Lost my Cherry in LW!

Hello Everyone -

I have posted here a couple of times. Thankk you to everyone that has helped! It is appreciated.

First, I was in search of an editor—or better yet, my failed search for an editor. I had a behemoth of a first effort and knew I needed an editor. No-can-do, it seems. I had some "friends" who tried, but I think a story destined for the Loving Wives category requires an interested reader. My friends were kinky, but not for the arc of an LW story.

My Cconclusion from the "Editor" search: Publish something, then look for an editor (advice I got here). This has worked and as I recover from losing my publishing virginity, I am now hopeful I can find an editor or two.

Second was to ask everyone here if I should publish it as one big story or in a series over time.

As 'one story' was the most popular, but in a series (only if completed), was a close second. I had written 90% of the story and painfully edited it myself (a long learning process), to which I got some "editor" feedback. Mainly, your work is so messy that it's not ready for an editor. The horror.

Here is the rub. For my first effort, I didn't write a short story; I wrote a four-part, 109K word small book. What was I thinking?

I released the verbose part one and got eviscerated in the comments section, but there was also a slow rumble of support and encouragement. Part two came quickly, and I informed everyone there would be a final part three. Then I split the ending and published part 3, adding that there was a part 4 conclusion coming. I had not written the ending. You can guess how that went.

The comments - oh, the comments - it burns! The feedback ranged from downright nasty to outright encouragement. Please finish the story! These actually paralyzed me. I'd been warned LW feedback would be spirited, so I was prepared to an extent. It did stop me dead in my tracks.

Do I change direction? Heed the haters? Address all the constructive feedback? Or - die by the sword I began the work?

Conclusion—releasing in a series felt right, given the length of the story. Not having the ending ready, even for the final edit, was a mistake. The delay was unfair, but I never thought anyone would read past part 1. After some thought, I chose "dying by the sword" and followed my notes full speed ahead.

I survived. Here is the list of my feedback conclusions.

Taking in all feedback in the aggregate was a massive learning experience. Thank you everyone!

1)The story was way too long
2)To brave in the point of view changes
3) Too much overlap and repetition in the story
4) God forbid too much sex
5) Deplorable characters (I really tried to make each flawed and two-dimensional, with redemption always possible, but I was shocked at the judgments people made. This is noted for the future)
6) I'm a total shit writer
7) Enough positive feedback to ignore those that claimed #6
8) And all the rest

So why am I here?

This was the most extensive effort I ever made to be a writer. This was my 101 writers' workshop. There is a wonderful feeling that people read what I wrote, and even those who hated it still opened my eyes.

Yet, I am still trying to figure out what the stats tell me. I know I will continue to write, as the encouragement was inspiring. All of these stats were surprising to me: 73 followers, 41K views, 108 comments (still coming), and a 3.6 average rating (which is not terrible in LW I have read, but what do I know).

My writer's surprise is probably why I am writing this big thing here.

1) Messy writing did not come into the feedback equation. Verbose, yes. Point of view switching and overlap, yes. But not messy writing. This was my biggest fear. Now, I still need to learn how to write better. My prose is often messy, and I break the rules, but I made considerable efforts to write dialog and explore points of view. I will have to thank @Altissimus for his initial offer of feedback on this subject. Also @ElectricBlue - yes I am still Marvin the Paranoid Android but your feedback did shift me.

2) Character development—I wrote every character as flawed with two sides. I was floored that readers made choices, ignored the conflict I tried to create, and left room for awareness, growth, or redemption. I did get feedback that this had worked, but my question here is this: Should I exaggerate the positives and negatives? Should I really stay true to the Hero and Villain? Or should I just write them as I see them?

3) Confirming that LW is a minefield but also that I agree with @NoTalentHack - from his excellent Reviews and Essays called "Loving Locing Wives." The very challenge has improved me.

4) Really, too much sex?

5) Back to point - one. I would like to find an editor.

Last, thank you, everyone. I was on a small island in trepidation about publishing that behemoth I wrote. It was in this forum (I forgot the member) that I got the very simple feedback: Just publish and let the chips fall. That and other feedback I got in this forum really pushed me over the edge. So, thank you!

Marc
Congratulations.
You have taken your biggest step... You posted a story. For that I commend you.
It is no mean achievement posting, especially in LW. It can be cathartic though.
My advice for what it's worth (Not much BTW) Ignore the nay sayers. Absorb those who actually commented on the quality of the writing. Hidden amongst the dross, maybe some pearls.
I see there are some folks suggesting changing category...
Don't do it... Sometimes when changing categories, you lose some of the readers. LW is filled with readers who never venture out of the category.
You survived your first story, try again. Be brave, valiant and don't be disc ouraged.
If I took the advice of angry commenters. I'd already have a 6 inch nail in my forehead...
Good luck
Cagivagurl

Congratulations.
You have taken your biggest step... You posted a story. For that I commend you.
It is no mean achievement posting, especially in LW. It can be cathartic though.
My advice for what it's worth (Not much BTW) Ignore the nay sayers. Absorb those who actually commented on the quality of the writing. Hidden amongst the dross, maybe some pearls.
I see there are some folks suggesting changing category...
Don't do it... Sometimes when changing categories, you lose some of the readers. LW is filled with readers who never venture out of the category.
You survived your first story, try again. Be brave, valiant and don't be disc ouraged.
If I took the advice of angry commenters. I'd already have a 6 inch nail in my forehead...
Good luck
Cagivagurl
Wow - thank you. I enjoy your writing! Great advice - and in fact I am inspired not discouraged .. I am shocked at the amount of nasty out there. It's just something I do not understand ... (unless I write it!)

