AI Rejection

RedFireBrand

Experienced
I submitted a story like I have 68 other times with the same process. I write, toss it into Grammarly to edit for commas, remove tautologies, and other minor corrections, then i give it to my editor. He gives me his list of changes and I make the corrections. Then I submit. 68 times this hasnt been an issue. Now, suddenly, my story keeps getting rejected for AI 'rewriting' my work.

I manually disabled all AI features with Grammarly, just in case I was using something without knowing it. I went back to my rough draft and re-edited it, taking less suggestions from Grammarly, and redid my editor changes. Still got rejected.

I reached out to Laurel with admin notes and a direct message here and got nothing.

I am not using AI to write any amount of my story. I'm using spellcheck and an editor. Whatever method of detection being used is flawed. Getting a bland notice that tells me nothing of why my work got rejected does not help me. I understand the reason why a hard line needs to be taken with AI but after 8 years of uploads I think its safe to say I am not some hack with a bot.

Maybe don't use Grammerly... use the word editor like the rest of us?

AI Rejection buddies! I've had every part of my story either pulled from publishing or rejected for AI bar 1 part which is just hysterical to me.
Im tempted to post elsewhere but the choices are terrible. DeviantArt gets no views or reactions, Lush wanted too many edits and other nonsense, CHOYA looks like fun but it doesnt do a normal chapter format for my kind of writing.

I use a word editor to write, Grammerly is for commas and crap after the fact. It hasnt been a problem before.

I reached out to Laurel with admin notes and a direct message here and got nothing.
She isn't big on replying unless you pass some criteria only she is privy to. Either way, all you can do is try submitting the story again with maybe a note to the admin saying you wrote your own story.
Well, that or just take a break until this systemic problem gets figured out, although I wouldn't be holding my breath. Things do not change around here... at least not for the better. 🫤

The rejection specifically states,

"Using a grammar check program sparingly (as a spellcheck, to fix punctuation, review grammar, and/or occasionally as a thesaurus) should be fine."

Thats all I use it for!

Obviously I haven't seen these stories that have been rejected, but from the AI-generated samples that have popped up here from time to time I've seen that AI seems to hate dialogue.

There are some style characteristics too, but I'm not going to suggest that you change your style.

But if your story is short on dialogue, that might be a trigger.

I use Grammarly basic - only for spelling checks basically and I've never been rejected. It's not about Grammarly unless you accept the rewriting suggestions for your sentences.

Im tempted to post elsewhere but the choices are terrible. DeviantArt gets no views or reactions, Lush wanted too many edits and other nonsense, CHOYA looks like fun but it doesnt do a normal chapter format for my kind of writing.

I use a word editor to write, Grammerly is for commas and crap after the fact. It hasnt been a problem before.
If you are accused of using AI and you don't and Laurel won't respond to your messages on this, yes, that would be a good reason to post elsewhere. That isn't how authors should be treated on a story site.

Word does a better job than Google docs for commas. Also word has an editor function. It just does commas and stuff.

You aren't going to get the views and feedback you get here anywhere else. It's sad but it's the truth. Otherwise, I would have been out of here long ago.

I paid for the advanced features of Grammarly and it wasnt an issue for the last 68 chapters I uploaded, including one at the end of last year.

I am remarkably informal I think. Lots of dialog since its what I think I am strongest at. Most of my writing is a stream of consciousness type thing.

I paid for the advanced features of Grammarly and it wasnt an issue for the last 68 chapters I uploaded, including one at the end of last year.
Keep in mind that Grammarly, from what I've seen of it, is better suited for business writing, not fiction. So if you've bought something with advanced features (whatever they might be), that might be your problem, right there.

Your erotic "story" might read like a report or a sales proposal. It might be worth asking yourself what those " advanced features" are doing to the flow of your prose. Stultifying it, I imagine, making it ever so, ever so bland. Worth thinking about, maybe?

Edit: I just saw you response above - "informal" would be the opposite of "advanced features" I'd have thought, so my suggestion might be no help at all.

It's noteworthy though, that those writers who never use anything other than spellcheck, never report problems getting published, so it's got to be something to do with style. No clue what it is though.

Last edited:
At this point, it feels more like an attack on my writing style than a legitimate justification for rejection. I can be long-winded and overly formal, but I'm English and usually write Historical Fiction so it's just the way my writing has developed.
I have a story that's written in a deliberately Gothic style, complete with heavy imagery. 19k words, including sex scenes, that could have been penned by a Victorian hack. It went through without a hiccup.

Keep in mind that Grammarly, from what I've seen of it, is better suited for business writing, not fiction. So if you've bought something with advanced features (whatever they might be), that might be your problem, right there.

Your erotic "story" might read like a report or a sales proposal. It might be worth asking yourself what those " advanced features" are doing to the flow of your prose. Stultifying it, I imagine, making it ever so, ever so bland. Worth thinking about, maybe?

Oh dont worry, I reject far more corrections than I accept. If you want to read my stuff, my completed story is called Steampunk Harlots about an airship brothel

Uhm, here's a thought: you have paid your Erotica Writers' Guild membership dues, right?

No, that's not a real thing.

Oh dont worry, I reject far more corrections than I accept. If you want to read my stuff, my completed story is called Steampunk Harlots about an airship brothel
You wrote that one? That was fucking brilliant! Damned if I know what the AI bot is up to, rejecting that. That's just weird.

You wrote that one? That was fucking brilliant! Damned if I know what the AI bot is up to, rejecting that. That's just weird.

Im glad you liked it! I get so little feedback. It was never rejected, except one time I tried to upload the version I didnt edit at all I think or tried to link my DA, but it was fine. My next story was fine for 12 chapters, but lost steam and my current story was burning a hole in my brain so I decided to start a new one. The first chapter of this new one is where I started getting rejected.

I sympathize.

You are not meant to publish rejected text by the back door, but could you maybe post the first five paragraphs here. It might be that someone one spots something.

Emily

My DA has all my writing and the name there is Red-Fire-Brand

Last edited:
Back