Story Sent Back due to AI?

Question for those who tweaked their story and resubmitted. How do you even decide what to change prior to resubmitting? I don't know what the scans are looking for, so it would be like throwing darts in the dark for me.

Add typos. I'm not even joking.

Like I said before, I don't know why, so please don't ask me.
I feel personally aggrieved. My dialogue style is acceptable for actual publishing in the UK. Why isn’t it accepted here, if it is consistent as a style?

I feel personally aggrieved. My dialogue style is acceptable for actual publishing in the UK. Why isn’t it accepted here, if it is consistent as a style?

Can I ask a stupid question? I've never seen it like that, with the quotation marks inside the punctuation. Where'd you learn to do that?

Also, and more importantly, you don't know that dialog is what got you bounced.
In the united states, the puncutions goes in the "." and in the UK it goes outside " ".
Can I ask a stupid question? I've never seen it like that, with the quotation marks inside the punctuation. Where'd you learn to do that?

Look... I don't know what to tell you. I don't live in Laurel's head, so I have no idea what the motivation behind this move is. And, sadly, there's also nobody to ask that we could expect an answer from...

...on here, that is.

I DID ask Lazeez, the guy running SOL (where you can make actual money from your writing instead of just publishing it to maybe promote a Patreon or Amazon account, so I'd expect to see the same level of crap-submissions there as on Amazon), and, apparently, there's ONE user he suspects of submitting AI content. And, I imagine, that's solely because of that user's submission volume.

So, next, I sent messages to other sites. Lushstories, AO3, the BDSM Library, and even Choya. Not one of them seems to be the least bit concerned about AI content. As far as I can tell, Literotica is the only site that implemented a rule like this AND is vigorously enforcing it. Again, I don't know what made them do it, but hearing from all those other sites that there is no problem with an abundance of low-quality submissions that seem to be AI-generated, I can't imagine Lit being that much different. Because I don't see how Lit is that much different from all the other sites (except for the increased audience, and even that's debatable by now as it never publishes any actual numbers).

On the other hand, I can't imagine that they have any interest in driving away authors, so there must be SOME valid reason for it. I just don't think it has anything to do with the quality of writing.

The person could be posting stories he'd already published elsewhere though!
Look... I don't know what to tell you. I don't live in Laurel's head, so I have no idea what the motivation behind this move is. And, sadly, there's also nobody to ask that we could expect an answer from...

...on here, that is.

I DID ask Lazeez, the guy running SOL (where you can make actual money from your writing instead of just publishing it to maybe promote a Patreon or Amazon account, so I'd expect to see the same level of crap-submissions there as on Amazon), and, apparently, there's ONE user he suspects of submitting AI content. And, I imagine, that's solely because of that user's submission volume.

So, next, I sent messages to other sites. Lushstories, AO3, the BDSM Library, and even Choya. Not one of them seems to be the least bit concerned about AI content. As far as I can tell, Literotica is the only site that implemented a rule like this AND is vigorously enforcing it. Again, I don't know what made them do it, but hearing from all those other sites that there is no problem with an abundance of low-quality submissions that seem to be AI-generated, I can't imagine Lit being that much different. Because I don't see how Lit is that much different from all the other sites (except for the increased audience, and even that's debatable by now as it never publishes any actual numbers).

On the other hand, I can't imagine that they have any interest in driving away authors, so there must be SOME valid reason for it. I just don't think it has anything to do with the quality of writing.

They must be using some software to determine this is AI and this isn't. I'm sure they have a minimum % of AI allowed before they hit their redline. But what that % is, is anyone's guess? The fact you don't produce using AI doesn't mean the software won't flag it as AI. It's looking for whatever it looks like, AI to its logarithms. I think Lieutenant Commander Data and AI have something in common. They don't use contractions. But I can't be positive since I don't use AI.
And we don't know what that reason is. Also, there is no consistency behind the rejections - at least from where I'm sitting.

They say you can use writing aids for grammar changes, but when I said that that was all I used it for, I got rejected on AI grounds.

I submitted a part without using a grammar checker and it passed through without any issue.

Tried to use the same thing for the current part and it's been rejected 4 times.

There's no consistency between each rejection and it isn't as if my writing style has changed momentously between each part of the story. There's also been up to month-long gaps between each part being published, so it isn't like I'm writing too quickly or anything (although as someone who wrote 4 80K+ works across a sixth-month period, the thought of being accused of using AI for that sucks).

It's gotten to the point where I don't want to keep fighting it or pushing through parts for this story that I might have to spend a month fighting to put up.

Who has time for that every time they want to post something?

Another rejection…

This feels monumentally petty, given how poor some of the recent published works have been for punctuation and grammar. Like - I am fuming.

I will make the changes and re-submit. If this one doesn’t get published, then it’s end game for me.
This is fucking great, it told you exactly what was wrong. People are dealing with dozens of AI rejections with no recourse, and you're complaining about this very helpful rejection that points out exactly what mistake you were making?

And a quick google search indicates it's not a British rules issue. In British English, 'This is how they punctuate dialogue.'