Wow - thank you. I enjoy your writing! Great advice - and in fact I am inspired not discouraged .. I am shocked at the amount of nasty out there. It's just something I do not understand ... (unless I write it!)
There are some weird people out there. Some really nice ones as well.
Enjoy the nice ones, and cast aside the nastygrams.

Cagivagurl

It’s not a category I’ve broached yet BUT I’ve a story I’m slowly working on and given the theme of its overall plot I’m struggling to think of a better place to host it than anywhere other than LW (Spoiler Alert; it’s central character seduces a married woman and leads her astray across several chapters)

LW readers are surprisingly supportive of stories told from “the other man’s” point of view.

You’ll get a few nasty comments from lunatics, but if the story is hot it will probably get a good rating. 👍

As I recently said somewhere or other - Not everyone can write a story. Seriously - MOST people can not, and never will, be able to craft a bunch of words on a page - many many pages - into something coherent, something that holds the reader's attention, something that leaves them wanting more.

Some people, with persistence, may get there in the end, and others find it relatively easy. I'm sure it was Mr Horror King who said he writes 4,000 words a day, whether it's for an actual story he's going to publish, or just to keep his mind active. (Mind you, personally I find Mr King quite boring and predictable... but hey, each to our own. I'm not saying I am better than him, or I'd not be writing here, I'd be on my private jet to an island somewhere with a bunch of half naked moderately drunk sexy nerds to start a 6 month orgy.)

Where was I...

Editing someone else's work is a real skill. Above and beyond being able to write, is being able to read someone else's work, and provide actual useful feedback beyond just picking up spelling / punctuation errors. Checking out sentence / paragraph structure. The overall story - does it either follow the traditional beginning / middle / end (aka include clear turning points) or at least break those rules in a way that still works for the story? Are the characters clearly defined, and do they stay true to themselves? Are their motives relatable? Even if not relatable, are they believable? We've all got an Uncle Harry who actually does do all that crazy shit that we've just adapted into one of our characters, but does our story present the character in such a way that the reader isn't taken out of the story due to just how crazy he is?

(Here I am trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about, flinging out some gems from my university writing days, hoping I sound good, or am I just sounding like a smug git?)

(Does everyone else think of Lister when I say smug git? Or should I actually have said - Does anyone else think...)

Ok I'm done. Great work putting yourself out there! Remember you are one of the few, and by the sounds of it, you are already aware of what you need to do to improve yourself. Take the time to write some short stories exploring different themes, different styles. Push yourself to broaden your writing abilities.

The OP is brand new, so I'm pointing out he won't get abused the same way in other categories. I say this because I don't want him to be put off like so many others have from a crappy reaction to a first story.

To your example, what's more important, quality or quantity? Some prefer less comments and views, providing they're getting a better response to more of each and most of them nasty.

That varies from author to author, but being he's new he should know the landscape and be informed enough to make the choice.

I also wouldn't make a comment to anyone about chasing H's when you're obviously obsessed with votes and views.

I've posted in LW, therefore I can speak to what its like there.
ah, LW, the greasy, lerosene aroma of burning torches like a gathering of the Klan. :D

ah, LW, the greasy, lerosene aroma of burning torches like a gathering of the Klan. :D

I know Australia's history is far from innocent, with our own massacres and atrocities committed due to racial hatred... But that description just sends a horrific chill down my spine...

I know Australia's history is far from innocent, with our own massacres and atrocities committed due to racial hatred... But that description just sends a horrific chill down my spine...
It gets creepier when you see some of the comments and realize he's not being all that sarcastic.

There's a lot of that all over social media and web sites

Blessed be the internet for bringing out the best of the worst in people by allowing them to be anonymous.

if you're referring to the way the colonials treated the aborigines, i'm not sure it was racial hatred, per se. The white settlers just didn;t see the aboriginals as human. they viewed the indigenous as a sub-species. which is just more plain fuckwit ignorance than hatred.

if you're anywhere near Northcote High School, do me a favour and throw rocks at the windows. :D

It gets creepier when you see some of the comments and realize he's not being all that sarcastic.

There's a lot of that all over social media and web sites

Blessed be the internet for bringing out the best of the worst in people by allowing them to be anonymous.
those death threats were disconcerting. those people move among us, etc.

My top LW story has close to 100,000 views, 4.52 (hot) and 169 comments. I only recall 2 or 3 that were so negative I deleted them.
Half a dozen negative comments out of 100,000 viewers are such a minute percentage that it is not worth worrying about. Focus on the 99,990 or so who read it and commented positively or didn't comment at all (I assume it didn't disturb them much).

I don't know of any other category, other than incest, that will get you that kind of response. Whatever flak you took, it was well worth it in terms of growing as an author. That is FEEDBACK on your writing.

If you hang around writing groups:

"I published a new book."
"Oh, how's it doing?"
"Well, my mom and aunt bought a copy. My best friend says she'll buy one on payday."

By my calculation, you've already had 61,000 readers...! Wade on into the cesspool and embrace the fantastic feeling of being READ! 👍

Back