The Crafting Thread - Show Us What You've Made!

BiBunny

Moon Queen & Wanderer
This thread is for all the Lit artists and crafters out there. Here, you can share what you're working on, what you've finished, or even just what you're about to start on. You can also tell us what kinds of arts and crafts you do and what kind you'd like to start doing. Basically, anything related to arts and crafts, you can put here. :)

I'll go first: I crochet, loom knit (can't knit on needles to save my life), embroider, and cross-stitch. I also own a sewing machine that my dad gave me for Christmas a few years ago, but I'm scared of the thing, so I haven't done much sewing on it yet. I would like to learn needlepoint this year.

I did a lot of crocheting before Christmas, so I'm taking a break from that. I'll upload a pic of the "Happy Valentine's Day" cross-stitch that I'm working on for myself, so y'all can see my WIP.

20221230_205106.jpg

So now it's y'all's turn. Show me your WIPs, your finished pieces, what you want to work on, anything!

I have an ancient cast iron singer machine that is nearly as old as I am. I use it for patching and repairing Outdoor Equipment mostly. Bunny if I can run a sewing machine you can too.

I have an ancient cast iron singer machine that is nearly as old as I am. I use it for patching and repairing Outdoor Equipment mostly. Bunny if I can run a sewing machine you can too.

My sewing machine is fairly old, too. It's from the 70s, I think, and it's in one of those cabinet things or whatever you want to call them. I'm pretty sure it could withstand a nuclear bomb, so I'm not entirely sure why it intimidates me so much. :LOL:

Thanks for starting this thread, Bunny! I love to admire what other people make.

I can crochet a little and knit (on needles) even less, but I'm slowly learning. When I changed jobs last year, a colleague at the old place promised to teach me to crochet and knit so that we’d still be in touch. I figured out crocheting on my own based on what I was taught in school as a kid, but knitting has taken some actual teaching and learning.

The mittens were the first thing I crocheted. I just winged it, so they’re not perfect by any means. And the other yellow thing is a headband WIP. I seem to have deleted all the pictures of it finished without it being on my head and I don’t want to put my face here. I came up with the pattern with the squares myself and I’m stupidly proud of it. I mean, I’m sure someone else has come up with it before and written instructions, but I just landed on that by accident.

The purple thing is also a headband WIP. I’d like to make button holes on it so that it attaches with buttons, but I haven’t quite figured out how that would be the best to do. The purple thing is the same pattern but in a smaller scale as the square one. I haven’t decided if I want the stripy side or the other side to be the side that faces out, so I have to decide that too, on top of figuring out how to do the buttons. Someone less instruction averse might be able to Google this, but I’m just winging it, again. And the reason why headbands are awesome to make: you don’t have to make a “matching” pair like with mittens.

The gray thing is my knitting practice. I’ve started learning a couple of months ago and I’m basically just trying different things and getting comfortable knitting, not making anything at all. Since taking that pic I’ve learned a few new moves, so the knitting practice piece now includes actual holes (intentional, mind you) and currently I’m learning how to read and follow a knitting pattern. Following a pattern or instructions of any kind is not something that comes naturally to me. I only learned to crochet and enjoy it once I stopped trying to follow a pattern and just wing it. Knitting is more complicated and it’s so easy to slip a stitch and then the whole thing unravels, so I have to rely on instructions there. (Boo!)

I much prefer crocheting, my knitting is so clumsy and slow. But I’m hoping by Christmas I’ll have knitted socks for J. Or possibly for someone who has much smaller feet, because his are huge.

I’m also thinking about starting a big crocheting project. I’d like to crochet a blanket, because it’s been difficult to find one that I like that’s also big enough. But it’s a big project for someone with not that much crafting experience, so we’ll see if I dare pick it up. I’d also have to decide on colors and that’s scary! I’m not very good with colors.

