattern when I put the original image in. Also, it needs pressing, and I gotta figure out how to display it. But it's done!

I started to knit socks for J. I made him a pair last winter, the very first thing I ever knitted, but he asked if I could make another pair that are a little… longer? higher?

It was surprisingly difficult to get back to the knitting rhythm. I had to start over three times before I managed to not mess up the first rows. My hands get hurty pretty fast now, too, because of the long break I took from knitting. It’s going to be a while until I’m done.

I plan on using several colors on this pair. So far I’ve never changed yarns while knitting so learning that should be interesting as well.

I still haven’t started the crocheted Hollow Knight grub like I had planned. The person who has helped me with knitting and crocheting is moving houses soon, so she’s been really busy and hasn’t had time to give me private craft lessons. I’m hoping to get to try the grub thing at some point, too. But no way I’m gonna start without her helping me.

And in other crafty news, I’ve found another craft to be perfectly mediocre (at best)in. I signed up on a ceramics class with a few friends and I’m making bowls now. Lol.

Last edited:
I started to knit socks for J. I made him a pair last winter, the very first thing I ever knitted, but he asked if I could make another pair that are a little… longer? higher?

It was surprisingly difficult to get back to the knitting rhythm. I had to start over three times before I managed to not mess up the first rows. My hands get hurty pretty fast now, too, because of the long break I took from knitting. It’s going to be a while until I’m done.

I plan on using several colors on this pair. So far I’ve never changed yarns while knitting so learning that should be interesting as well.

I still haven’t started the crocheted Hollow Knight grub like I had planned. The person who has helped me with knitting and crocheting is moving houses soon, so she’s been really busy and hasn’t had time to give me private craft lessons. I’m hoping to get to try the grub thing at some point, too. But no way I’m gonna start without her helping me.

And in other crafty news, I’ve found another craft to be perfectly mediocre (at best)in. I signed up on a ceramics class with a few friends and I’m making bowls now. Lol.

I have problems with hurty hands when I'm crocheting, too, especially in the round. I loom knit or cross stitch from time to time to give myself a break. I think it's because I keep a death grip on my work, even though it's unnecessary, lol.

Good luck with everything you're working on now, and yay for ceramics class! I've always been curious about ceramics. I had a great-aunt that had an entire shop of ceramics she made and sold when I was a kid.

I have problems with hurty hands when I'm crocheting, too, especially in the round. I loom knit or cross stitch from time to time to give myself a break. I think it's because I keep a death grip on my work, even though it's unnecessary, lol.

Good luck with everything you're working on now, and yay for ceramics class! I've always been curious about ceramics. I had a great-aunt that had an entire shop of ceramics she made and sold when I was a kid.
Death grip is a good way to describe how I hold on to the needles when I knit. Sometimes that results to also knitting so tightly that I can barely move the stitches off the needles. I’d probably be better at knitting if I managed to relax a little but nope, it’s sort of an exercise in terror for me and I gotta hold on to the needles like my dear life depends on them lest I mess things up.

Death grip is a good way to describe how I hold on to the needles when I knit. Sometimes that results to also knitting so tightly that I can barely move the stitches off the needles. I’d probably be better at knitting if I managed to relax a little but nope, it’s sort of an exercise in terror for me and I gotta hold on to the needles like my dear life depends on them lest I mess things up.

I feel you, completely. Both my knitting and my crocheting are very, very tight. I have even straight-up broken the yarn when knitting on the sock loom before because I had it pulled so tight. :rolleyes:

I feel you, completely. Both my knitting and my crocheting are very, very tight. I have even straight-up broken the yarn when knitting on the sock loom before because I had it pulled so tight. :rolleyes:
I've been thinking knitting might be good physical therapy. I guess not, huh?

I've been thinking knitting might be good physical therapy. I guess not, huh?
My mother in law was told by her doctors to stop knitting, because it was wearing down her already badly worn out shoulders. Apparently it was about the way you move your elbows, especially if you also look down on your work and much like cashiers and assembly line workers tend to get wear and tear damage, it’s the small repetitive movements over time that can cause problems.

