Advice appreciated on how to deal with editor's allegation of AI use

Interstices1

Virgin
I've had a story returned with an allegation that an AI partially wrote the story or was (overly) used in the editing process. I don't use AI in writing fiction beyond considering suggestions from Word's grammar checker. This is the first time I have encountered this issue.

The message did not explain how this conclusion was reached or how to demonstrate that AI was not used. The only suggestion was to liaise with a volunteer editor. While editors are helpful, it is difficult to see how they could assist in making my writing seem less like it is AI-generated (or AI-edited), especially if we don't know how that is assessed.

There is debate about the reliability of AI-detection software. But - I've put the story through three tools, and all three reported less than a ten per cent likelihood that the text was AI-generated. Do Literotica's editors accept such reports as evidence in defense of an AI-generated/edited claim?

This is a challenging time for creators and content publishers having to work through these issues. I am sure others have already faced this problem and will appreciate your advice on how to work through it, given the limited guidance provided by the editors.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Third time in two days…

1. Search for similar threads here
  2. Start a convo with @Laurel the co-owner and submissions editor
Em
Acknowledged. Thank you for taking the time to respond. When I posted, I didn't realise this is a problem many others are experiencing.

Rather than add to the numerous complaints Laurel must be dealing with, it may be easier to wait for further guidance to be issued. Given the number of posts about this problem, I am sure a solution will be forthcoming soon.

Thank you again for your gracious response. I now know that I should have searched the forum first.

If it gets rejected upon resubmission and saying no AI was used, I wouldn't bother again in the current climate. Cultivate another venue for anything Lit flags as AI until the probable storm of AI-generated crapflap overwhelming the queue dies down. What's happening smells of that, and if you're genuinely not using AI, you're an unfortunate victim of friendly fire because the whole horizon is covered in bot-zombies.

So long as the queue is overwhelmed and Laurel is having to depend on AI detectors that are about as reliable as a tissue paper bucket, there's not much point in adding to the workload with multiple resubmissions. It's just banging your head against a brick wall.

Acknowledged. Thank you for taking the time to respond. When I posted, I didn't realise this is a problem many others are experiencing.

Rather than add to the numerous complaints Laurel must be dealing with, it may be easier to wait for further guidance to be issued. Given the number of posts about this problem, I am sure a solution will be forthcoming soon.

Thank you again for your gracious response. I now know that I should have searched the forum first.
I’d not hold my breath.

PM her - she’s lovely. But very busy.

Em

If it gets rejected upon resubmission and saying no AI was used, I wouldn't bother again in the current climate. Cultivate another venue for anything Lit flags as AI until the probable storm of AI-generated crapflap overwhelming the queue dies down. What's happening smells of that, and if you're genuinely not using AI, you're an unfortunate victim of friendly fire because the whole horizon is covered in bot-zombies.

So long as the queue is overwhelmed and Laurel is having to depend on AI detectors that are about as reliable as a tissue paper bucket, there's not much point in adding to the workload with multiple resubmissions. It's just banging your head against a brick wall.
Some who have persisted have prevailed

Em

I've had a story returned with an allegation that an AI partially wrote the story or was (overly) used in the editing process. I don't use AI in writing fiction beyond considering suggestions from Word's grammar checker. This is the first time I have encountered this issue.

The message did not explain how this conclusion was reached or how to demonstrate that AI was not used. The only suggestion was to liaise with a volunteer editor. While editors are helpful, it is difficult to see how they could assist in making my writing seem less like it is AI-generated (or AI-edited), especially if we don't know how that is assessed.

First thing to try is just to resubmit the story as-is, using the "Notes" field to say that no AI was used. This isn't guaranteed to work, but OTOH it's low effort.

If it still gets bounced, then goto RejectReality's advice above :-/

I've put the story through three tools, and all three reported less than a ten per cent likelihood that the text was AI-generated. Do Literotica's editors accept such reports as evidence in defense of an AI-generated/edited claim?
You might try messaging Laurel directly via "Conversation" (upper right of this page), giving this information.

Some who have persisted have prevailed

Em
If someone wants to keep hammering away, that's their prerogative. They're probably just adding to the problem at that point. I have no way of actually knowing that the queue is overloaded with horrible AI-generated garbage, but the reaction we're seeing and the fad of churning stuff out with AI right now strongly suggests it.

If anything of mine gets bounced after a resubmit, it's not going up here for the foreseeable future. If some middle chapter gets bounced, the whole thing will come down. I've got other venues. They don't have nearly the traffic, but the effort vs. reward calculation fails to balance after the first resubmit. Most of mine have near simultaneous multi-venue releases anyway.

If someone wants to keep hammering away, that's their prerogative. They're probably just adding to the problem at that point. I have no way of actually knowing that the queue is overloaded with horrible AI-generated garbage, but the reaction we're seeing and the fad of churning stuff out with AI right now strongly suggests it.