Attachments

• 066D4FD7-895D-430C-8168-7D98E3042F62.jpeg
    066D4FD7-895D-430C-8168-7D98E3042F62.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 9
  • EB840143-AAD6-460E-832F-DDFAC4A56F69.jpeg
    EB840143-AAD6-460E-832F-DDFAC4A56F69.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1DE4A5AB-85BD-4F2B-B8C9-B89BAFD5A081.jpeg
    1DE4A5AB-85BD-4F2B-B8C9-B89BAFD5A081.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2E064859-7116-49D8-B032-38C30D43B4B9.jpeg
    2E064859-7116-49D8-B032-38C30D43B4B9.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 936E5313-747B-472D-BB95-401C158DE91D.jpeg
    936E5313-747B-472D-BB95-401C158DE91D.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 10
My grandmother used to make her own clothes. She had a singer sewing machine. The kind that you had to pump with your feet to make it go up and down and sew. Wonder what ever happened to that machine?

People had some lovely things in the old crafting thread: https://forum.literotica.com/threads/crafty-litsters-show-your-work.662409/page-51 Glad to see this topic being revived.

Sadly I've really let the crafting slip in the last few years. I still kibitz on my partner's sewing projects but I've been so busy with other stuff, the closest I've come to crafting recently has been installing wall furniture for the cats.

I typically don't do "artsy" stuff but figured I would give metal sculpture a shot. I finished this last week. I have several ideas for another one when I get a chance.
For reference it's 7 1/4" long 5 1/2" usable and weighs around 2 pounds.

There are more of my creations in the making toys thread.
KIMG0007.jpeg

Thanks for starting this thread, Bunny! I love to admire what other people make.

I can crochet a little and knit (on needles) even less, but I'm slowly learning. When I changed jobs last year, a colleague at the old place promised to teach me to crochet and knit so that we’d still be in touch. I figured out crocheting on my own based on what I was taught in school as a kid, but knitting has taken some actual teaching and learning.

The mittens were the first thing I crocheted. I just winged it, so they’re not perfect by any means. And the other yellow thing is a headband WIP. I seem to have deleted all the pictures of it finished without it being on my head and I don’t want to put my face here. I came up with the pattern with the squares myself and I’m stupidly proud of it. I mean, I’m sure someone else has come up with it before and written instructions, but I just landed on that by accident.

The purple thing is also a headband WIP. I’d like to make button holes on it so that it attaches with buttons, but I haven’t quite figured out how that would be the best to do. The purple thing is the same pattern but in a smaller scale as the square one. I haven’t decided if I want the stripy side or the other side to be the side that faces out, so I have to decide that too, on top of figuring out how to do the buttons. Someone less instruction averse might be able to Google this, but I’m just winging it, again. And the reason why headbands are awesome to make: you don’t have to make a “matching” pair like with mittens.

The gray thing is my knitting practice. I’ve started learning a couple of months ago and I’m basically just trying different things and getting comfortable knitting, not making anything at all. Since taking that pic I’ve learned a few new moves, so the knitting practice piece now includes actual holes (intentional, mind you) and currently I’m learning how to read and follow a knitting pattern. Following a pattern or instructions of any kind is not something that comes naturally to me. I only learned to crochet and enjoy it once I stopped trying to follow a pattern and just wing it. Knitting is more complicated and it’s so easy to slip a stitch and then the whole thing unravels, so I have to rely on instructions there. (Boo!)

I much prefer crocheting, my knitting is so clumsy and slow. But I’m hoping by Christmas I’ll have knitted socks for J. Or possibly for someone who has much smaller feet, because his are huge.

I’m also thinking about starting a big crocheting project. I’d like to crochet a blanket, because it’s been difficult to find one that I like that’s also big enough. But it’s a big project for someone with not that much crafting experience, so we’ll see if I dare pick it up. I’d also have to decide on colors and that’s scary! I’m not very good with colors.

As I said in the other thread, you're doing better than me if you can knit on needles! I can knit and purl on needles, but when it comes to making ribbing--doing both knitting and purling on the same row--I just make a mess of it, and my work ends up tied to the needles somehow. I did this so many times, trying to learn, that I gave up and got some looms to knit on. I don't make such a mess with them!

I, too, prefer crocheting to loom knitting. But, like you said, knitting is preferable for things like socks, so that's why I learned to do it.

