What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

View attachment 2292363

Field salad with buttermilk-lemon dressing, baked vegetables (carrots, beetroot) with baked feta, butter bean puree, crushed hazelnut topping and balsamic cream with sauteed red onions
Thanks! Inspiration was sorely needed because I had no appetite and things tasted mostly sawdust anyway.
There was feta and some veggies around though, so
IMG_0981.jpeg

Possibly a stupid question but still:

When the kids left the baby stage behind I threw out the microwave because we rarely used it, it took up space and it was mounted so high up that a halfling like me had to get things out of it rather high above head height.

Now that oldes child lives mostly away from home, it is more often that only one or two of us is eating and shedules get shifted a bit and we end up with things not yet thawed when we’d like to eat them.
So, I was considering getting a little microwave again.
The child would like an airfryer though and I admit I find them a but tempting too, but space is limited.

At this point, an idea bubbled up in my head.
Airfryers can cook things from frozen. They could also reheat leftovers I think?
And they’d be quick at cooking salmon, chicken veggies etc that we do eat a lot.
And it could make bake up bread and potato croquettes and fries from the freezer for the carb happy ones.

So, could the airfryer work instead of the microwave for us? If so, what is important to have, to make it as useful as possible?

TL;DR:
Should I get an airfryer and if so what are features to make sure it has?

So, could the airfryer work instead of the microwave for us? If so, what is important to have, to make it as useful as possible?

TL;DR:
Should I get an airfryer and if so what are features to make sure it has?
So far I’m happy with going with an airfryer instead of a microwave.
IMG_1403.jpeg

I’m also very happy that food has taste again.

Omelette with brussel sprouts and feta for dinner tonight and the rest of the feta with miso glazes brussel sprouts and cherry tomatoes for lunch tomorrow.

IMG_1466.jpegIMG_1467.jpeg

Pita filled with sweet potato & black bean patty, arugula, tomato, marinated red onion and carrot tzatziki. Very tasty, I’m glad I’ll be having the same for lunch tomorrow. ☺️

Omelette with brussel sprouts and feta for dinner tonight and the rest of the feta with miso glazes brussel sprouts and cherry tomatoes for lunch tomorrow.
What do you put in the miso glaze besides miso?

What do you put in the miso glaze besides miso?
I used olive oil, miso paste, lemon juice and a drop of maple syrup and a bit of black pepper.
Used something like it for carrots cut hasselback style before.

Today was chevre baked salmon, roasted brussel sprouts and cherry tomatoes.
Very yummy!
IMG_1473.jpeg

This was last night, but I'm having it again tonight: Polish sausage and fried potatoes seasoned with soul food seasoning, green bean casserole, boiled yellow squash, and coleslaw. It was so good.

This was last night, but I'm having it again tonight: Polish sausage and fried potatoes seasoned with soul food seasoning, green bean casserole, boiled yellow squash, and coleslaw. It was so good.
I feel like we’ve discussed soul food seasoning before, or at least that I’ve googled it before. But I’m gonna have to do it again. It sounds intriguing!

And what’s also interesting, I’ve never had boiled squash. It’s never occurred to me that you could cook it that way, too.

I wish I had, more often, the patience to cook several different kinds of sides to my dinners. Sounds tasty!

I feel like we’ve discussed soul food seasoning before, or at least that I’ve googled it before. But I’m gonna have to do it again. It sounds intriguing!

And what’s also interesting, I’ve never had boiled squash. It’s never occurred to me that you could cook it that way, too.

I wish I had, more often, the patience to cook several different kinds of sides to my dinners. Sounds tasty!

Soul food seasoning is great, and it's so much easier than trying to get all the ratios of the different spices right. Or it is to me!

I highly encourage you trying boiled squash, if you want. It's very good, if you're a squash fan. (I am; it's my favorite vegetable. I'll eat it cooked literally any way.)

This!
I highly encourage you trying boiled squash, if you want. It's very good, if you're a squash fan. (I am; it's my favorite vegetable. I'll eat it cooked literally any way.)
I have made boiled squash, but then I have thinky sliced it, just bould it quickly, cooled it and dressed it with a vinaigrette,
When I googled boiled yellow squash, I found recipes called southern style with onion and bacon grease. Is that the type you do?

I made an old favourite today:
IMG_1477.jpeg

Grease splattered all over though, but I’ll think about that tomorrow. :D

This!

I have made boiled squash, but then I have thinky sliced it, just bould it quickly, cooled it and dressed it with a vinaigrette,
When I googled boiled yellow squash, I found recipes called southern style with onion and bacon grease. Is that the type you do?

I made an old favourite today:
View attachment 2315325

Grease splattered all over though, but I’ll think about that tomorrow. :D

Yep, onion and grease and salt and pepper. I usually don't have bacon grease lying around, though, so I cheat and use vegetable oil instead. The trick is to boil all the water out of the pan so that the grease/oil creates a layer on the bottom that allows the squash to brown slightly. :)

Eta: Boiled with a vinaigrette sounds good, too!

Yep, onion and grease and salt and pepper. I usually don't have bacon grease lying around, though, so I cheat and use vegetable oil instead. The trick is to boil all the water out of the pan so that the grease/oil creates a layer on the bottom that allows the squash to brown slightly. :)

Eta: Boiled with a vinaigrette sounds good, too!
Thanks! I’ll have to try! Probably a stupid question, but which vegetable exactly do you mean by squash? There are so many different kinds… The yellow zucchini like? Or any kind, basically?

Thanks! I’ll have to try! Probably a stupid question, but which vegetable exactly do you mean by squash? There are so many different kinds… The yellow zucchini like? Or any kind, basically?

The ones I use for this purpose are called yellow summer squash or crookneck squash. They look like this:

Screenshot_20240210_005648_Chrome.jpg

Eta: The quality of that screenshot is terrible. I'm so sorry.

Leftovers. Parsnip&potato flatbread, red cabbage and lamb.

The flatbreads came to be because I had a little bit of roasted potatoes and parsnips left over from the weekend, but not enough for two. So I mashed them, added egg and barley flour and baked in a hot(ish) oven. Very tasty, I’m happy.

Back