The Travel Thread

I love Venice have you gone out to see the glass making?
No. Just a short one night stay in Venice because flying in there was the most convenient. Venice is a good city to get lost in, and the less crowded areas are nice.

But if you have to cross the Canal Grande, lord have mercy. I don’t have that kind of patience. People inching along in a single file ever so slowly, because everyone stops to take a pic at the same spots etc. Just too many people. And I did not enjoy the smell there either…

No. Just a short one night stay in Venice because flying in there was the most convenient. Venice is a good city to get lost in, and the less crowded areas are nice.

But if you have to cross the Canal Grande, lord have mercy. I don’t have that kind of patience. People inching along in a single file ever so slowly, because everyone stops to take a pic at the same spots etc. Just too many people. And I did not enjoy the smell there either…
That’s a shame maybe next time. It’s a good city to spend a couple of days in. For what it’s worth my wife can attest to the general hotness of watching cut Italian guys blowing glass.

That’s a shame maybe next time. It’s a good city to spend a couple of days in. For what it’s worth my wife can attest to the general hotness of watching cut Italian guys blowing glass.
I’ve been exposed to a ton of glass blowing due to relatives and ice tries it myself too as a teen. It takes a lot of skill and can be cool to watch, but I think glass making has in a way lost its luster for me because of having to go to way too many glass museums and glass bloweries (I decided that is the official term) as a kid. 😁

I’ve been exposed to a ton of glass blowing due to relatives and ice tries it myself too as a teen. It takes a lot of skill and can be cool to watch, but I think glass making has in a way lost its luster for me because of having to go to way too many glass museums and glass bloweries (I decided that is the official term) as a kid. 😁
How healthy is the blowary work for the blower?

How healthy is the blowary work for the blower?
I’m not sure. Obviously the mass is extremely hot, so you’ll have to be very careful not to burn anything. I’d imagine at least some of the things they add to glass aren’t good for the lungs, too. So blowing, no sucking. 😁

In literature there is a mention about the glass blowers of Venice being the most highly paid people.
during one of the Trafalgar tours,I had an opportunity to visit one sch place where I met very young workers all of whom knew that blowing glass was hazardous.
that was ages ago ,i wondered if you had better inputs.

Btw,not all blowing is injurious, some is extremely pleasurable too.

I too have used the term 'Blower' maybe in a different context.

35C/94F with “feels like” index of 39C/102F is not quite my favorite travel weather. The evenings are wonderful, though.

I probably have to stick solely to off-season travel when heading south from home. Which is pretty much all trips. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_8973.jpeg
    IMG_8973.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 6
I have visited about 30 times now. Gdansk is the one place l very much love visiting, especially the old part.
Gdańsk is a cool town with extremely interesting history, and the reconstructed old town is very pretty. It’s the same as in Warsaw, it’s long enough since the reconstruction of the old town that it doesn’t feel that out of place anymore.

When I was in Minsk, they were in the process of reconstructing their old town and the parts that were ready, were such a bizarre place to visit. Old looking houses and cobblestone streets, but everything pristine and modern. Very strange.

I’m not sure. Obviously the mass is extremely hot, so you’ll have to be very careful not to burn anything. I’d imagine at least some of the things they add to glass aren’t good for the lungs, too. So blowing, no sucking. 😁
It is incredibly dangerous. Part of what makes the art's process so riveting to watch. These sorcerers manipulate the burning hot, raw material of the universe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Chihuly

Chihuly is the most amazing artist. If you get to Seattle USA, take a day and go to his exhibits.

Who am I kidding? Wherever there is a Chihuly exhibit, see it. The Bellagio in Las Vegas has a ceiling covered in Chihuly glass in their lobby, for example (https://www.reviewjournal.com/enter...chihulys-art-blossoms-at-bellagio-and-beyond/). There is a good piece in Virginia Beach (https://virginiamoca.org/exhibition/mille-colori-dale-chihuly/). Kansas City Missouri isn't a typical travel recommendation, but the art museum there has an impressive Chihuly piece, too.

Always wanted to go to Adriatic coast. One day…
One of my dream trips (for complicated reasons) is USA (home) to Italy, the ferry from Bari Italy to Durres Albania, then busses along the coast at a leisurely pace through Montenegro, then along the Croatian coast, and eventually to Slovenia, then home again. There are a lot of towns in Croatia I want to see, but Rijeka and Opatija are especially important to me.

