Trick to finding an Editor?

MarcDwayne

Novice
Hello Everyone,

I think I am missing some steps in trying to find an editor. I have not submitted a story yet, as I thought it would be wise to find an 'erotica familiar' set of eyes. I composed a cover letter, and then sent maybe four requests and got the message, "limit" has been reached.

Sadly, none of the editors got back to me. I truly understand, as they do it for free. I have zero expectations. However, any eyes are kind eyes.

What am I doing wrong?

As I post this, I am reading all the FAQ's - and using some outside help for my first story ...

I think I may just have to bite the publishing bullet alone. The horror!

Marc Dwayne

Are you looking for developmental editing, line editing, copy editing, or proofreading help?

I've done my share of editing other authors work in the past, but I no longer do so for a couple reasons. Some of what you get is a hopeless mess that is nearly impossible to correct without a re-write. Some of what you get is pretty good and I felt good about helping those authors. Some don't really say what they want help with. It's just "Here it is. What do I need to change?"

There are always some authors who don't take criticism very well, and I got tired of debating why a comma should go here instead of there and why I said they should keep the paragraph size down to ten lines or less.

You may find it easier once you've published something and prospective editors will have something to look at that gives them an indication of the level of editing necessary.

I've done my share of editing other authors work in the past, but I no longer do so for a couple reasons. Some of what you get is a hopeless mess that is nearly impossible to correct without a re-write. Some of what you get is pretty good and I felt good about helping those authors. Some don't really say what they want help with. It's just "Here it is. What do I need to change?"

There are always some authors who don't take criticism very well, and I got tired of debating why a comma should go here instead of there and why I said they should keep the paragraph size down to ten lines or less.
Thank you. This makes sense. I have read my fair share of suspect submissions. I guess I am trying to be suspicious.

Thank you. This makes sense. I have read my fair share of suspect submissions. I guess I am trying to be suspicious.
Hi Marc, I enjoy erotica and proofreading/copy editing equally. You're welcome to PM me to work out something on a one-off basis to start with. I'd expect it to work like you send me your raw copy and I send back with the changes I'd make, then we either agree to disagree and part ways or else we think there may be something.

Hello Everyone,

I think I am missing some steps in trying to find an editor. I have not submitted a story yet, as I thought it would be wise to find an 'erotica familiar' set of eyes. I composed a cover letter, and then sent maybe four requests and got the message, "limit" has been reached.

Sadly, none of the editors got back to me. I truly understand, as they do it for free. I have zero expectations. However, any eyes are kind eyes.

What am I doing wrong?

As I post this, I am reading all the FAQ's - and using some outside help for my first story ...

I think I may just have to bite the publishing bullet alone. The horror!

Marc Dwayne
Hey Marc,

Not to worry about biting the publishing bullet alone! Most writers on Lit do not use an editor. [I do, though - Kenjisato helps me with lots of homonyms etc. - not the thematic or content stuff. He is very good at the grammar elements. Look him up and make contact.]

From a first impression of reading your text here, I'm of the opinion you will be just fine. You understand sentence structure, paragraphing and are clearly organized from the background preparations you have made.

There are free tools that have some assistance. Grammarly for instance has a free version and does well for most grammar issues. If that's your hold up, give it a try and see if you see improvement.

Hey, if you 'have zero expectations,' then why the anxious palpitation? Just go for it. I started that way, as many others have. Lit is forgiving in its readership for the most part. It's not like you have a paycheck riding on it.

Go for it!

Trick to finding an Editor?​

Hi Marc,

To echo what others say, what do you want from your editor? That could range from catching a few typos and obvious plot holes to essentially rewriting your work.

It would help to be more specific.

Em

I'll PM you.
thank you!
Hi Marc,

To echo what others say, what do you want from your editor? That could range from catching a few typos and obvious plot holes to essentially rewriting your work.

Em
Hi Marc,

Em
Hello Em - it was using the portal to contact editors that was causing me confusion. I was not getting responses and then seem to come to a "limit" of how many requests I could make. I thought I was doing it wrong. Lucky for me, posting here was the charm as I have been contacted and have received some awesome feedback. Another step on my journey here.

