Is there a generic way to describe popular erotic book covers?

AG31

Literotica Guru
I find them mind-numbinly similar. Anonymous "beautiful" women, unclothed male torsos. (I guess I'm not the only one into impersonality.) I subscribe to some free erotic sites and get e-mails each day. I don't think I've ever found something I wanted to look into... Probably have. Just don't remember. I did a search here for "cover," and there are not money, but the posts I found where people displayed their covers (or wished for covers) were way more imaginative. That's what I had expected. Anyway, ever questing for the right words to describe something, what do you think is going on one erotic e-book covers?

I did get this bit of advice for my Smashword stories. "...you really need to come up with a cover that somewhat pops," Maybe "popping"

My covers are all dark maroon with only the title and author. It's exactly the kind of cover that I would open up, no matter what the title. So I'm content with it, since I'm looking for like-minded people.

Again. How would you describe what's going on?

Aside. Perhaps it's related to the equally mind-numbing practice of putting together stock photographs to show the silhouette of someone in front of a mountain view or haunted house or.... that has taken over the regular fiction market.

The availability of free and low cost images with non-commercial licenses is far greater, which contributes to the generic nature of the average erotica cover in the marketplace.

Not trying to be argumentative or mock in any way, but at whom are you aiming these covers? Putting it another way, what purpose do you see them achieving?

I accept that you prefer your format, but I might hazard a guess that the reason there are so many 'predictable' covers is that somebody (more likely multiple somebodies) in the business thinks they will attract more attention.

You may attract like-minded people and that's great, but how big a tranche is that of potential readers/buyers? It's your call, of course and good luck in any case.

I know exactly what you mean. Bodice ripper is the first thing that pops into my head.

It's a great way to show exactly what kind of story it is at a glance without thy need for tags or a blurb, but it would be great if they'd zoom in just a little bit more to show whatever emotions on the faces of the characters that suits the themes.

Back