Editors, how often do you use them?

BBlaketbv

Virgin
For my very first story (and part 2) I contacted an editor. The story got sent back with some links to helpful sites to improve my writing, and a suggestion to find an editor. It really helped me find a lot of my mistakes.
However, after that I've posted two more stories, without letting an editor proof read it.
Sure, my stories have a few errors, but three out of four still are above 4.5 rating.

I'm wondering how often do you make use of the editors?

Professionally? Plenty. If I'm getting paid, a second pair of eyes are worth their weight in gold. Assuming that eyeballs don't weigh that much.

Here? Never. I won't say my writing is faultless, but I like to think my command of English spelling, grammar and punctuation is right up there with the best. I've spent the past 30 years developing that skill at the highest level.

I also read through my stories as I'm writing them to spot inconsistencies. The final check is Read Aloud in Word. This catches pretty much all the remaining typos, and has the advantage of letting me hear any awkward sentences or repetitions.

Never.

I tried to find and editor when I first joined. The response was tumbleweed.

I work with friends and acquaintances that I have since made in a variety of capacities which are difficult to pigeon hole but might include:

1. Running story concepts by someone to gauge if it has legs
  2. Sharing sections of a story as I write it for feedback
  3. Asking for help when stuck
  4. Saying things like, “this is a bit too clinical, any ideas?”
  5. What might be termed alpha or beta readers
There are lots of nice and talented people here, but it helps to:

1. Have published a bit already, so people know what to expect
  2. Tried to get to known people a bit
Oh, and I tend to reciprocate with people. It’s a community. Most people try to help and support each other.

Em

Like @EmilyMiller, never. I tried as well, and where she got tumbleweeds, I got crickets...

One of the reasons I recently started posting on this forum, was to try and build some of those relationships she mentioned.

I use a grammar tool called Pro Writing Aide. it was cheap and is a lot better than Word. I also use the Read Aloud feature as described by @StillStunned.
That and hours and hours of re-reading and editing on my own. I may be self taught, but since I started writing, I've found I no longer make a lot of the mistakes that are so prevalent in my early works.

Shelby

Like @EmilyMiller, never. I tried as well, and where she got tumbleweeds, I got crickets...

One of the reasons I recently started posting on this forum, was to try and build some of those relationships she mentioned.

I use a grammar tool called Pro Writing Aide. it was cheap and is a lot better than Word. I also use the Read Aloud feature as described by @StillStunned.
That and hours and hours of re-reading and editing on my own. I may be self taught, but since I started writing, I've found I no longer make a lot of the mistakes that are so prevalent in my early works.

Shelby
The single thing that has reduced the quantum of stupid typos in my work is using Safari text to voice and the Lit preview pane. I write in Word, but as I use HTML, it’s annoying to get Word to read to me (though I think the Word read aloud is stronger in many ways).

Em

The single thing that has reduced the quantum of stupid typos in my work is using Safari text to voice and the Lit preview pane. I write in Word, but as I use HTML, it’s annoying to get Word to read to me (though I think the Word read aloud is stronger in many ways).

Em
I don't want to derail this thread, but HTML... Can I ask why?

Honestly, I cringe at how many typos I must have left in my work before I discovered Read Aloud, even with a colleague checking the text as well.

For my very first story (and part 2) I contacted an editor. The story got sent back with some links to helpful sites to improve my writing, and a suggestion to find an editor. It really helped me find a lot of my mistakes.
However, after that I've posted two more stories, without letting an editor proof read it.
Sure, my stories have a few errors, but three out of four still are above 4.5 rating.

Every time. Monday, I should have a story published. I sent it to 24 beta-readers, got responses back from 16. Several of the responses were word-by-word edits of the story. What I find amazing is how little overlap there is in the errors the editors find.

How do you expect to get better at writing if you don't have someone giving you detailed feedback on your writing?

At the end of each of my stories, I ask for beta-readers. That's how I've gotten the majority of my beta-readers/editors.

That being said, I think that it's easy for people to volunteer to edit for me because the story is pretty clean when I send it to them. Not many people have the stomach to edit something that's full of errors.

Never. Not because I thought I was good enough to go without them, but because they refused to answer my request for help. One story I wrote was very important to me so I contacted dozens of "Volunteer Editors" and only one responded to my request for assistance and she offered to sell me a picture of her tits. So I decided to go without editors. Sixty three Hs later I think I made a good decision.

As for that story I wanted help with? I worked on it myself then sent it in for publishing. It was A Krissmas Karole and I think we did ok.

This is a personal statement.
I am not an experienced writer. My punctuation and grammar are attrocious.
I found the most wonderful thing that happened to me was finding an editor.
I was fortunate, that she found me actually. LOL. I could never thank her enough.
She transformed the way I write, made me think about things I had never considered.
It's not just about the basic grammar. A good editor will pick up that stuff.
A great editor will make suggestions. Explain how you can be more precise, build emotion, allow the story to breathe without starving it of life blood.
A great editor, will help and guide you. Challenge you to do better, to use whatever meagre talent you have.

The editor who has been helping me, actually won the most helpful editor award this year. As she has every year since inception.

I truly believe the best thing you can do is find an editor. Then, build a good relationship with them. Listen to their suggestions.

This of course is only my opinion.

Cagivagurl

Grammar need not be perfect. I know, to some, that's a sacrilege. However, how it sounds in your mind as you read the story is far more important than the perfection of grammar.

I read another's authors work before she publishes. She calls it editing...I call it throwing ideas around or questioning what she meant in sentences.

I can see her mistakes....but in my own works...not a chance!

I think we are all like that. Well, most of us are like that, and others just don't admit to it.
I read another's authors work before she publishes. She calls it editing...I call it throwing ideas around or questioning what she meant in sentences.

I can see her mistakes....but in my own works...not a chance!

At the end of each of my stories, I ask for beta-readers. That's how I've gotten the majority of my beta-readers/editors.
But isn't the story already published then? And when you ask for beta readers (16 responses out of 24 requests), where do you do that?

Grammar need not be perfect. I know, to some, that's a sacrilege. However, how it sounds in your mind as you read the story is far more important than the perfection of grammar.
True, but in some of my early stuff, my sentences(?) are a page long with enough commas to make Oxford, Walken, and Shatner blush. We have to allow for style, but, well, let's just say, I'm glad i got better. :)

On few stories, back in the day, I'd put a line at the end of the story, "If you'd like read my next story before publication, and help me make it better, contact me."
But isn't the story already published then? And when you ask for beta readers (16 responses out of 24 requests), where do you do that?

Last edited:
I would never publish a story without having a second set of eyes on it first. I can't see my own problems, whether typos or awkward language or lack of clarity. But I've always had to rely on acquaintances. Request for editors/beta readers doesn't produce anything.

I don't use an editor on Literotica. I check my stories thoroughly, and I've never had major issues or comments (not that I get a lot anyway) about grammar or errors, so I'm satisfied with that. Also, my writing here is very much a private, "secret" thing, so I prefer not to collaborate in any way on my stories. Plus, it's a hobby, and I assume working with an editor would eat up my time. That works for me. 😉

Back