[nerd]
In the short run though, like for seela and Bunny, if you are straining your shoulders, the tension travels down the muscle chain and you get the overly tight knitting there.

It’s pretty much the same but reversed as how training your grip strength with f ex dead hangs can help improve your use of muscles up the movement chain and improve your pull up.

It’s also part of how a nervous rider can make it hard on the horse with the tension travelling down the arms and through the reins.
[/nerd]

Working on not strangling the needlework (or reins/pull up bar) can be good though, if you don’t have other issues already.

Are you hand building or throwing?

Hand building. Throwing looks so much fun though! I’m sure it’d be very difficult, but it looks fun. I’d need someone to reenact the Ghost scene with. 😁
I love throwing. It took me forever to learn how to center and then make something twelve inches tall. It’s been so long since I’ve made anything. With hand building, I like making whistles. You can also add some amazing texture to slab built stuff. I like using walnut shells and other stuff I find outside.

I love throwing. It took me forever to learn how to center and then make something twelve inches tall. It’s been so long since I’ve made anything. With hand building, I like making whistles. You can also add some amazing texture to slab built stuff. I like using walnut shells and other stuff I find outside.
That is so cool, I didn’t know you do ceramics and throw! If you’ve told it here before and I’ve just forgotten, I apologize.

But that’s so cool! Do you have your own pottery studio or where do you throw? I got somewhat interested in pottery watching the Great Pottery Throw Down, and then a friend suggested we actually try to do it ourselves, so I figured why not. I used to hate pottery when I had to do it in school, but now it’s been a lot of fun.

I think I’ve had the most success slab building, because I think my baking skills somehow transfer. Nothing I’ve made so far is pretty or probably even usable and I don’t know what I’m going to do with all the crap I accumulate. It’s been fun nevertheless.

That is so cool, I didn’t know you do ceramics and throw! If you’ve told it here before and I’ve just forgotten, I apologize.

But that’s so cool! Do you have your own pottery studio or where do you throw? I got somewhat interested in pottery watching the Great Pottery Throw Down, and then a friend suggested we actually try to do it ourselves, so I figured why not. I used to hate pottery when I had to do it in school, but now it’s been a lot of fun.

I think I’ve had the most success slab building, because I think my baking skills somehow transfer. Nothing I’ve made so far is pretty or probably even usable and I don’t know what I’m going to do with all the crap I accumulate. It’s been fun nevertheless.
Pottery makes great gifts! I don’t know that I’ve ever mentioned that I do pottery. I don’t do it often enough to have everything in my own studio. I sometimes teach a bit of pottery and make stuff then. I do more painting then anything else.

Pottery makes great gifts! I don’t know that I’ve ever mentioned that I do pottery. I don’t do it often enough to have everything in my own studio. I sometimes teach a bit of pottery and make stuff then. I do more painting then anything else.

I’m sure pottery makes great gifts, if the potter is even half way skilled, which I’m not really. I glazed most of the pieces yesterday. To my great surprise the bowls I made survived theit first trip to the kiln, even if I was very doubtful of that.

Next weekend is the last glazing session, and then after that they’re fired and I can pick up everything if I so wish. Probably won’t, though.

You sound so skilled and artistic! Painting and teaching pottery. It’s nice to learn new things about people. So bad I live so far away, I’d like to hang out with you and learn throwing from you.

I’m sure pottery makes great gifts, if the potter is even half way skilled, which I’m not really. I glazed most of the pieces yesterday. To my great surprise the bowls I made survived theit first trip to the kiln, even if I was very doubtful of that.

Next weekend is the last glazing session, and then after that they’re fired and I can pick up everything if I so wish. Probably won’t, though.

You sound so skilled and artistic! Painting and teaching pottery. It’s nice to learn new things about people. So bad I live so far away, I’d like to hang out with you and learn throwing from you.

I’ve seen people make amazing things when they were new at pottery. I’d love to hang out with you and make stuff too!

I loom knitted a kitty!

This is the first stuffie I've ever loom knit. All the others were crochet. This is a pic of him sitting in the loom I made him on. (He's wonky, but not too bad for a first attempt!)

View attachment 2280205
That is so cute!!!

Back