The Sewing Thread

You beauty!

Attached fabric with needle to the right. Could see stitch lines. Moved needle the center position and bam! Yesss

Thanks Mark!

View attachment 2289726
View attachment 2289727

Not a problem. One of my former lives I did marine upholstery professionally. Seats, dash units, side panels, salon interiors, you name it. If it went in the boat interior and was upholstered in any way I did it. Obviously I used way better machines than I personally own, but the technique is the same..

Here’s me Singer.

It’s a 4411. Good for beginners like me and I bought it on sale for $350. Which is like… £175?

I like it, it’s good so far. Does all the basic stuff. Not that I know bugger all about machines, but it seems good

IMG_0217.jpeg

IMG_0218.jpegIMG_0212.jpeg

Great stitching. I assume you have the stitch count set at 6-8 per inch here. Either way it comes out looking really good, nice and even... What was the cord you used for the piping? It sort of looks like the stuff you would use as hoodie draw cord.

Obviously you have a way more modern machine than i do..

These are my beasts.

The White:

View attachment 2289848

The Singer:

View attachment 2289850

The zipper feet I use with both machines:

View attachment 2289851

The length was 4 which is the longest on my one. Set the tension to 3 (4 is recommended for most stuff) and the cord I bought was a 80m roll of macrame 4mm from Amazon for $25. I figured if the piping foot was 5mm it would fit snug with fabric. Worked well

The length was 4 which is the longest on my one. Set the tension to 3 (4 is recommended for most stuff) and the cord I bought was a 80m roll of macrame 4mm from Amazon for $25. I figured if the piping foot was 5mm it would fit snug with fabric. Worked well
Good deal.. I kinda got away from it for 3 or 4 years. I have a chair that it did many years ago that needs a refresh. May have to dig all the tools out and have a go.

I have just started learning how to use a machine and so far it's been fun with a couple of frustrating moments 😂
I think my first project will be some small curtains for my home.

I have just started learning how to use a machine and so far it's been fun with a couple of frustrating moments 😂
I think my first project will be some small curtains for my home.

I know the frustration! That’s when it’s time to step away and do other things for a bit. Like drinking for example LOL.

Good deal.. I kinda got away from it for 3 or 4 years. I have a chair that it did many years ago that needs a refresh. May have to dig all the tools out and have a go.

Yeah, go on. It’s a blimmin good hobby to have. As far as my hobbies go, this is by far the easiest on my pocket, which is kinda blowing my mind because it’s so fun. I wish I’d picked it up years ago

Presser foot came.

The needle will only go to the center and right position, but that’s okay. The start is bit tricky because the foot isn’t laying flat. It tilts a bit. But if I start further down it’s okay.

I sewed this with the needle positioned to the right and loosened the tension like you said. Yessss. Now to attach…

View attachment 2289722
One look at that and my head starts to spin...
Why the fractions, why that arrow, why the slot with the evil needle in it *shudders*
Maybe I carry on getting my cushion covers from Wayfair and watch the sewing machine from the other side of the room!

ETA
Coincidentally there is a thread with a similar name, that focuses on lesbians in the movies and media: the Sewing Circle. I'm sure there will be an overlap of interests :)

Last edited:
I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole again.

I should be sleeping, but instead I’m doing important research

I’ve discovered jelly roll rugs. Blimmin yanks have some amazingly cute shit.

Never heard of a jelly roll in my life, let alone a jelly roll rug. And they have Halloween ones, and Christmas ones and even MERMAID ones

One look at that and my head starts to spin...
Why the fractions, why that arrow, why the slot with the evil needle in it *shudders*
Maybe I carry on getting my cushion covers from Wayfair and watch the sewing machine from the other side of the room!

ETA
Coincidentally there is a thread with a similar name, that focuses on lesbians in the movies and media: the Sewing Circle. I'm sure there will be an overlap of interests :)

Just breathe LOL

I reckon you’d be a gun on a sewing machine honestly

I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole again.