This is fucking great, it told you exactly what was wrong. People are dealing with dozens of AI rejections with no recourse, and you're complaining about this very helpful rejection that points out exactly what mistake you were making?

Except that’s not strictly speaking true. I had already gone over those guidelines before. Getting the example is good, I’ll grant you - but there’s no guarantee yet I will get this published as we’re not getting lists of issues, we’re getting one issue at a time and multiple rejections on AI despite editing.

And a quick google search indicates it's not a British rules issue. In British English, 'This is how they punctuate dialogue.'

Your google search hasn’t taken into account that different punctuation styles have built up over centuries. My style is legitimate and recognised in the UK.

I was taught it, in the UK.

I have physically published books in other genres in this style. It’s an in house style for several publishers in the UK too.

But not for Laurel here at her site. Don't ever forget it is her sight.
Except that’s not strictly speaking true. I had already gone over those guidelines before. Getting the example is good, I’ll grant you - but there’s no guarantee yet I will get this published as we’re not getting lists of issues, we’re getting one issue at a time and multiple rejections on AI despite editing.

Your google search hasn’t taken into account that different punctuation styles have built up over centuries. My style is legitimate and recognised in the UK.

I have physically published books in other genres in this style. It’s an in house style for several publishers in the UK too.

Again, I don't know why, what is which, or which is why here. However, stories may be stories with out dialog in them.
Well great. Why hasn’t she stopped the literal dozens of stories without any punctuation for dialogue at all?

Seems inconsistent.

It sucks if all issues aren't being pointed out in the initial rejection, true. But this particular rejection was admirable for its clarity on this particular issue.

It was a very quick search! Learn something new everyday. I don't think I've ever seen punctuation outside the quotes in any published book. Do they do different editions of things like Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia and Alice in Wonderland so the British one does it one way and the American one the other way? Or is the outside style just uncommon, though acceptable, even in Britain?
Well great. Why hasn’t she stopped the literal dozens of stories without any punctuation for dialogue at all?
Can you share one? Is it recent?

If the book is published in America, it's adjusted to our rules. I don't know how common it is there anymore, but apparently, when Dad was a pup, he got an oldish British copy of Dracula that his father bought while stationed in England. It had the old-style punctuation. He sold it in the 1970s for a good sum.
It sucks if all issues aren't being pointed out in the initial rejection, true. But this particular rejection was admirable for its clarity on this particular issue.

It was a very quick search! Learn something new everyday. I don't think I've ever seen punctuation outside the quotes in any published book. Do they do different editions of things like Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia and Alice in Wonderland so the British one does it one way and the American one the other way? Or is the outside style just uncommon, though acceptable, even in Britain?

Can you share one? Is it recent?

As a Brit, I've always been taught that it goes inside :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I've read SCADS of books published in Britain, for Britons; my studies led me to many British periodicals, including some 1860s editions of Punch I've got upstairs.

Never once have I seen punctuation outside quotes.

Which isn't to say @STrent is wrong; they've got scant reason to lie about this, and I'm the last one to claim I know everything. But it's merely to point out that Laurel and Manu are in good company when they insist on it being done their way.

They must be using some software to determine this is AI and this isn't. I'm sure they have a minimum % of AI allowed before they hit their redline. But what that % is, is anyone's guess? The fact you don't produce using AI doesn't mean the software won't flag it as AI. It's looking for whatever it looks like, AI to its logarithms. I think Lieutenant Commander Data and AI have something in common. They don't use contractions. But I can't be positive since I don't use AI.
They are. My last rejection it said we ran your story through many times and it said likely AI, so they are using some program.

Has there been any progress? I have been looking over my own writing, and I have a proofreader and an editor to make sure my writing looks good. Neither of them use AI. I even use Scribbr to check is it is AI. The website tells me that the entirety of my submissions are, at worst, 30% written by AI. I don't know how to fix that as outside of F7 button, my stories are written by me.
I am not sure what else to do. I could try changing my style, but I think it will come out looking bad.
I am open to any and all suggestions.

Also, and more importantly, you don't know that dialog is what got you bounced.

In the united states, the puncutions goes in the "." and in the UK it goes outside " ".
Not true.

This confusion arises because people don't seem to understand the difference between dialogue and a quotation. UK and US English are the same when it comes to dialogue - the punctuation sits within the punctuation marks. "Like this?" she asked. "Like that," he replied.

When a piece of dialogue is quoted by someone else, the second speaker's punctuation goes outside the quotation marks.

For example: Did Churchill write, "We shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them in the streets, we shall never surrender!"? Note the !"? - this came up a couple of days ago, and the rules of grammar haven't changed.

The punctuation stays with the sentence it is punctuating.

Yeah, I've read SCADS of books published in Britain, for Britons; my studies led me to many British periodicals, including some 1860s editions of Punch I've got upstairs.

Never once have I seen punctuation outside quotes.
See my post above. In this instance, I think Millie is wrong, but is repeating a common misunderstanding.

Back