I think you're doing great, though! You should've seen some of my first attempts at crochet. They were...interesting. And the less said about my attempts at knitting on needles, the better!

Good luck if you decide to attempt a blanket. I would be happy to help you with colors, if you would like. I started a blanket, like, two years ago, and it's now not even a foot tall yet, lol. So that's how often I work on it.

People had some lovely things in the old crafting thread: https://forum.literotica.com/threads/crafty-litsters-show-your-work.662409/page-51 Glad to see this topic being revived.

Sadly I've really let the crafting slip in the last few years. I still kibitz on my partner's sewing projects but I've been so busy with other stuff, the closest I've come to crafting recently has been installing wall furniture for the cats.

I thought there was an old thread about the topic, but I couldn't remember for sure. Thanks for the link because I'll probably go browsing through it while I'm working or something. :)

I typically don't do "artsy" stuff but figured I would give metal sculpture a shot. I finished this last week. I have several ideas for another one when I get a chance.

View attachment 2199153

That is very impressive! I can't imagine being able to work with metal like that. I think you've done a great job!

As I said in the other thread, you're doing better than me if you can knit on needles! I can knit and purl on needles, but when it comes to making ribbing--doing both knitting and purling on the same row--I just make a mess of it, and my work ends up tied to the needles somehow. I did this so many times, trying to learn, that I gave up and got some looms to knit on. I don't make such a mess with them!

I, too, prefer crocheting to loom knitting. But, like you said, knitting is preferable for things like socks, so that's why I learned to do it.

I think you're doing great, though! You should've seen some of my first attempts at crochet. They were...interesting. And the less said about my attempts at knitting on needles, the better!

Good luck if you decide to attempt a blanket. I would be happy to help you with colors, if you would like. I started a blanket, like, two years ago, and it's now not even a foot tall yet, lol. So that's how often I work on it.

I thought there was an old thread about the topic, but I couldn't remember for sure. Thanks for the link because I'll probably go browsing through it while I'm working or something. :)

That is very impressive! I can't imagine being able to work with metal like that. I think you've done a great job!
Thank you. I'm very glad that I didn't keep track of how many hours I have into it.

Do you have a pic of the loom and something you’ve made with it? I have no clue what it might look like. I know I could Google but where’s the fun in that.

I started my first ever attempt at a sock today. I’ve been only knitting flat until now and now I have five needles all of a sudden and this is new kind of hell. I already messed up the knit-purl thing a little but whatever… I didn’t want to go back and redo because it was so difficult.

I’ll try to take a pic when the sun is up again. I only have a couple of rows now. I keep squeezing the needles so hard that my hands are legit going numb after about 10 minutes, so it’s a veeeeery slow progress.
What kind of a blanket are you making? I can’t do anything cool so I’ll just keep it very basic.

View attachment 2199153
Ooh, I liked metal work a lot when I had it in school. Never did anything like this, obvs, but I was pretty good at welding. ☺️

Really cool to see different kinds of crafts here!

Do you have a pic of the loom and something you’ve made with it? I have no clue what it might look like. I know I could Google but where’s the fun in that.

I started my first ever attempt at a sock today. I’ve been only knitting flat until now and now I have five needles all of a sudden and this is new kind of hell. I already messed up the knit-purl thing a little but whatever… I didn’t want to go back and redo because it was so difficult.

I’ll try to take a pic when the sun is up again. I only have a couple of rows now. I keep squeezing the needles so hard that my hands are legit going numb after about 10 minutes, so it’s a veeeeery slow progress.

What kind of a blanket are you making? I can’t do anything cool so I’ll just keep it very basic.

Sure! I'm attaching a pic of my round looms because that's what I could get my hands on first, but they come in all shapes. I have a rectangular sock loom and also a thing called a Flexee Loom that I haven't even taken out of the box yet that you can adjust to pretty much any shape you want. The large blanket looms are usually in a figure 8 shape.