I should be sleeping, but instead I’m doing important research

I’ve discovered jelly roll rugs. Blimmin yanks have some amazingly cute shit.

Never heard of a jelly roll in my life, let alone a jelly roll rug. And they have Halloween ones, and Christmas ones and even MERMAID ones

There was always one or two of these in the house when I grew up. Strangely, we have none, now. But at the cabin, there are two similar rugs, not sewn but crocheted with fabric (not yarn) and then stitched for the dogs to sleep on (when they're not on the funiture).

There was always one or two of these in the house when I grew up. Strangely, we have none, now. But at the cabin, there are two similar rugs, not sewn but crocheted with fabric (not yarn) and then stitched for the dogs to sleep on (when they're not on the funiture).
We never actually had one but I recall almost all the relatives having one. We ended up with all my Mom's SW blankets though.

A serger. Great for a lot of projects.

I’ve almost become a housewife.

I can cook, garden, and I’m learning to sew.

I told myself I’d retire by the age of 50 and fuck me I’m almost there. Retired, I mean. Not nearly 50 LOL.

It’s coming.

I’ve almost become a housewife.

I can cook, garden, and I’m learning to sew.

I told myself I’d retire by the age of 50 and fuck me I’m almost there. Retired, I mean. Not nearly 50 LOL.

It’s coming.
Kids these days.......

I would love to know how to sew even simple things. I think it would be fun.

I would love to know how to sew even simple things. I think it would be fun.

Have a go honestly it’s sew fun! 😂

There are a gazillion videos on YouTube that show you how to do all the basic stuff.

I’m glad I opted for entry level machines because I tell you what. These $5,000 machines they sell these days are just…. You basically need a PhD in sewing to appreciate how amazing they are. I’m considering doing classes for a few weeks to give myself a bit more confidence. It really is a great hobby

A serger. Great for a lot of projects.

Absolutely. For the professional look. I want to learn how to use one as soon as possible. We want our garments pressed and finished beautifully. We want the inside looking just as good as the outside.

Absolutely. For the professional look. I want to learn how to use one as soon as possible. We want our garments pressed and finished beautifully. We want the inside looking just as good as the outside.
The Mrs has one. I don't know brand names.

I happened to find this YT that explains how sewing machines were developed and work. I guess I've a brain that has to understand how stuff works to make use of it or else I get brain freeze. At the end they do a promotion for kids working toy kits by Kiwico.com. That's Xmas solved for my autistic nephew :) although... hang on... they're quite pricey :(

Sewing fabric has so much in common with wire-feed welding on metal. Both are an art that involves multivariable adjustments and continuous motion.

This past weekend I cleaned and lubricated a 1940 Singer that used to belong to my gf's grandmother. It still works perfectly, including the old multi-speed foot pedal.

Sewing fabric has so much in common with wire-feed welding on metal. Both are an art that involves multivariable adjustments and continuous motion.

This past weekend I cleaned and lubricated a 1940 Singer that used to belong to my gf's grandmother. It still works perfectly, including the old multi-speed foot pedal.
I haven’t put in enough work to compare either. I don’t weld and I barely sew so I can’t agree or disagree with you.

What I love above your idea is that we can meet in the middle. I’m a firm believer in supporting each other in developing skills

I happened to find this YT that explains how sewing machines were developed and work. I guess I've a brain that has to understand how stuff works to make use of it or else I get brain freeze. At the end they do a promotion for kids working toy kits by Kiwico.com. That's Xmas solved for my autistic nephew :) although... hang on... they're quite pricey :(

I’ll say it again.

I think you’d be a gun on a machine. I believe that with all my heart.

You pay attention to detail. You absorb all of the information and dig for knowledge. You listen to instruction. You follow to the tee.

Buy a fucking machine you cunt, and I expect you’d be a better seamstress than most. It doesn’t make me jealous, it makes me proud that I pushed you.

Back