What do readers in each category like and dislike?

In Romance, if you imply there may be infidelity coming, it doesn't go down well.

Is there a list anywhere that shows what readers in each category generally prefer to read? I think that would help authors in choosing the right category. I’ve read that the “Romance” readers seem to like their sex less graphic than in other categories while “Erotic Couplings” may sound like a similar category as “Romance” but those readers prefer much more in the way of sex scenes.

Any published list? Or do we start one here?
I haven't read the whole thread yet. So Romance readers don't like a break-up story or even a scene. Of course, that is what happens to most relationships nowadays. They tell me to put it in Non-erotic. The one time I did that, it didn't do well there either.

Romance readers like Happily Ever After stories and the only deaths acceptable are years later when the protagonists have lived long, happy lives filled with kids and grandkids. This is, of course, an exaggeration, but only a small one.

It’s not too hard to write stories that will get downvoted because they don’t fit perfectly into any category. I wrote a combination IT/group sex series that didn’t do badly when I posted chapters in each, but comments indicated there were readers who objected. Also I feel my Mind Control story would have done better if it focused on the one doing the controlling rather than those being controlled. Some readers are just looking for their predictable thing.

From my experience of recent IT stories I have submitted as part of contests, I would have to say new things for Incest/Taboo, stories with plots and themes that deviate from the normal works that are posted on the site.

For example, in the Crime and Punishment contest last year I submitted a story called 'Perving On My Virgin Cousins' and the narrator is an 18-year-old guy named Trent who cannot keep out of trouble at home, at school or in the community. When he finally goes one step too far and gets arrested, his parents kick him out of their home in Canberra and send him to Adelaide to live with relatives. The family in Adelaide are his maternal aunt, uncle and his cousins, pretty 18-year-old twin girls Belinda and Cassie. This family in South Australia are devout evangelical and fundamentalist Christians, and while Trent does mend his ways he cannot resist perving on his cousins. But in this case, the biggest turn-on for Trent is that the two girls are virgins, and that despite having serious boyfriends they are firmly committed to their abstinence pledges and wear promise rings. Trent doesn't want to have sex with his cousins because their virginity is what turns him on (and it was never going to happen anyway given their religious beliefs), and instead he gets his rocks off by perving on the two girls by up-skirting them, going through their underwear drawers and dirty clothes hampers to get to their bras and panties, spying on them when they are naked or partially dressed and engaging in other voyeurism when the girls are bathing/showering, on the toilet or having their periods.

The second was in the recent April Fools Day story contest, 'The Tale of the Too Close Twins', and this story takes us to Sydney and back to the early 1990s. In this story, the narrator is a young man named Andrew who is friends with brother/sister twins Shane and Karen. Things seem fine at first, but then Andrew starts noticing odd things between the twins and their strange dynamic as brother and sister. He isn't sure if he is imagining things that aren't there, nobody else seems to notice anything and Andrew can't say anything as he has no evidence and can never take back such a serious allegation if he did speak up. Still, the number of things that appear amiss with the twins keep mounting up, until one night when Andrew is in the wrong place at the wrong time and sees just how close his friends really are. One of the motivations for writing the story is that we've all met people with family members whose dynamics seem a bit off; the brother and sister who come across as more like a boyfriend and girlfriend, the guy so close to his mother that being a Mama's boy might be the least of his worries, and the woman whose relationship with her father add a whole new level to the term Daddy's girl, but of course we cannot say anything to anyone and have no evidence. And stories narrated in first person by a character not involved in the sexual activity are rare, I thought I might try my hand at it.

Both stories were poorly received, especially the April Fools one even though by nature alone the stories one finds there are going to be a bit different from normal, and mine had a twist at the end that flipped it on its head. Such themes where a guy is turned on by his cousins mostly because they are virgins and where a non-involved third party sees incestuous activity between his friends are very rare, but these different story-lines didn't seem to be appreciated.

Back