To answer your question - I needed a reality check (I got that) and some feedback on my current work (I got that too) and actually understanding what an editor could do ..

Which was - can I write? Should I write? What do I need to improve ... etc ...

thank you!

Hello Em - it was using the portal to contact editors that was causing me confusion. I was not getting responses and then seem to come to a "limit" of how many requests I could make. I thought I was doing it wrong. Lucky for me, posting here was the charm as I have been contacted and have received some awesome feedback. Another step on my journey here.

To answer your question - I needed a reality check (I got that) and some feedback on my current work (I got that too) and actually understanding what an editor could do ..

Which was - can I write? Should I write? What do I need to improve ... etc ...
Glad you are starting to get what you want.

That sounds more like just general feedback and pointers as opposed to editing.

I’d say chat to people here and read some of their work. If there are people whose stuff you like, tell them. We are all suckers for flattery. They might volunteer to reciprocate.

I think the best people to give feedback are those who take an interest in you, who want to help you improve. Sure the thoughts of a stranger can be helpful and more direct sometimes. But - if you want to grow as a writer - making connections with other writers is a good thing.

Seems like you are already making progress 😊.

Good luck.

Em

PS it’s a community here, if someone helps you, acknowledge it in your story. It’s both the right thing to do and helps to build up a supportive network where everyone benefits.

Just gonna add a caveat to this:

Ask whoever helps you if they want you to acknowledge them. In my experience some love the acknowledgement, some don't want the extra exposure (this one applies to me), and some are completely indifferent. It's polite to ask their preference.
Agree entirely with that 😊. The default should be to acknowledge, but please check as well.

Em

It really shouldn't. The default should be to ask their preference.

They helped, let them decide if they want acknowledged for that.

Don't make assumptions on their behalf based on your own personal preference. (This goes for me as well because my preference is to not be acknowledged and it wouldn't be fair of me to not acknowledge someone who wanted to be acknowledged for their help.)
I think we are agreeing, hun.

Em

Very slight disagreement with your wording. "The default should be to acknowledge" vs "The default should be to ask."

A minor difference but still one worth stressing, at least in my opinion.
I totally think that the default should be to acknowledge. Most of the time it’s just decent human behavior. But - and here I am modifying what I wrote slightly to be more clear - not without checking first (which incidentally I always do - and also let the person review the text of how I acknowledge their help). Of course some will want to stay in the shadows, which is totally fine.

I am implacably opposed to the alternative: assume no acknowledgement is needed, unless specifically requested. That’s a dick move in my opinion. And it disrespects the person and the community.

Em

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a dick move to not acknowledge. Most people will tend to assume their own preferences unless told otherwise.

It would be my thought that acknowledging without clear approval to do so would be a dick move as well. I'd be wrong but that would still be my opinion on it because my desire would be no acknowledgement.

Nothing wrong with either really. Just a difference of opinion. But that is why I think we should normalize asking the other person's preferences, or stating our own up front.
As before, we are agreeing

Em

As a professional editor and proofreader, I'll try and explain why people might not want credit.

You get a text to look at, you make your edits, and you return it to the client. The thing is, though, that your edits are only *suggestions*. The client (or here on Lit, the author) gets to do with them what they want. They might reject every single one. They might rewrite the text and add bits that you haven't seen. They might send it to a second editor, who makes other changes.

I've been credited for work that wasn't my work. Where the client's final version was nothing like the version I returned. Worse, usually, and that's not my professional pride speaking, it's just that there's a reason why people have their texts edited and proofread.

So that poor work had my name attached to it. That reflects badly on me. So usually my policy is to get paid and get out. The client can take my work and do with it what they want. But one way or another, once it goes from "Outbox" to "Sent items", it's no longer my text but the client's.

As a professional editor and proofreader, I'll try and explain why people might not want credit.

