What's happened to publishing lately?

Does it occur to you that Laurel may not respond to your complaint because there's no basis for it? I see no evidence of your stories being bombed. The three stories that show ratings have ratings of 4.82, 4.84, and 4.74. Those are very high scores. I don't understand how someone with scores that high can complain of bombing. You cannot be sure that negative votes for you stories are fake votes worthy of sweeping. You also cannot be sure that the drop may not result from the sweeping of fake positive votes. I am not aware that laurel has a habit of assuring authors that their sweep requests have been responded to, and there is very good reason for that.
Does it occur to you that you might be late with this comment?

The scores were 4.8+ and 4.9+ before the bomber took wind of me, and then they dropped below 4.5 on all the stories. Laurel did the sweep, eventually, so my scores bounced up, sharply.

I've had this same problem in the past and found there can be a significant difference in pending time between submitting a story as an attached file and submitting it in the text box with html tags. The latter, though it is more work on my end, has usually resulted in a 2-3 day wait. The former can take weeks.
I think this does make a difference, copying and pasting into the Form provided. That's what it's for, and my advice is to use it. Maybe your story will get published faster...

I think this does make a difference, copying and pasting into the Form provided. That's what it's for, and my advice is to use it. Maybe your story will get published faster...
This seems like an obvious potential issue. I always copy paste into the form with markup. Never had a delay.

Em

I'm going to try this for my next story. I usually upload a Word or .rtf file, and it usually takes 2-4 days, whereas the wait time seems to be shorter for some other "established" authors.

Thank you for saying this. "Sucks to be you!" seems to be the standard response here.

I've had this same problem in the past and found there can be a significant difference in pending time between submitting a story as an attached file and submitting it in the text box with html tags. The latter, though it is more work on my end, has usually resulted in a 2-3 day wait. The former can take weeks.
Not really. I started submitting my stories as an attatched file out of convenience, since not too many sites allow that and the copy pasta, then edit gets so damn tiresome, especially when you're on as many sites as I am. My other account, the incest story I've been publishing here; I copied each chapter to it's own file and submission to publish was a day, although it seemed some was being held until I submitted the next chapter, then it was a little longer. This was during a contest at that. I submitted a new chapter to an old story the same way and it was about three or four days.

Oh but it's because you've been here so long- I'm not so sure how much a factor that is. You've been here long and write a lot, so she reconizes you; I have, not sure if she does, and I don't write a lot. True the requirements are kinda slack, but the less work needed, the more likely faster one might get published. Are new accounts scrutinized more, not sure and that would kinda tie into the seniority thing. Maybe amount of stories is a factor? She'd need to remember long standing and/or high submission members by comparison. Maybe it's first stories that are scrutinized? This account is new, unless she lurks enough to see the several times I've mentioned being here already, I'm a newb in her eyes. My story took less than a week, my "only" story, submitted as a file. I don't think that's too much of a factor, depending on what she uses, I'd think that if anything took longer, it'd be copypasta she had to format, granted attatched files kept formatting as original.

Yup, although I have left the story alone since it was was most recently submitted on the 28th September, I had previously submitted it a couple of times before that, but every time I pulled and resubmitted, it didn't yield anything.
Because everytime you do that, you're putting 100+ submissions before yours. We don't know what program she's using and you might just be shooting yourself in the foot.

Here's an idea. Leave it alone, write something else and see what happens. I ain't being a smart ass, this seems like a chance to experiment to get some incling to whatever shes doing. She has to see it to know it's there, so does the new submission gain attention to the old one, will they both go live, or will just the new one, or the old one first, then the new one, or are you just in publishing hell?

This is... really bad advice. If your current story is stuck in pending hell after being falsely rejected for using AI, why would you put in the time and effort to write another one knowing there's more than a remote possibility of it being flagged as well? I think most people would be concerned about something pending for 2 months, and they'd consider it lost in the system. It's perfectly reasonable for them to resubmit it at that point.
That's kinda why I said it's an experiment. We don't know what will happen.

Does it occur to you that Laurel may not respond to your complaint because there's no basis for it? I see no evidence of your stories being bombed. The three stories that show ratings have ratings of 4.82, 4.84, and 4.74. Those are very high scores. I don't understand how someone with scores that high can complain of bombing. You cannot be sure that negative votes for you stories are fake votes worthy of sweeping. You also cannot be sure that the drop may not result from the sweeping of fake positive votes. I am not aware that laurel has a habit of assuring authors that their sweep requests have been responded to, and there is very good reason for that.
Laurel may also be aware that the person complaining of bombing is also the person who at one time pulled their stories because in their opinion they were not getting enough views as he felt they should have.

Now, they're posting again and the issue is the same person now thinks their stories aren't scoring as highly as they should.

In this case its obvious the only issue is unrealistic expectations from a needy author.

