Erotic vocabulary - how readers react to erotic words

As Rick Nelson (who went to a garden party in the company of The Stone Canyon Band) discovered, 'you can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself'.

If you want to please me, please do not use 'mammaries', 'boobies', 'butt', 'panties' (definitely no panties), or 'dick'. If you must use 'pussy', use it sparingly. And if you mean 'arse', write arse. (If you write 'ass', I will think you mean donkey.)

And, yes, by all means use 'cunt'. But use it well. If you can't use it well, then don't worry about pleasing me. Take Rick Nelson's advice and simply 'please yourself.'

Good luck.
Just another example, for our poor OP, of how the English countries differ.
Again. Pick some authors you like and adopt their vocabulary.

"'panties' (definitely no panties),"
YAY!!!!!!!

To me the word "panties" is incredibly arousing, much more so than "knickers" or "underwear". "Pussy" gets me going as well, while "cunt" is just an ugly sounding word that's a complete turnoff.

Last edited:
Please remember two things: Vagina is the tube which leads to the cervix and uterus inside the body. One can’t easily see the vagina unless the lips are spread and even then one sees just the opening. As a result, one should not say ‘she had a sexy vagina’ when looking at the naked woman from across the room.
And, as mentioned above, there are variations among countries and even within countries. Minge, pussy, foof, foo foo, private parts, lady bits and down there all are used in various areas of Great Britain though these regional variations are fading somewhat.

So if you would please give me your personal opinion on what words is more likely to be appreciated by the reader:
Let me point out that we erotica writers have the same problem as sports writers: we’re basically tasked with describing the same actions over and over and making each instance sound new and interesting. This is why you’re not likely to read:

Messi kicked the ball into the goal.

Even though he does that almost every match these days. Instead you’ll read:

The pink-shirted World Cup champion whizzed the spheroid past two outstretched boots to again strain the net.

But like sports writers, we have an innate advantage in that everyone already knows what we’re talking about. So if I write:

He sank his slippery sausage into her hot buttered bun.

Our readers know they haven’t mistakenly clicked onto a foodie Web site.

I try to use every slang, synonym, technical term, and metaphor possible, just to avoid repeating the usual four-letter words every paragraph. The thesaurus is my friend.

Okay, I’ve got my own pet peeves. I never use the word ‘cum’. It’s just too much of a neologism for me. But every other term imaginable is going in my toolkit.

As I read this thread, I see some posters rejecting words I would too and some rejecting words I use by preference. I itch to join them in posting what I won't use and what I would prefer to use, but that would, I think, just be supporting what I think is wrong about asking this question to inform one's writing. My preferences are just mine. They don't reflect some nonexistent universal reader's preferences and the lesson here, I think, is not to expect a useful answer to any form of "what do the readers want?" question. I'll refrain from feeding that fallacy by not giving my "just me" responses.

Okay, I’ve got my own pet peeves. I never use the word ‘cum’. It’s just too much of a neologism for me. But every other term imaginable is going in my toolkit.
Thanks for this! I had to look up neologism, but it hits the nail on the head.
For years I wondered how to articulate my dislike of "cum." (At least one person didn't know it even had a relationship to "come.") Finally, here on the forum, someone mentioned "juvenile." That was good. Probably more generally useful than neologism. But I really like neologism!!

As I read this thread, I see some posters rejecting words I would too and some rejecting words I use by preference. I itch to join them in posting what I won't use and what I would prefer to use, but that would, I think, just be supporting what I think is wrong about asking this question to inform one's writing. My preferences are just mine. They don't reflect some nonexistent universal reader's preferences and the lesson here, I think, is not to expect a useful answer to any form of "what do the readers want?" question. I'll refrain from feeding that fallacy by not giving my "just me" responses.
But it is fun, isn't it, to find that there are like minded people in the world. And even more fun when they can articulate your prejudices better than you can yourself.

The come/cum usage is evolving. I think eventually the two will be separated so that "cum" is the acceptable term for sexual orgasm to separate it completely from the other usages of "come." That's fine with me. Any time usage can more explicitly define and distinguish a term is fine with me.

The come/cum usage is evolving. I think eventually the two will be separated so that "cum" is the acceptable term for sexual orgasm to separate it completely from the other usages of "come." That's fine with me. Any time usage can more explicitly define and distinguish a term is fine with me.
Language is alive and fluid. Victorians talked about a woman's 'limb' because the considered 'leg' to be too suggestive for polite conversation.

On the other hand, I just learned that 'Master Bedroom' is no longer acceptable real estate terminology. One should say 'Primary Bedroom'.

I want to laugh at both euphemisms, but words matter.