If anything of mine gets bounced after a resubmit, it's not going up here for the foreseeable future. If some middle chapter gets bounced, the whole thing will come down. I've got other venues. They don't have nearly the traffic, but the effort vs. reward calculation fails to balance after the first resubmit. Most of mine have near simultaneous multi-venue releases anyway.
Not sure I’d recommend hammering. But polite inquiry often works for me.

Em

Can we get @Laurel to just pin this response?

As much as I agree with Em that this is probably the only thing you CAN do after resubmitting while adding a note explaining that there wasn't any AI involved... it's not gonna help anyone. And it's not gonna stop anyone from being frustrated and wanting to vent.

Personally, I kinda reached the point where I would almost tell people to just submit their stories somewhere else instead of even trying. Because, going by what I have read here in the forum over the past two months, it's turning into a real hassle to get stories published after being rejected once. And while there have been people who prevailed after persisting, there also have been people who had their entire story-catalog on lit deleted after persisting. Now, sure, we still don't know whether that particular author might not just have thrown insults at Laurel, and THAT'S why their old stories were deleted as well, but the stories that were deleted all had red H's, so...

As much as I agree with Em that this is probably the only thing you CAN do after resubmitting while adding a note explaining that there wasn't any AI involved... it's not gonna help anyone. And it's not gonna stop anyone from being frustrated and wanting to vent.

Personally, I kinda reached the point where I would almost tell people to just submit their stories somewhere else instead of even trying. Because, going by what I have read here in the forum over the past two months, it's turning into a real hassle to get stories published after being rejected once. And while there have been people who prevailed after persisting, there also have been people who had their entire story-catalog on lit deleted after persisting. Now, sure, we still don't know whether that particular author might not just have thrown insults at Laurel, and THAT'S why their old stories were deleted as well, but the stories that were deleted all had red H's, so...
I know. It’s not happened to me (no AI is sick enough to make up my shit). My only point is Laurel is a person and can be appealed to.

Em

I know. It’s not happened to me (no AI is sick enough to make up my shit). My only point is Laurel is a person and can be appealed to.

Em

Actually, I haven't heard anything about Lit having the same problem as Amazon, where hundreds of bots submit a plethora of AI-generated garbage she needs to sift through... but I sure hope that's not the case.

I couldn't even imagine how much work that must turn out to be.

Actually, I haven't heard anything about Lit having the same problem as Amazon, where hundreds of bots submit a plethora of AI-generated garbage she needs to sift through... but I sure hope that's not the case.

I couldn't even imagine how much work that must turn out to be.
Even if you consider the number of stories posted each day (i.e. excluding whatever the reject % is) it’s a crazy workload.

Em

The prevelance of this issue begs the question, what about a story causes it get flagged? Sentence structure, the way the story flows, word use? Has anyone reached out to someone in the know, concerning AI?

The prevelance of this issue begs the question, what about a story causes it get flagged? Sentence structure, the way the story flows, word use? Has anyone reached out to someone in the know, concerning AI?
There's this post in thread '"AI" Rejection' https://forum.literotica.com/threads/ai-rejection.1597700/post-97744578

But again we circle back to 1) we don't know the details of Lit's tools, and 2) most people don't want to change their writing just to appease the AI detector.

Not sure I’d recommend hammering. But polite inquiry often works for me.

Em
And after the first resubmission for what people know without a doubt is a false positive, just how polite do you think the inquiries are going to be going forward after that second rejection?

I'd like to enter into evidence every thread on the subject for the last few months.

People are better off accepting that the current AI response is emergency sandbags, and until the flood stops coming, the levy isn't getting repaired.

I got hit with the AI rejection on my latest, part two of a series. I'm not going to lie, it sucked. All my stuff is right out of my head. I considered throwing in the towel, but after reading the advice given to start a convo with Laurel, I did that. I know she's busy, but there's been no reply as yet, and I was very polite.

I edited the start of my story to make it a bit wordier and resubmitted.

If I get rejected again I'll take the hint and bow out.

You can go to this free site: AI Detector and run a few paragraphs at a time through it and it will highlight the text that could be identified as being written by AI. You can then take those parts and fiddle with them until it is detected as being written by a human.

HTH

You can go to this free site: AI Detector and run a few paragraphs at a time through it and it will highlight the text that could be identified as being written by AI. You can then take those parts and fiddle with them until it is detected as being written by a human.

HTH
Just as a test, I put 1000 words of something I wrote yesterday.

Josh was running for his life.
He shook his head.
I was almost done with this one.
These, and others were flagged as "This content looks too robotic".

How Artificial is Your Content

Probability of 24.32%

😇Likely Human

Back