Looms.jpg

Below are pics of a very basic hat and fingerless glove set I made on looms when I was learning how to loom knit. The photo of the glove on the loom sorta shows how it works. You wrap the yarn around the pegs of the loom and use a loom pick to pull one loop of yarn over another in various configurations to get either a knit or a purl. (There are also other stitches you can do on looms, but I haven't tried them yet. I think you can basically do anything on a loom that you can on needles.) The part you've knitted falls through the inside of the loom, and then you just cast off when you're done.

Glove In Progress.jpgGlove.jpgGloves And Hat.jpg

The blanket I'm working on--and have been for years--is crochet. It's called the millstone stitch, and I did it in my favorite colors: Purple, blue, green, and fuchsia.

Blanket.jpg

The pink looks red in the light, but it's actually a sparkly fuchsia/magenta shade. That's how big it is after, I think, two years of working on it. So I'm not making real fast progress at this point, lol.

Sure! I'm attaching a pic of my round looms because that's what I could get my hands on first, but they come in all shapes. I have a rectangular sock loom and also a thing called a Flexee Loom that I haven't even taken out of the box yet that you can adjust to pretty much any shape you want. The large blanket looms are usually in a figure 8 shape.

View attachment 2200040

Below are pics of a very basic hat and fingerless glove set I made on looms when I was learning how to loom knit. The photo of the glove on the loom sorta shows how it works. You wrap the yarn around the pegs of the loom and use a loom pick to pull one loop of yarn over another in various configurations to get either a knit or a purl. (There are also other stitches you can do on looms, but I haven't tried them yet. I think you can basically do anything on a loom that you can on needles.) The part you've knitted falls through the inside of the loom, and then you just cast off when you're done.

View attachment 2200041View attachment 2200042View attachment 2200043
Wow that’s cool, I’ve never seen that before, or even heard of it. Here everyone just knits on needles and somehow all women or at least those of my age or older know how to do it. Everyone is always surprised when I tell that I can’t. Or now if I tell I’m learning, they’re very surprised that I’m learning only now.
The blanket I'm working on--and have been for years--is crochet. It's called the millstone stitch, and I did it in my favorite colors: Purple, blue, green, and fuchsia.

View attachment 2200044

The pink looks red in the light, but it's actually a sparkly fuchsia/magenta shade. That's how big it is after, I think, two years of working on it. So I'm not making real fast progress at this point, lol.
That looks really nice - and complicated. I’d have to keep mine very simple. I think my colors will be a lot more muted, but I’m hoping to get at least some color worked into the blanket if I ever start making it.

Here’s what I’ve managed to knit so far. Not a lot, but it’s been so difficult and painful. 😁 After I messed up the knit-purl order, I put a safety pin on one side to mark where I have to start the row with two knits and since it’s been a little easier to keep track of things.

How’s your cross stitch coming?

Attachments

• A24744BC-EDDE-480E-8A81-9F801907DC10.jpeg
    A24744BC-EDDE-480E-8A81-9F801907DC10.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 8
  • D57F509B-8249-41B6-B2B3-4B8F7B3DC49F.jpeg
    D57F509B-8249-41B6-B2B3-4B8F7B3DC49F.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Wow that’s cool, I’ve never seen that before, or even heard of it. Here everyone just knits on needles and somehow all women or at least those of my age or older know how to do it. Everyone is always surprised when I tell that I can’t. Or now if I tell I’m learning, they’re very surprised that I’m learning only now.

That looks really nice - and complicated. I’d have to keep mine very simple. I think my colors will be a lot more muted, but I’m hoping to get at least some color worked into the blanket if I ever start making it.

Here’s what I’ve managed to knit so far. Not a lot, but it’s been so difficult and painful. 😁 After I messed up the knit-purl order, I put a safety pin on one side to mark where I have to start the row with two knits and since it’s been a little easier to keep track of things.

How’s your cross stitch coming?

Thank you for the compliment on my blanket! It is very bright and obnoxious because I wanted it that way, lol. I think they've stopped making one of the yarns I used on it, though, so I may not be able to finish it. I guess I can use it as an oddly-colored table runner for my desk or something.