One of my dream trips (for complicated reasons) is USA (home) to Italy, the ferry from Bari Italy to Durres Albania, then busses along the coast at a leisurely pace through Montenegro, then along the Croatian coast, and eventually to Slovenia, then home again. There are a lot of towns in Croatia I want to see, but Rijeka and Opatija are especially important to me.
Just curious… why are they important? Family? Past?

Anyway - sounds fabulous. Maybe one day when I win the lottery, I will get lost on the Mediterranean coast, the Adriatic coast, the agean coast and explore all of the Balkans.

One day…

I'd like to see the Mediterranean coast all along. The Alps. East, West and Middle. Travel all around Europe, by train or caravan.

I've been to 15 countries already, but haven't seen enough of even them. But money is an issue. To see everything I want would take months, and can't afford traveling so long.

Just curious… why are they important? Family? Past?

Anyway - sounds fabulous. Maybe one day when I win the lottery, I will get lost on the Mediterranean coast, the Adriatic coast, the agean coast and explore all of the Balkans.

One day…
When I was in the Army....
Yeah, past, but other stuff as well. Not family.

I look forward to seeing Rijeka in civilian attire, without imminent threat of war or cruise missiles overhead.

The Army sent me to Slovenia also, and it was glorious, but much too brief. The most beautiful and under appreciated country I have been to.
(If any veteran of the 44th Armored Battalion reads this, I love you guys and gals.)

A lot of it is the history (King Zog of Albania does not get a tenth the attention of historians that he merits), but current events are complicated and interesting there too. And the Croatian coast is breathtaking.

Preparations for 9 days in Hawai'i continue!
No, I won't be going to Maui. 6 days on Oahu (Honolulu & Waikiki), and three days on Kauai (The Garden Island).
Both islands are west of Maui.

I will stay in Waikiki, but most of what I want to see and do on Oahu is outside that neighborhood.
Lots of snorkeling, and some catching up with friends.

Kauai is more about seeing places I haven't been before. It's beautiful, and there will be a bit of hiking.

I am off to the desert southwest to bake in the heat dome. Relatives in Phoenix, Austin for a few nights, a wedding in Houston and then a couple days in West Texas.

Good thing I don’t mind the heat…

As long as you have visited the Miniatur Wunderland. There is a very special level of hell for people who dare to skip this when going to Hamburg.
When the place you were recommended to visit happens to be next to the dungeon…
00BE993C-2BFC-4EFA-B5B1-CB1A5A441680.jpeg

Just kidding, loved it.

Loved Hamburg.

AA9779BE-6518-4CC6-A156-D5FDA56444C4.jpeg
DE3F8CE2-C355-4F43-AB0F-5F91EE59F949.jpegAA5468DE-73CD-4E6D-B012-859DAFE61B8C.jpeg
6A5FFF67-6EC8-48DC-BFB9-1E6696378168.jpeg

i’m so coming back and the Dungeon is on my list…and the Flakturm at Heiligengeistfeld and Kaltehofe and Blankenese and…
Yeah, coming back.

When the place you were recommended to visit happens to be next to the dungeon…

My special 2:1 for deal. And "dungeon" doesn't need much explanation, unlike a "wunderland" ;-)

Chilehaus? Did you check out the Chocoversum close to it?

My special 2:1 for deal. And "dungeon" doesn't need much explanation, unlike a "wunderland" ;-)
:D
Especially here perhaps.

And while we are on the ”gefährlich”Theme, have you been to the Flakturm?
Is Uebel ung gefährlich worth a visit in itself or should a Nerd like me perhaps rather take a look at the bunker during the day.
Or perhaps both?

Chilehaus? Did you check out the Chocoversum close to it?

We saw it but it was almost closing time.
Any rumors you have heard about uncontrolled crying outside are grossly exaggerated.
It’s on my list.

Warmly recommend Sausalitos in the Chilehaus though.
And the Prototyp Automuseum is worth it even if you don’t care a bit about cars.

And while we are on the topic of chocolate, a thing you might have missed at the Wunderland as it is in the ladies’ room:
82C2AF68-DDBE-4E87-9C36-56AC9BBBEA9A.jpeg

Back