The Sewing Thread

girlsmiley

catastrophe
I don’t want to spam the Blurty thread with all my sewing stuff, so I thought I’d go here.

I’ve bought myself a Singer sewing machine and a whole bunch of sewing supplies.

IMG_0118.jpeg

Today, I finished my first sewing project. Nothing fancy, just a big European pillow cover with an envelope back using faux suede

IMG_0121.jpegIMG_0122.jpegIMG_0125.jpegIMG_0127.jpeg

Well done. I used to know how to use a machine but I’ve forgotten, so when my wife needs me to make costumes for the kids (thankfully it didn’t happen this year) I have to hand sew them!

Well done. I used to know how to use a machine but I’ve forgotten, so when my wife needs me to make costumes for the kids (thankfully it didn’t happen this year) I have to hand sew them!

Haha! I’m about as skilled at hand sewing as I am with a machine I reckon. Which is not very skilled lol.

It’s been a long time for me. 20 years at least.

I knew a bit more than the other kids at high school during Home Ec, but haven’t touched a machine since.

I’m glad I’ve picked it up again.

You did a good job! I should really do this.

Thanks! I’ve done one. Now I’m going to try to replace every cushion in the house lol.

It’s actually quite ridiculous how much cushions cost in the shops down here, and half the time they aren’t even very nice to look at. Or they don’t feel nice on my skin. Bugger it I’ll make my own.

Therein lies the challenge. I have lots of ideas but making those ideas come to life is something else entirely. As I found out today. It’s quite complicated when you’re a beginner like me

Haha! I’m about as skilled at hand sewing as I am with a machine I reckon. Which is not very skilled lol.
I learned to hand sew as a kid because I had an interest in puppetry. I started building puppets again a few years ago but then I stopped again.

Today, I finished my first sewing project. Nothing fancy, just a big European pillow cover with an envelope back using faux suede...

img_0125-jpeg.2285014

How many Joey's can you fit in there? :)

Tried to do piping and the stitches…

Cut on the bias at 45 and sewed together okay. Width set to zero. Length at 4 which is the highest number on my machine. Is it tension or is the material too much for my machine? Or something else I’m doing wrong LOL 😂

IMG_0140.jpeg

IMG_0139.jpeg

Accidentally ran over the zipper and it wouldn’t close so I pulled some of the stitches out and went over it again.

IMG_0137.jpeg

i would love to learn.... but I think that I have the patience and don'r know anyone who could teach me?

i would love to learn.... but I think that I have the patience and don'r know anyone who could teach me?
YouTube. I'm absolutely serious. I personally don't watch the videos that come with the patterns because I learn better from reading, but I have watched videos about threading and the basics of any machine I have owned. Then there's Facebook. The amount of sewing groups and people willing to help.
I'm completely self taught and I make handbags that people are convinced I have bought.

Tried to do piping and the stitches…

Cut on the bias at 45 and sewed together okay. Width set to zero. Length at 4 which is the highest number on my machine. Is it tension or is the material too much for my machine? Or something else I’m doing wrong LOL 😂

View attachment 2285080

View attachment 2285082

Accidentally ran over the zipper and it wouldn’t close so I pulled some of the stitches out and went over it again.

View attachment 2285083

Your topstitch is too tight. I don't know what type of machine you have but the tension on one of the threads needs to be backed off a bit. My Singer 300 does stuff like this and it usually take a bit to get the balance right especially on heavier fabrics. Fortunately I have a White that is much more forgiving.

Great hobby! I wish i would know how to sew. I have so many clothing ideas in my head and was never able to find something like that in the shops. Maybe after finding dissertation writing services https://academized.com/dissertation-writing-service and getting that done, i will think about some sewing courses. Is that even possible to become a professional just by doing courses?

Last edited:
Your topstitch is too tight. I don't know what type of machine you have but the tension on one of the threads needs to be backed off a bit. My Singer 300 does stuff like this and it usually take a bit to get the balance right especially on heavier fabrics. Fortunately I have a White that is much more forgiving.

It could be a combination. I definitely need to get a proper piping foot. I was using a zipper foot and I don’t think the groove underneath was large enough for the job.

Thing is, it’s actually a bit of a pain to get the piping foot down here. I’ve gone onto the Singer AU website and they don’t have it. Useless. I went to Amazon, and the Singer piping foot comes in a home decor set. I think $70 which is crazy. I could buy a cheap one that might fit, but I’m not sure. And then I could order one from the states and pay the stupid shipping. I’ll get one for sure, but am undecided.

In other sewing news, I’m considering a second hand Janome Memory Craft 3500. Also undecided LOL. I’m trying to do the research but I’m not having a lot of luck. Some say it’s a good beginner machine, others say to be careful.

It’s an interesting hobby.

Ordered some piping cord and a no-name 5mm piping foot. Receive tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I’ll run a few tests and see if I can’t figure it out.

Ordered some piping cord and a no-name 5mm piping foot. Receive tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I’ll run a few tests and see if I can’t figure it out.
I'll look into what I did when I last ran piping like that. If I recall correctly I was using either Paracord or if I needed something a little stiff I used .080 smooth weed eater line and a zipper foot on marine vinyl.

I'll look into what I did when I last ran piping like that. If I recall correctly I was using either Paracord or if I needed something a little stiff I used .080 smooth weed eater line and a zipper foot on marine vinyl.

Weed eater line? That’s clever!

Weed eater line? That’s clever!
Sure it's fairly cheap, holds shape and you can get it in multiple diameters from .065 to .105 (1.65mm - 2.65mm) just make sure it is smooth and round. The most common being .065 - .095. Paracord comes in size range of 1.75mm to 31.75mm if you are using softer fabrics or want a great deal more flexibility on the piping.

When I get home I'll dig up some from my last run and post a picture of the example and the foot I used to make it.

Last edited:
Presser foot came.

The needle will only go to the center and right position, but that’s okay. The start is bit tricky because the foot isn’t laying flat. It tilts a bit. But if I start further down it’s okay.

I sewed this with the needle positioned to the right and loosened the tension like you said. Yessss. Now to attach…

IMG_0185.jpeg

IMG_0188.jpeg

You beauty!

Attached fabric with needle to the right. Could see stitch lines. Moved needle the center position and bam! Yesss

Thanks Mark!

IMG_0190.jpeg
IMG_0191.jpeg

I’m laughing my arse off.

Compare the above with my first attempt…

Looking like a dogs fucking breakfast 😂

IMG_0192.jpeg

Presser foot came.

The needle will only go to the center and right position, but that’s okay. The start is bit tricky because the foot isn’t laying flat. It tilts a bit. But if I start further down it’s okay.

I sewed this with the needle positioned to the right and loosened the tension like you said. Yessss. Now to attach…

View attachment 2289723
Great stitching. I assume you have the stitch count set at 6-8 per inch here. Either way it comes out looking really good, nice and even... What was the cord you used for the piping? It sort of looks like the stuff you would use as hoodie draw cord.

Obviously you have a way more modern machine than i do..

These are my beasts.

The White:

white.png

The Singer:

singer301a.jpg

The zipper feet I use with both machines:

zipperfeet.jpg

Back