Looks like the knitting is coming along very well! I always use stitch markers when crocheting so I know where I start and end, so I don't blame you for using the safety pin. Makes it way easier than trying to guess or look at it and figure it out, in my opinion.

Cross stitch should be done either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how busy I am at work. The words are finished and so are most of the hearts. I think I have two and a half hearts to finish, and then I'll be done! I'll post it once it's totally finished. :)

I got a cross stitch book for Christmas that has a lot of different alphabets in it and the way you make them. I'm thinking of being cringey and making one for myself that says, "Daddy's Little Kitten" or something like that with a cat face at the bottom. But I can't decide if I want to commit to being that embarrassing or not!

Ok, so cross stitch will have to be finished tomorrow because I'm exhausted. There's just one more heart to go on it.

I'll have to get Anne to send me a picture of one of her knitting projects that I think you all might like. Anne has been knitting for years and it's a bit of a obsession. There is a room in our house just for her yarn, I'd guess that she has a few thousand skeins, all wool since she hates working with synthetics. Fortunately she gets most of it from estate sales and auctions.

She's just getting into spinning her own yarn and has picked up a couple of looms as well.

View attachment 2200040

View attachment 2200041View attachment 2200042View attachment 2200043

View attachment 2200044

I love the jewel tones.
The white and the structured pattern makes them really pop too.

The traditional ”Granny squares” could be a way to break it down a bit, perhaps?

587CAA4E-05A1-4610-A8EB-2716A9EAEC61.jpeg

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-564233

Plus you can take it apart to clean it. A big blanket kan be a bitch to clean depending on the material.

You don’t have to use the scrap yarn, multicolour approach either.
I have a baby blanket in red and white, with a few alternating patterns, that was in both my mothers, mine and the kids’ prams.

I love the jewel tones.
The white and the structured pattern makes them really pop too.

The traditional ”Granny squares” could be a way to break it down a bit, perhaps?

View attachment 2200452

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-564233

Plus you can take it apart to clean it. A big blanket kan be a bitch to clean depending on the material.

You don’t have to use the scrap yarn, multicolour approach either.
I have a baby blanket in red and white, with a few alternating patterns, that was in both my mothers, mine and the kids’ prams.
Granny square things are pretty popular here. Especially as baby blankets. I think that’s why I wouldn’t really want to go that route - the granny squares remind me of baby blankets and summer cottages, not really something I necessarily want to look at day in, day out in my living room. 😁

Cleaning is a good point, I hadn’t thought of that at all. Maybe we’ll just have to get two smaller blankets instead of a big one.

I used to have a bed cover crocheted by my grandmother when I was a kid. It’s not my style, I didn’t like it as a kid and I don’t like it, but I have so much more respect for it now after I’ve tried my hand at crocheting and knitting myself.

When I moved out from my parents home, my mom gave me a rag for cleaning purposes. It was a large kitchen towel that had some holes in it. I’ve had it ever since and use it for wiping the floor mostly. It’s still pretty much in the same condition that it was when I first got it. When my mom last visited, she told me that the towel was woven by my great grandmother. Now I feel bad for using it for cleaning, because it is a nice pattern and all.

"When I moved out from my parents home, my mom gave me a rag for cleaning purposes. It was a large kitchen towel that had some holes in it. I’ve had it ever since and use it for wiping the floor mostly. It’s still pretty much in the same condition that it was when I first got it. When my mom last visited, she told me that the towel was woven by my great grandmother. Now I feel bad for using it for cleaning, because it is a nice pattern and all."

In a throw away world, this is refreshing. Thank you, Seela.

Cleaning is a good point, I hadn’t thought of that at all. Maybe we’ll just have to get two smaller blankets instead of a big one.

I used to have a bed cover crocheted by my grandmother when I was a kid.

Yes, I totally get why the style might not fit.
The idea of smaller parts can be used in a different style though, I think.

I helped a friend crochet some of the squares for a huge white bed spread.
It was put together so it could be taken apart for washing.
I think she ended up selling it, because it was probably more about old dreams about the perfect bedroom, than actually compatible with family life and those Nowegian, long haired cats.

Back