Erotic vocabulary - how readers react to erotic words

Morevinila

Virgin
Hi Everybody.
I'm new to writing and not a native English speaker. I have not posted anything yet because I'm still working on them but I already have a few that are completed or nearly so and a few other ideas. Of course, when it comes to erotic parts, I used words that I see other authors using to describe body parts.
I have been told that readers react differently according to what word is used to describe a particular body part. One concrete example is that people will vote down if the word "cunt" is used as opposed to "pussy".
Being myself not a native English speaker, I don't have any idea as to what words are better when referring to body parts associated with sex and, like any writer, I would like to have my stories read and appreciated for what they are and not be underrated just because of a bias on certain particular words.
So if you would please give me your personal opinion on what words is more likely to be appreciated by the reader:
boobs / tits/ mammaries (or any other)
pussy / cunt /vagina (or any other)
ass /butt /bottom (or any other)

and of course any other words that may occur in an erotic story.
Thanking you all in anticipation.

I have been told that readers react differently according to what word is used to describe a particular body part. One concrete example is that people will vote down if the word "cunt" is used as opposed to "pussy".
You've been told wrong. Yes, readers react differently--each and every reader has uniquely different likes and dislikes. So, you can't make a generalization that readers will vote anything down in consort--certainly not the use of a word such as "cunt."

Write what turns you on and then put your stuff out there and let readers with common ground to you find you.

First of all, while I understand your concern, may I say that your written English seems very good, better than that of too many half-educated high school graduates in North America.

One of the hardest things in gaining fluency in any new language is supposed to be slang, usage and idiom, which is your problem, essentially. I'm afraid there's no good, simple, universal answer. Much depends on the situation, the author, social status, who is talking, etc. Moreover, different regions use different terms. British usage differs from North American usage, and Australia takes its own path entirely. The word 'cunt' in N. America is generally rather rude, but seems to be easier to take in Britain and, so far as I can tell, is far more common in Australia. (Others are free to correct me, of course.)

The word 'fanny' in N. America is a fairly polite term for buttocks, so much so that parents might use it talking to their small children. In the UK, it generally refers to female genitalia.

Of the list you gave, I would suggest 'boobs' is (in my area) considered less offensive than 'tits' and 'mammaries' is something for textbooks. 'Pussy' is in use here more openly than 'cunt' and while 'vagina' is used, it is, how to put it, somewhat prissy. "Ass' is a bit rough, but a man might tell his lady "You've got such a great ass!" and make her smile. 'Bottom' and 'bum' are polite enough, but perhaps a shade too much so. 'Butt' falls somewhere in the middle. All this is just my opinion and others may disagree (and some have - check out a recent thread discussing the word 'cunt'.)

I see what I'm probably not being that helpful, but subtleties are always difficult. The best suggestion I could give you is to find authors here you think are good, perhaps ones with a fairly decent score (just one indicator) and see what words are used in those.

Good luck.

As Keith said, write what sounds erotic to you. Also, characters have voices. If your POV character is older and more dignified, 'bottom' might be better than 'ass.' If they are aggressive, 'cunt' might fit.

Another rule of thumb is to be more specific: don't just say 'pussy' but specifically describe what part, be that labia or clitoris or whatever. This adds depth and stops overuse of words.

You can also be the opposite of specific, and describe acts or parts of the body in relation to others. This also reduces overuse of words. Something like:
His mouth traverses the crest of each breast, and everywhere in between.
Once we've been physically grounded in one body part, the reader will know what "in between" means. Implications work well in passing like this. A common one is "between her thighs."

In any case, write what sounds erotic to you. If you inject enthusiasm into your writing process, readers will match your energy.

First of all, while I understand your concern, may I say that your written English seems very good, better than that of too many half-educated high school graduates in North America.