On the other hand, I just learned that 'Master Bedroom' is no longer acceptable real estate terminology. One should say 'Primary Bedroom'.
I'd never given that one a thought, but it does make sense. Sex stories may legitimately be the last venue in which "master bedroom" is given up (or doesn't apply), though.

I’m with you on my dislike of the word “pussy.” I’d rather use/hear/read cunt than pussy. Dislike boobs, tits, boobies. I prefer breasts and nipples. As for bottoms, I have to settle for cheeks or butt. Don’t like any of them. The word I most despise is “panties”! And there is no alternative unless I use “thong.” So all of my characters have to wear thongs because it’s a word I can tolerate!
I really hate boobs and boobies (it's what six year olds call them when thinking they're being ever so daring!)

Get your tits out! is crude, what a wolf-whistling builder might shout, or your eager boyfriend. Breasts is a decent general term.

Bottom and arse are good for me (I'm English), but 'panties' is one of the most repulsive words in the English language.

So my characters wear briefs, boy-shorts, boxers, jersey shorts, small items of lacy fabric, etc, though the default English pants sometimes gets used when it's clear they've already taken their trousers off. Some characters go commando or naked under whatever, partly to solve the problem!

I suppose I could use thongs, too, but I'm not a huge fan and don't want to confuse the Australians - a thong on someone's arse might be assumed to be a flip-flop landing on someone's backside, which would be a different type of story!

Language is alive and fluid. Victorians talked about a woman's 'limb' because the considered 'leg' to be too suggestive for polite conversation.

I want to laugh at both euphemisms, but words matter.
I've always liked the notion of a 'Mistress Bedroom.'

I really hate boobs and boobies (it's what six year olds call them when thinking they're being ever so daring!)

Get your tits out! is crude, what a wolf-whistling builder might shout, or your eager boyfriend. Breasts is a decent general term.

Bottom and arse are good for me (I'm English), but 'panties' is one of the most repulsive words in the English language.

So my characters wear briefs, boy-shorts, boxers, jersey shorts, small items of lacy fabric, etc, though the default English pants sometimes gets used when it's clear they've already taken their trousers off. Some characters go commando or naked under whatever, partly to solve the problem!

I suppose I could use thongs, too, but I'm not a huge fan and don't want to confuse the Australians - a thong on someone's arse might be assumed to be a flip-flop landing on someone's backside, which would be a different type of story!
That’s what we used to call our rubber summer sandals, too! Thongs, not flip-flops!

To add another level of concern. The erotic terms used by a character depends on the persona of the character. A lower class, uneducated character uses crude terms, a higher class, educated person uses more refined terms. Of course, a character tends to use cruder terms in the process of sexual intercourse.
In a scene set in South Central L.A., the use of motherfucker is a must.

Thank you all for your input - I didn't imagine I would get so many responses. it helps.
Maybe I should just go ahead and post one of my 'completed' stories and see how readers (and you authors) react to it.

Thank you all for your input - I didn't imagine I would get so many responses. it helps.
Maybe I should just go ahead and post one of my 'completed' stories and see how readers (and you authors) react to it.
Yes, please do!

The use of Motherfucker is mandatory in almost every sentence, erotic or otherwise, in South Central LA.
To add another level of concern. The erotic terms used by a character depends on the persona of the character. A lower class, uneducated character uses crude terms, a higher class, educated person uses more refined terms. Of course, a character tends to use cruder terms in the process of sexual intercourse.
In a scene set in South Central L.A., the use of motherfucker is a must.

What about "come?" Only the spelling is neologistic.
Correct. I should have been clearer. I use 'come' a lot. Checking statistics on my latest series, I use that word about as much as I use 'cock', 'suck', and 'mouth'. Hmm. I think I see a pattern.

Please remember two things: Vagina is the tube which leads to the cervix and uterus inside the body. One can’t easily see the vagina unless the lips are spread and even then one sees just the opening. As a result, one should not say ‘she had a sexy vagina’ when looking at the naked woman from across the room.

And I'm sure you've never referred to the fleshy sack under a man's penis as his "testicles" because the proper word is "scrotum", the testicles actually being inside the scrotum, right? ;)

That’s what we used to call our rubber summer sandals, too! Thongs, not flip-flops!

When I was a kid here in Canada rubber sandals were thongs but when traveling to the US I heard flip-flops for the first time.

Then working in retail I learned that a thong sandal is one that has a strip between the toes (just like thong underwear is a strip between the cheeks) whereas a sandal that just goes over the top of the foot is a slide (you just slide your foot into).

And let’s not forget the seemingly forgotten word, “quim” for vagina.

And let’s not forget the seemingly forgotten word, “quim” for vagina.
I've always thought a quim sounded like something you'd find in the exotic fruits section of the supermarket. Green, or perhaps a light orange. Probably with spiky protrusions, or hard ridges.

Back