Last edited:
This is... really bad advice. If your current story is stuck in pending hell after being falsely rejected for using AI, why would you put in the time and effort to write another one knowing there's more than a remote possibility of it being flagged as well? I think most people would be concerned about something pending for 2 months, and they'd consider it lost in the system. It's perfectly reasonable for them to resubmit it at that point.
My advice is to take your work to a site that takes things seriously, and doesn't have one set of rules for longtime members and another for less established folks. A site that also sees a rising problem(and AI is a huge one and affecting everything) and is addressing it, and not doing the usual, "whatever, we're the bestest site ever, people can just leave."

Which is what I'm suggesting you do, so you can find a far more professionally run site. I have not had this issue, but unlike others have some empathy for you-and others-frustration, and knowing what I know of this site, I know you'll be treated better else where.

For here, the real answer , which gets more and more glaring to anyone who isn't a self centered boot lick, is we should have heard from Laurel-or Manu-on this issue and that they know it exists and are trying to figure it out, so have patience. Struggling with something like this is acceptable, but ignoring everyone's problems in their typical irresponsible way is not acceptable.

Also they said nothing about their story being held up by ai checks, just that it's taken forever to be whatever needs to be done, that we know of. The OP has the ai issue, not the person I replied to, that I know of.

Well, if you're unfortunate enough to have your work rejected for this reason, we'll let you do the experiment, and you can tell us how it goes.
I will, because there's nothing to lose or fear by having two pending stories. It's not like I'm asking them to play russian roullet with a Glock.

This seems like an obvious potential issue. I always copy paste into the form with markup. Never had a delay.

Em
I always copy and paste too, but my last story had a rejection from AI and my new one is taking forever (submitted Friday afternoon still pending.)

You mentioned that you heavily edited your story rejected for AI use, and it was subsequently accepted. Do you mind telling us in general terms how you edited it? Did you fix grammar, or dialog? Also, you mentioned your currently pending story is a holiday one. Are you submitting it for the current contest, or does it just have a holiday theme?
There was oddly a wrong pronoun somewhere. Reading through it one more time there was a few sentences that didn't sound as good as I liked.

Yeah, it's for the winter holiday contest! About Santa's daughter going to grant a wish of a university girl in California after she found her letter rejected by Santa.

Again, easy to say, since you haven't experienced this yourself.
One, both, or niether gets rejected or published. The fuck else could possibly happen? A plane falls on my apartment? Will Laurel sic one of the monsters from Letter Munchers to eat me?

I'm going to try this for my next story. I usually upload a Word or .rtf file, and it usually takes 2-4 days, whereas the wait time seems to be shorter for some other "established" authors.
Simon...you of all people should be classed as an "Established Author"?

I always copy and paste too, but my last story had a rejection from AI and my new one is taking forever (submitted Friday afternoon still pending.)
I wonder if once you get rejected...your new stories then have to have human interaction...so get put in the slow queue?

I wonder if once you get rejected...your new stories then have to have human interaction...so get put in the slow queue?
I think that might be the case too. And vice versa -- once you're established, you get fast-tracked.

Wanda shower thought:

I'm pretty sure there are all sorts of flags on our user accounts for indicating things which will then be fed into whatever the moderation queue uses. Given the rapid rise of AI I'd be staggered if there wasn't a potential_ai field which gets set when stories are flagged, thus resulting in enhanced scrutiny.

In the financial world, risk is assigned to things like new accounts, accounts belonging to high risk or politically exposed people, accounts with fraud markers etcetera. There's definitely some sort of system doing something like that here.

Makes me glad I started writing in 2013 and my output isn't that high. I guess I'm the proverbial low-risk client 🤷‍♀️ newer authors have the handicap of having that hyper-sensitive flag on their accounts with no established corpus behind them as a rebuttal.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I am here to bring tidings of additional confusion.

On the 24th, I uploaded THREE stories within about 12 hours in between. (I should add that have never had a single story rejected for AI or any other reason.) - And surprisingly, the second of these three got accepted and uploaded almost instantly. The other two, however, are still pending several days later. :unsure: Why was the middle one accepted!? One of the two remaining is a 750 word challenge story so it should be a quick check. The story that got accepted was significantly longer.

I am here to bring tidings of additional confusion.

On the 24th, I uploaded THREE stories within about 12 hours in between. (I should add that have never had a single story rejected for AI or any other reason.) - And surprisingly, the second of these three got accepted and uploaded almost instantly. The other two, however, are still pending several days later. :unsure: Why was the middle one accepted!? One of the two remaining is a 750 word challenge story so it should be a quick check. The story that got accepted was significantly longer.
were they all in the same category?

All the stories have human interaction. Laurel apparently skims them herself, probably in a writing processor. Nobody really knows how she does it all, except maybe Manu and both are tight lipped. I haven't had a rejection in years, but possibly a rejected resubmission might go in a seperate que, than regular submissions.

were they all in the same category?

Negative - And it seems I spoke to soon, because all of a sudden, some of my older stories that have been available on the website for months just got pulled for using AI, which is extra bizarre because those stories contain fetishes that no AI (or sane person, for that matter) would ever dream of writing. 😓 Very peculiar.

Back