Publish part one or wait until all parts are done?

That's five hundred words of close introspection, but it's passive, nothing's really happening. The guy's got out of bed, obviously numbed because Melissa's gone (but it's five hundred words before we know her name), and there's coffee. But that's about it, story wise.

You've got to grab your reader's attention right from the very first sentence, but your opener is like a monologue from Marvin the Paranoid Android.

How about you turn it around, and use that last sentence as your first? You'll be into your story straight away, and I won't have to read through five hundred words of not much going on, before I get to it.
I would really agree if I was tackling a 750 word sprint. However, and for whatever reason, the story got very descriptive and the set up in part one admittedly plodding. A bit of a Loving Wive's cliche.

However, this is not very uncommon in many of the long format stories I have read here. I am a very visual writer, trying to set place and time ..

Now - saying all of this, I know this story is unruly large - but there is madness in the making. I learned a great deal and by part two, the quest for pace was discovered.

I am a fan of some of the larger works here. Of authors that take time to paint pictures for me.

If you read my expert - I created space, I hinted at addiction, betrayal, and catching someone in the act in the very setting I open with. You can do this with one sentence - but why not paint a bigger picture?

I do appreciate this and I can assure you, the next story will be tiny in comparison.

The ultimate question is should I publish or trash it ... flaws and all?

Maybe I am Marvin after all.

That's five hundred words of close introspection, but it's passive, nothing's really happening. The guy's got out of bed, obviously numbed because Melissa's gone (but it's five hundred words before we know her name), and there's coffee. But that's about it, story wise.

You've got to grab your reader's attention right from the very first sentence, but your opener is like a monologue from Marvin the Paranoid Android.

How about you turn it around, and use that last sentence as your first? You'll be into your story straight away, and I won't have to read through five hundred words of not much going on, before I get to it.
P.S. I like your suggestion to switch the last sentence to the first. Thank you!!

So - can I publish part one, and the pause while I go to work on editing the remaining chapters/parts?
This may be your first story, but it hopefully won't be your last. Some will fail, and some will succeed beyond your expectations.

IOW, do what your gut says, and see if it works. It will sometimes, it won't sometimes, but getting something out there and getting feedback on it is better than getting it perfect on your computer hard drive. Either way, you'll learn from it.

One at a time to me. You never know what comments can make you think of your story or characters differently and maybe make you change up future parts.

This may be your first story, but it hopefully won't be your last. Some will fail, and some will succeed beyond your expectations.

IOW, do what your gut says, and see if it works. It will sometimes, it won't sometimes, but getting something out there and getting feedback on it is better than getting it perfect on your computer hard drive. Either way, you'll learn from it.
Thank you!

One at a time to me. You never know what comments can make you think of your story or characters differently and maybe make you change up future parts.
thank you. - I submitted Pt One and Two. - but it's been in the pending box for over a week. Don't know if that is normal.

Back