One of the hardest things in gaining fluency in any new language is supposed to be slang, usage and idiom, which is your problem, essentially. I'm afraid there's no good, simple, universal answer. Much depends on the situation, the author, social status, who is talking, etc. Moreover, different regions use different terms. British usage differs from North American usage, and Australia takes its own path entirely. The word 'cunt' in N. America is generally rather rude, but seems to be easier to take in Britain and, so far as I can tell, is far more common in Australia. (Others are free to correct me, of course.)

The word 'fanny' in N. America is a fairly polite term for buttocks, so much so that parents might use it talking to their small children. In the UK, it generally refers to female genitalia.

Of the list you gave, I would suggest 'boobs' is (in my area) considered less offensive than 'tits' and 'mammaries' is something for textbooks. 'Pussy' is in use here more openly than 'cunt' and while 'vagina' is used, it is, how to put it, somewhat prissy. "Ass' is a bit rough, but a man might tell his lady "You've got such a great ass!" and make her smile. 'Bottom' and 'bum' are polite enough, but perhaps a shade too much so. 'Butt' falls somewhere in the middle. All this is just my opinion and others may disagree (and some have - check out a recent thread discussing the word 'cunt'.)

I see what I'm probably not being that helpful, but subtleties are always difficult. The best suggestion I could give you is to find authors here you think are good, perhaps ones with a fairly decent score (just one indicator) and see what words are used in those.

Good luck.
Thank you for this lengthy reply - I appreciate you taking the time to dot the i's and cross the t's. You're right, my problem is slang, usage ans idiom and I sometimes unconsciously translate literally from my mother tongue - It sometimes takes several re-readings before I spot those.
I think one of the problems I will have in my stories is my inability to give to my characters their personal way of speaking. Luckily they don't speak much.

As Keith said, write what sounds erotic to you. Also, characters have voices. If your POV character is older and more dignified, 'bottom' might be better than 'ass.' If they are aggressive, 'cunt' might fit.

Another rule of thumb is to be more specific: don't just say 'pussy' but specifically describe what part, be that labia or clitoris or whatever. This adds depth and stops overuse of words.

You can also be the opposite of specific, and describe acts or parts of the body in relation to others. This also reduces overuse of words. Something like:

Once we've been physically grounded in one body part, the reader will know what "in between" means. Implications work well in passing like this. A common one is "between her thighs."

In any case, write what sounds erotic to you. If you inject enthusiasm into your writing process, readers will match your energy.
Thank you.

Thank you for this lengthy reply - I appreciate you taking the time to dot the i's and cross the t's. You're right, my problem is slang, usage ans idiom and I sometimes unconsciously translate literally from my mother tongue - It sometimes takes several re-readings before I spot those.
I think one of the problems I will have in my stories is my inability to give to my characters their personal way of speaking. Luckily they don't speak much.
You yourself have a personal way of speaking. Every human does. Your own personality will translate into your dialogue and make it unique. It might not be perfect, but it might be better than you think. Happy writing! :p

Moreover, different regions use different terms. British usage differs from North American usage, and Australia takes its own path entirely. The word 'cunt' in N. America is generally rather rude, but seems to be easier to take in Britain and, so far as I can tell, is far more common in Australia. (Others are free to correct me, of course.)

This is one of the biggest traps for English as a second language writers, the fact that the English as first language nations are so different.

Here in Australia, for example, "He's a bit of a silly cunt," is a term of affection between males, and causes little offence (except from those who choose to be offended, but that's their problem, not mine as a writer). Women have cunts, and the best women know that word's power over men, and use it. My daughter and her friends will happily talk about their vajayjay, but rarely in a sexual sense.

I tend to use ass over arse as a body descriptor, but "Couldn't be arsed" as an attitude is fine. "Butt" makes me cringe, I'd never use it; similarly, a "dick" is what small boys have, never men.

One of my favourites, a long time ago, was her "map of Tasmania", but with landing strips or bare pubises, that poor island is getting smaller every day.

