LeBron James opts out of final yr on hs contract, $21.5 million per yr, not enough

I read that James will probably sign 1 year contracts from here on out & take advantage of the rising salary cap & the NBA's new TV contract worth billions over the next (I forgot how many years). Basically, he'd going to get paid as much as he can each year he plays now and probably stay in Cleveland.

I read that James will probably sign 1 year contracts from here on out & take advantage of the rising salary cap & the NBA's new TV contract worth billions over the next (I forgot how many years). Basically, he'd going to get paid as much as he can each year he plays now and probably stay in Cleveland.

now he will have plenty of time to make speeches

about

INCOME INEQUALITY!

He probably will sign a one year deal with Cleveland, if Love stays, but not to make as much money in salary as he can. It will be to give him and the team flexibility. Salary is not that big a deal to him at this point in his career, as much money as he has and will continue to have coming in from all sources.

The interesting thing to me is whether Love will also sign a one year deal or if he will decide to go long term and take what will probably be about 110 million from Cleveland for five years. I can see him doing that now.

https://twitter.com/JensenClan88/status/615330787366297600/photo/1

CIoYFzlUAAAKbJE.jpg

The huddle rumor was true. It's a done deal.

Lebron plays for rings, not money. He doesn't need any money from the NBA.

Yeah, right. (Note sarcasm.) That's why he left Miami (with better weather & where he'd won rings) for Cleveland (where he'd played & earned no rings, continues to do both thus far, & the weather sucks, but they'd pay him like he was literally the King of the city).

Yeah, right. (Note sarcasm.) That's why he left Miami (with better weather & where he'd won rings) for Cleveland (where he'd played & earned no rings, continues to do both thus far, & the weather sucks, but they'd pay him like he was literally the King of the city).

Cleveland pays him less than Miami offered. Just sayin.

Cleveland pays him less than Miami offered. Just sayin.

You mean the team, while I mean the city. Playing in Cleveland means all home games & many off days are spent here, where companies pay him millions potentially for any type of endorsement, or to even just visit... He'd stick out like a sore thumb; Miami is Florida, so enough sun means anyone can look like that. (Reminder to self: Watch "Burn Notice" on TV in few minutes.)

Fair point. I did mistake your meaning.

I do doubt that his decision has much to do with money, though. His endorsements are the bulk of his income...and he had those in Miami as well (where it's important to note that there's no state income tax).

I think he's doing it for legacy, personally...at least more than everything else. Rings are a part of that...but the whole "home" and "underdog" concepts play a part as well.

Remind me who he would have played with in Miami this past season.

He did make the Finals with Cleveland.

I think he's doing it for legacy, personally...at least more than everything else. Rings are a part of that...but the whole "home" and "underdog" concepts play a part as well.

I didn't watch much of season or playoffs, but I believe most playoff series-es are played about-equally in each of the 2 cities. Also, we're talking about a decent "name" player, so he'd probably get decent-sized reactions anywhere.

As for the whole idea of legacy &/or rings, Lebron wins no matter the outcome: He gets to be the reason Cleveland makes it to Finals, or he plays with a group of stars as he did before, actually wins the ring, & has it (on finger & in record books) whether he retires tomorrow or in a decade.

I meant the legacy in returning to the place he grew up...and possibly bringing a championship to a city/state much maligned for its professional sports history -- 2 considerations that lie solely in Cleveland.

Lebron was the most hated athlete in sports (rough science...a poll done by ESPN during his third year in Miami), seemingly because he turned his back on his home and that challenge to have an easy road to the ring on dwyane wade's resume. His return to Cleveland reversed that feeling in some measure.

If he gets a ring in Cleveland, his legacy will benefit much more than it ever would have from another in Miami with Riley, Wade & partners.

I meant the legacy in returning to the place he grew up...and possibly bringing a championship to a city/state much maligned for its professional sports history -- 2 considerations that lie solely in Cleveland.

Lebron was the most hated athlete in sports (rough science...a poll done by ESPN during his third year in Miami), seemingly because he turned his back on his home and that challenge to have an easy road to the ring on dwyane wade's resume. His return to Cleveland reversed that feeling in some measure.

If he gets a ring in Cleveland, his legacy will benefit much more than it ever would have from another in Miami with Riley, Wade & partners.

Being that I've done all my "growing up" in a sub-sub-sub...urb of Cleveland, I can tell you his legacy will benefit more doing it here than it would in the Miami situation. However, I can also tell you that's b/c the team has a lot less talent than he had working with him in Miami, & has little if anything to do with it being anywhere near (not in) his hometown, nor Cleveland's sports history.

Also:

1] His return to Cleveland may seem to have reversed the feeling to cities not in Ohio, but living in Ohio, some of us hated him more between his return announcement & the playoffs than we did while he was gone. (The feeling may have increased additionally when he failed to bring us any different ending than we'd gotten without him, meaning of course the ring & Title, which he had done in Miami.)

2] The maligned pro sports history doesn't lie solely in Cleveland. Doubt me? Ask Los Angeles' NFL coach, if they ever get another... The same goes for many other long-Title-less cities.

he is greedy, plain and simple

I didnt say its good or bad

he is merely a greedy bastard

You didn't answer the question, and you did say it was bad. Greedy carries with it a negative connotation. I've never seen you call a CEO or someone who started their own business greedy.

You didn't answer the question, and you did say it was bad. Greedy carries with it a negative connotation. I've never seen you call a CEO or someone who started their own business greedy.

greed ISNT a negative connotation to me

and someone starting his own business isnt greedy

James is a GREEDY SOB

You are a stupid SOB.

Lebron works to earn some of his pay, but not as much as he gets.
Still does more than you.

Anyone's labor is only worth what someone would pay for it. In Lebron's case all 30 NBA teams would pay him the maximum salary available. How is he not worth what he gets?

James is a GREEDY SOB

You're using it with a negative connotation, so yes it does.

Is Lebron only greedy for wanting more money to play basketball? is he also greedy when he has someone negotiate an endorsement deal for him?

Anyone's labor is only worth what someone would pay for it. In Lebron's case all 30 NBA teams would pay him the maximum salary available. How is he not worth what he gets?

yes, true

but he is still a greedy bastard

whats teh difference between 65 and 66.5 million? its the optics that are bad.....same as when he went to Miami and changed his signiture style to make more $

You're using it with a negative connotation, so yes it does.

Is Lebron only greedy for wanting more money to play basketball? is he also greedy when he has someone negotiate an endorsement deal for him?

to opt out

to get 1.5 million more

is greedy

yes, true

but he is still a greedy bastard

whats teh difference between 65 and 66.5 million? its the optics that are bad.....same as when he went to Miami and changed his signiture style to make more $

If there's no difference, what's the big deal?

James is a GREEDY SOB

It was not said it is a negative connotation, but that it has one. You don't get to decide that, nor do I.

Lebron gets paid what the team he plays for pays for his labor. That means his work is worth that amount... To the people offering/paying it. Not necessarily to me, you, or any viewer with eyes & a brain.

Back