What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

Leftovers. Parsnip&potato flatbread, red cabbage and lamb.

The flatbreads came to be because I had a little bit of roasted potatoes and parsnips left over from the weekend, but not enough for two. So I mashed them, added egg and barley flour and baked in a hot(ish) oven. Very tasty, I’m happy.
Youngest Miss Althea would move in with you for that. She is a big parsnip fan.

We are having Waldorf salad with chicken tonight.

Youngest Miss Althea would move in with you for that. She is a big parsnip fan.

We are having Waldorf salad with chicken tonight.
Well there’s the police horse that looks like Pippi’s horse, as well. The reasons are adding up! 😁

Parsnips really are great, though.

Same procedure as every year:
View attachment 2317157
I love it that you have this tradition and have kept up with it for all these years. :)
My very first 100% homemade sourdough rye bread with my own fermented sourdough over 6 days.

View attachment 2317223
Drool, that looks amazing! One more reason, on top of your family vineyard, to come visit you. 😁

*off to check if there happen to be any good Valentine’s Day flight deals* 😁

I love it that you have this tradition and have kept up with it for all these years. :)
I guess it helps that it is scalable depending on the situation and energy.
We have had store bought meat balls with spaghetti and ketchup in our pyjamas while coughing and sneezing a couple of times.
This year it was actually going to be Galentine’s with youngest Miss Althea, but MrAlthea’s work trip got canceled last minute.

I don't know if it's acceptable to post pet's meals on here, but here are before and after pics of my dog's lunch... the remnants of a ribeye I grilled last night.

1000000520.jpg1000000521.jpg

Iris posting picture of a nice rack:
IMG_1567.jpeg
In general a great food weekend:

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpeg
    IMG_1568.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1569.jpeg
    IMG_1569.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1570.jpeg
    IMG_1570.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 3
I had the coriander + orange salmon from (the new) Bon Appetit. 🕵️‍♂️ I suggest trying it with green olives and serving it with couscous (+ toasted almonds maybe). It was really good! The coriander pops a little bit as it toasts in the pan. If you've never had it before, whole coriander is slightly citrusy and has an interesting texture. You really have to chew it.

Time travel with food today:

Yesterday’s Flygande Jacob, a Swedish 70’s-80’s trend made with chicken, banana, onion, peanuts, whipped cream and Heinz Chili Sauce, turned into leftovers for lunch today.
IMG_1713.jpegIMG_1712.jpeg

And for dinner a TikTok inspired salmon bowl.
IMG_1714.jpeg

Today's lunch is a sandwich of leftover tri tip steak on a garlic toasted brioche roll.

Attachments

• 1000000540.jpg
    1000000540.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 3
I made a lamb and potato stew the other night that turned out good enough to try again (and again). Walmart was selling 2 packs of rosemary-garlic lamb shanks, so I kind of winged it. The lamb went in a Dutch oven at 375F for about an hour, half covered with beef stock and Guinness - then two huge heads of garlic, paper and all for another hour. Smashed the roasted garlic, tore out the meat and thew it back in with a sliced yellow onion, a bag of mixed color baby potatoes, smoked sea salt and pepper, cooked it down and thickened with 2 tbs of cornstarch towards the end. "Tavern-ish"

Youngest Miss Althea made dinner for me today and had picked flowers. Best part of a long day that I did get through without headbutting anyone or analysing their personality and (in)competence in enough detail to get sent to HR.IMG_1882.jpeg

Brunch is currently a fried egg sandwich on sourdough with black garlic cream cheese, zhug, fried onions and cilantro from the AeroGarden with a cup of weak pour over coffee. I'm almost ready. Almost.

I have a dilemma though. Can you help? The other day, I received two gift cards in the mail. Both were for the same amount, for the same place. One is surely a redundant copy of the other; I called to confirm with the person who sent it and only one was paid for. So now, do I spend both like I don't know about it, or do I throw one away since I know it's a mistake?

- confused, in a bowl in Nebraksa

There was no way I was going to not try a recipe for tuna and creme cheese mousse.
It was great and there is enough for several lunches!
IMG_2151.jpegIMG_2152.jpeg

I also made a brunch and a german crustless cheese cake and for dinner Parmesanencrusted chicken with lemon garlic butter sauce, rice and salad with ranch dressing.
A full day!

For those that don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent:

View attachment 2320372
That looks yummy! I honestly don't remember when i last time cooked something.I was so busy with my coursework for the last couple of weeks, that i barely remembered to eat. Now that i found these guys https://ukwritings.com/coursework-help i think i will have more time to enjoy my meals and maybe even to cook something for the whole family. I will try to chill a little more now.

Last edited:
Back