You get a text to look at, you make your edits, and you return it to the client. The thing is, though, that your edits are only *suggestions*. The client (or here on Lit, the author) gets to do with them what they want. They might reject every single one. They might rewrite the text and add bits that you haven't seen. They might send it to a second editor, who makes other changes.

I've been credited for work that wasn't my work. Where the client's final version was nothing like the version I returned. Worse, usually, and that's not my professional pride speaking, it's just that there's a reason why people have their texts edited and proofread.

So that poor work had my name attached to it. That reflects badly on me. So usually my policy is to get paid and get out. The client can take my work and do with it what they want. But one way or another, once it goes from "Outbox" to "Sent items", it's no longer my text but the client's.
I totally get that. And if I was being paid, I’d be the same.

As we are on the honor system here and most proof-reading, beta reading, and editing is community based and pro bono, then my “pay” is having my contributions acknowledged. That’s what normal people do, save for exceptionally when they are publicity shy.

If I think a work is irredeemable, I’ll withdraw. But that’s not really what we are talking about here. Or rather we seem to be focusing on edge cases.

Most of the time - and I’ve been on both sides of this many times here with different authors and reviewers - a high proportion of what is suggested is accepted by the author. And it improves the work.

If I’m the author, of course I’d check (and do) that the person who helped is OK, but my working assumption is “if you improved my work, then you get credit.” Fair is fair.

If I’m the reviewer (in whichever capacity), I expect the free of charge effort I put in to be acknowledged in exactly the same way.

This is not a terribly controversial opinion. And it has nothing to do with paid editing (which I’m not qualified to do anyway).

Edge cases may have all sorts of reasons not to have their name against a work. Those should be 100% respected. But the normal run of things is that authors help other authors and the receiving author is grateful and says so. That’s just common politeness.

Em

I totally get that. And if I was being paid, I’d be the same.

As we are on the honor system here and most proof-reading, beta reading, and editing is community based and pro bono, then my “pay” is having my contributions acknowledged. That’s what normal people do, save for exceptionally when they are publicity shy.

If I think a work is irredeemable, I’ll withdraw. But that’s not really what we are talking about here. Or rather we seem to be focusing on edge cases.

Most of the time - and I’ve been on both sides of this many times here with different authors and reviewers - a high proportion of what is suggested is accepted by the author. And it improves the work.

If I’m the author, of course I’d check (and do) that the person who helped is OK, but my working assumption is “if you improved my work, then you get credit.” Fair is fair.

If I’m the reviewer (in whichever capacity), I expect the free of charge effort I put in to be acknowledged in exactly the same way.

This is not a terribly controversial opinion. And it has nothing to do with paid editing (which I’m not qualified to do anyway).

Edge cases may have all sorts of reasons not to have their name against a work. Those should be 100% respected. But the normal run of things is that authors help other authors and the receiving author is grateful and says so. That’s just common politeness.

Em
Of course, and I get what you're saying. I'm just explaining why someone might not want their name on a story. Ergo, always ask first.

Of course, and I get what you're saying. I'm just explaining why someone might not want their name on a story. Ergo, always ask first.
Never any question about that.

Just the default should be to be kind and supportive and grateful. Save when that’s not wanted.

Em

Here's the trick to finding an editor
Go to a community college and take a few English Lit classes and do it yourself. Put the ProWritingAid sofware on your machine and have at.

I personally contacted 100 "Volunteer Editors" and only 1 answered my request. Just one, and she told me in an email that was over a thousand words long that she was too busy. If I sound synical it's because I've found the "Volunteer Editor" program to be a sham. People sign up and walk away. Laurel needs to purge the list and start fresh.

Here's the trick to finding an editor
Go to a community college and take a few English Lit classes and do it yourself. Put the ProWritingAid sofware on your machine and have at.

I personally contacted 100 "Volunteer Editors" and only 1 answered my request. Just one, and she told me in an email that was over a thousand words long that she was too busy. If I sound synical it's because I've found the "Volunteer Editor" program to be a sham. People sign up and walk away. Laurel needs to purge the list and start fresh.
Yeah me too. Though only maybe 20 before I gave up.

Em

Back