The Official Weather Thread

I saw this on Facebook today not long after one of my friends reported that her son (who's living with his dad in NE Montana) asked if he could come home until spring. She laughed at him (he had a big dramatic departure in September) and told him his bedroom didn't exist any more. It's an awesome sewing room now. <covet> Anyway, we're having a week of mid-60s to mid-70s here. :D Meanwhile:

CanShit_zps713bb1ee.jpg

Schools won't be open around here tomorrow as the temp tomorrow will be a high of 0F, with wind chills close to -30F.

Schools won't be open around here tomorrow as the temp tomorrow will be a high of 0F, with wind chills close to -30F.

My daughter is reallllly happy to be here instead of Chicago, right now. She got an email from her rental agency asking permission to go into her (tiny little room) apartment to be sure the heat was set to at least 60 to avoid Bad Things That Happen In The Cold.

It's goddamn 27 degrees here. I hate everything.

Oh, hey, and the high tomorrow is supposed to be 34. And the low is supposed to be 12. Twelve. I DIDN'T KNOW IT *GOT* THAT COLD HERE!

Last edited:
I saw this on Facebook today not long after one of my friends reported that her son (who's living with his dad in NE Montana) asked if he could come home until spring. She laughed at him (he had a big dramatic departure in September) and told him his bedroom didn't exist any more. It's an awesome sewing room now. <covet> Anyway, we're having a week of mid-60s to mid-70s here. :D Meanwhile:

CanShit_zps713bb1ee.jpg

Canada uses centigrade, not Fahrenheit, right? So the temperatures aren't that dramatic. :)

The weather around here has been great: -5-10C degrees and mostly sunny. Today it looks more cloudy with the possibility of light snowing, but snow is cool too, so I don't mind. :)

Canada uses centigrade, not Fahrenheit, right? So the temperatures aren't that dramatic. :)

The weather around here has been great: -5-10C degrees and mostly sunny. Today it looks more cloudy with the possibility of light snowing, but snow is cool too, so I don't mind. :)

That's correct: Canada, like most of the civilized world, uses the Centigrade scale.

I know that Palau uses Fahrenheits, but other than that and the States, I have no idea. Are there more?

According to Wikipedia:
Fahrenheit remains the official scale for the following countries and territories: the Bahamas,[2] Belize,[3] the Cayman Islands,[4] Palau,[citation needed] and the United States and its associated territories of American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands (except Puerto Rico and Guam, with the former predominantely using Celsius and the latter equally using Celsius and Fahrenheit). Canada retains it as a supplementary scale that can be used alongside Celsius​

It's snowing again. We just got some 15 inches or so cleared away yesterday and now it's back again.

*Sigh*

They're calling for four inches of snow here.

Four. Inches.

(Yes, I realize it's not THAT much snow in the grand scheme of things, but it is NOT supposed to do that here, I don't care what anyone says.)

*Sigh*

They're calling for four inches of snow here.

Four. Inches.

(Yes, I realize it's not THAT much snow in the grand scheme of things, but it is NOT supposed to do that here, I don't care what anyone says.)

I'm quoting this so that some day, even if it's in the far distant future, I'll be able to say that once you expressed out loud and in public the view that four inches is a big deal. :D

I'm quoting this so that some day, even if it's in the far distant future, I'll be able to say that once you expressed out loud and in public the view that four inches is a big deal. :D

...Dammit.

Foiled again. :p

This holding back till Feb. thing is horseshit, winter. I thought I was getting out of this one unscathed. No "walk outside and feel your nose freeze inside." No ass clenching motherfucking haven't even seen a crow outside all week living on the Taiga crap. Good fucking gravy. My Christmas present was lurking till Valentine's huh?

Plus side: there's not that much snow. And I saw one completely batshit denizen in shorts in the grocery store tonight. Gotta love crazy.

Minus side: the entire lawn is an ice rink. I feel like an emperor penguin.

I'll still take this over August in Florida, though. What I'd really like is Florida, like....now.

Last edited:
This holding back till Feb. thing is horseshit, winter. I thought I was getting out of this one unscathed. No "walk outside and feel your nose freeze inside." No ass clenching motherfucking haven't even seen a crow outside all week living on the Taiga crap. Good fucking gravy. My Christmas present was lurking till Valentine's huh?

Plus side: there's not that much snow. And I saw one completely batshit denizen in shorts in the grocery store tonight. Gotta love crazy.

Minus side: the entire lawn is an ice rink. I feel like an emperor penguin.

I'll still take this over August in Florida, though. What I'd really like is Florida, like....now.
Winter almost always pull that trick here.
You get through the dark, cold and wet october, november and december somehow. Then when you think you see light in the tunnel, it turns out to be a river of dirty snow slush, sometimes freezing to make driving a drag.

I can't believe how incredibly cold it was here this past week. I noticed it mostly when I went outside to power wash the lanai in my short sleeved shirt and flip flops. It went down to nearly 42 degrees! Brr!

Donned my tar coated boots and down coat (which I haven't used in years). I really feel horrible for my brother and sister who still live in the NY/NJ area... as I lick on my Italian ice.

It's still a brisk 69 degrees here. *shivers*

We have about 3 feet of snow still on the ground. Last Sunday it did get into the high 30's and the sun was shining warm enough to make shoveling the rest of the stubborn ice off the driveway fun. I even stripped down to bra and panties and snow boots and ran around playing in the snow in my backyard.

Two days later it was -18F.

I was told you folks have 5 to 8 feet up there in Massatuschets?? (from a highly unreliable source)

The 5 feet is on some curbs in some places where we have no other place to put the snow from the sidewalks and the street.

Boston has had more than 100 inches (more than 8 feet) of snow fall this winter. Some has melted, but not enough.

The 5 feet is on some curbs in some places where we have no other place to put the snow from the sidewalks and the street.

Boston has had more than 100 inches (more than 8 feet) of snow fall this winter. Some has melted, but not enough.

To put Boston's winter into perspective, during the month of February alone, Boston has gotten more snow than Chicago (not exactly a winter weather slouch) has EVER received in an entire winter.

Ok, I love the fact that spring is here (for the most part), but we've got some really schizophrenic temperatures going on right now.

When I went to bed in the wee hours of the morning, it was 39 (4C) outside. When I got up, it was 80 (27C). WTF? I mean, our temperature ranges are usually pretty big here, but good lord.

Back