There's no simple advice, other than: establish your own favourite set of words and use them. Some jerk will always have a moan, but you wouldn't be writing for them anyway, so who cares what they think?

boobs / tits/ mammaries (or any other)
pussy / cunt /vagina (or any other)
ass /butt /bottom (or any other)
You should probably ignore my feedback, as I'm not typical, but I can't stand the word "pussy." It's infantilizing. I wish "cunt" were accepted here in the states like it is in Australia. I don't know about other English speaking countries. I invite you to try to normalize it!

I prefer breasts. In some contexts, old fashioned setting, bosom works.

I usually choose buttocks.

See? Don't listen to me!!!! I'm in such a tiny minority!

You yourself have a personal way of speaking. Every human does. Your own personality will translate into your dialogue and make it unique. It might not be perfect, but it might be better than you think. Happy writing! :p
Yes, I think non-native English speakers should just let the reader know that up front and then relax and use their charming natural way of speaking English.

This is one of the biggest traps for English as a second language writers, the fact that the English as first language nations are so different.

Here in Australia, for example, "He's a bit of a silly cunt," is a term of affection between males, and causes little offence (except from those who choose to be offended, but that's their problem, not mine as a writer).

It can even be an endearment: "he's a good cunt". But not one you'd use in a formal, staid setting.

You should probably ignore my feedback, as I'm not typical, but I can't stand the word "pussy." It's infantilizing. I wish "cunt" were accepted here in the states like it is in Australia. I don't know about other English speaking countries. I invite you to try to normalize it!

I’m with you on my dislike of the word “pussy.” I’d rather use/hear/read cunt than pussy. Dislike boobs, tits, boobies. I prefer breasts and nipples. As for bottoms, I have to settle for cheeks or butt. Don’t like any of them. The word I most despise is “panties”! And there is no alternative unless I use “thong.” So all of my characters have to wear thongs because it’s a word I can tolerate!

I'm generally unfussy about word choices, but I'll say this: it depends a lot on the tone of your story, and of the types of characters you are writing about.

I use and enjoy both "cunt" and "pussy," but in my experience many American women dislike the word "cunt" so much that I'm cautious how I use it. Cunt has a raunchier feel, while Pussy has a lighter, almost cute feel. I generally use "pussy" and cannot recall getting any complaints about it.

I've been trained not to use "cunt" because my partner doesn't like it. I come from a very sweary family (well, the male side of it anyway). Famously, the French equivalent "con" is a milder profanity there. They also use "chat" (i.e. "pussy").

Why don't you choose your 4 or 5 favorite English speaking erotic authors. Hopefully they're all from the same country. Identify the vocabulary they use in common and adopt it as your own.

Why don't you choose your 4 or 5 favorite English speaking erotic authors. Hopefully they're all from the same country. Identify the vocabulary they use in common and adopt it as your own.
IMO this is always the best advice. Don't solicit a bunch of abstract opinions from people who don't know what you like. Figure out what you like, and read it carefully, and see what feels right to you.

Where I'm from (Scotland), cunt is often used as a general slang term in place of the word 'person', on top of the more common meaning referring to a body part. Whereas pussy almost always means coward or similar, rarely used to refer to a vagina.

"Who's that cunt?" and similar variations are not always even intended as insulting, though it can be depending on the context. As opposed to 'fanny', used either as an immature reference to a vagina, or somewhere between an insult or term of endearment in place of terms like moron or idiot.

In a sexual context, tits, arse, cunt, and cock would be most common though, other terms are rarely used aside from the more infantile fanny/willy. Generally I'd substitute breasts in place of tits unless it's a part of dialogue rather than narration.

As Rick Nelson (who went to a garden party in the company of The Stone Canyon Band) discovered, 'you can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself'.

If you want to please me, please do not use 'mammaries', 'boobies', 'butt', 'panties' (definitely no panties), or 'dick'. If you must use 'pussy', use it sparingly. And if you mean 'arse', write arse. (If you write 'ass', I will think you mean donkey.)

And, yes, by all means use 'cunt'. But use it well. If you can't use it well, then don't worry about pleasing me. Take Rick Nelson's advice and simply 'please yourself.'

Good luck.

Back