The 2024 750 Word Story Challenge Support Thread

I decided that the only way I'd do a 750 this year is if I could write a homage to Oggbashan, who made the challenge even more extreme by writing fifteen fifty-word stories.

Well, I've only produced one 50-worder, and I have no expectation of developing any more of the necessary fourteen. So let's see if the site will allow me to present the 50-worder here.

<<

“Does your wife know?”

With a wrist twist, he swirled his vodka gimlet. “She doesn’t even suspect. That’s why I married her.”

A smile showed. “So I could ruin the lives of two people, and walk away clean.”

“Potentially.”

The smile lifted the ends of the mustache. “Lead on, Senator.”

>>

It’s making a point. We call it a 750 word challenge. Why not revise the rule for the future (I’m repeating myself) so that people make a fully standalone story in 750 words. Not 1500, 2250, etc.

It’s my favorite event, given that I have less and less time or willingness to write nowadays. I’m proposing improving it for next time. That’s basically what I’ve said all along.

There’s no harm to mitigate. Series, writers, chapter writers, universe writers are within the rules as things stand now because the rules have gaps. That’s fine looking backward. Why not fix when looking forward?

Reported. My challenge to you, count my insults vs yourself and duleigh. I’m asking you not duleigh. (We’ve established duleigh is a writer, not a counter.)

Nonetheless, my point which seems to have gotten missed is, to that if some background element from a previous story doesn’t need to be included in the current one, then part of the current story was written elsewhere. So the current story wasn’t truly done in anything under 1500 words.

Why not. Reported too. I won’t call you names though.

I probably could have worded my earlier post better. (Everyone else seemed to understand it though, I’m just sayin’). I pointed out the rules as they stand (which is my whole point, the wording needs a tune-up) very ironically don’t expressly forbid chapters either. and that’s my whole point. To continually improve moving forward, make the rules more clear for next time.

Interesting twist. I like it. You’re not sneaking additional words in via another story.
Ah, I guess that's why I haven't seen you around often, in a while. You don't need profanity or insults to act like a jackass. The rule is a complete story written in 750 words. Where's the gaps? Somebody not following the rules isn't finding gaps, they just aren't following the rules, or amazingly unclear of it, seeing as every year people are having questions about how to do the challenge.

Again... the rule is a complete story in 750 words. That sounds like it forbids chapters.

I understand you reporting me for saying you were acting like, not being a jackass, because there's a difference. Jackass, jerk, whatever word you wanna use as an excuse for being antagonistic for no reason. But for using the word "lynched"? That just makes you a petty little bitch, and yes, now I am calling you a name. OoOoOo rEPoRtEd. Toughen up buttercup.

@Duleigh , @jsmiam and (to a lesser degree) @M_K_Babalon - please stop this. It’s so unnecessary. You’re all decent people most of the time. Clearly you have got under each other’s skins here, but try to be adults about it.

If you wanna insult someone, insult me. You know, the dizzy annoying blonde with the big mouth and a penchant for telling others what to do. Go right ahead.

Emily
I'm not gonna give you the satisfaction of telling me what to do, you poopyhead.

...damn it...

Yes, but it wasn't in error - it was over by 2 words. It is recognized that there are discrepancies in how different word processing apps count words. The "golden standard" seems to be MSWord, but there are two others used to verify counts that I can't recall. Hit any one of those +/- 2 and you shouldn't get kicked back. I mostly use Apple Pages, which for some reason adds two words relative to MSWord.

But I agree with pink, you must have double-pasted into the submission box.
One of mine ended up 748 by the story sides counter. But all of mine are exactly 750 words, except the one that's 752 in an attempt to counteract whatever happened to that former one.

I’ve been obsessing over my pending submission and keep second guessing myself.

I thought it would be easy enough to self edit 750 words but I found one blatant grammatical error, two minor continuity errors, and I have come up with two better titles.

Oh well 🤣

The continuity errors came from the shrinking process. I wrote the first draft without counting and hit ~ 920 words. Paring it down left a couple of ideas hanging…

What a great exercise! I’m thoroughly enjoying this!
With one of them I thought about making each paragragh a hundred words or so, too add up to the 750, but one went over, so I said fuck it.
For clarification, it was sent back by the mods for this specific reason and I checked the text as submitted. My suspicion is that they might have CTRL+Ved twice on their end when putting it into whatever software they use to check. I could also just be losing my mind, which is plausible.
You can review a story that's been rejected, the same as you can one pending.
Well, the challenge is to get the ENTIRE idea on the screen with an exact number of words. Foolish drooling about series benefits aside, (we've never had a series of benefits as far as I know) it's a tough job and I'm proud of @EmilyMiller for doing it twenty times, each in a different category. Emily Superhero!
We are proud of our lil Emily.

I stopped engaging Duleigh for the benefit of the thread, regardless of whether he stopped or not.

I’ll blame myself for the poor wording, since two people now apparently didn’t see my point, which was the irony of it all that the rules don’t explicitly forbid chapters either (nor series or universes,) meaning they are less clear than they could be.

Nonetheless I won’t bother with you further either, also for the benefit of the thread. I can make a prediction regarding your need for the last word as well. Congrats to you as well.
…. But for using the word "lynched"? That just makes you a petty little bitch, and yes, now I am calling you a name. OoOoOo rEPoRtEd. Toughen up buttercup.

750 is tough, it's like haiku. it's not spewing out words, words are carefully selected, sentences are specifically crafted.
I agree. It’s hard to back into 750 words. I took some out, rearranged a few, added some here, checked for continuity, etc etc. it takes me just as long to wittle it down and edit as it does to write the 750 words.

But it is fun. 750 words is about it for my attention span as a reader and writer.

Managed to do two stories.

There's a ton of people who didn't see your point, because it was just plain wrong.

Holy fuck ... and the 'School in the Summertime Award' this year goes to ... (unanimous decision btw)

Just fucking wow. Hold the vinegar and water. We have enough here.

@Duleigh, you said “There's a ton of people who didn't see your point, because it was just plain wrong.”

Only since you choose to continue: I was referring only to you and mkbaby misunderstanding that I was only pointing out the irony that the rules don’t explicitly forbid chapters either, yet you got all rulesy saying chapters are forbidden. PS, look up “explicitly,” which I said many many times.

I think chapters shouldn’t be allowed, nor series, nor universes, because at least some part of an alleged 750 word story will be told elsewhere, making it no longer truly only 750 words, making it a fail as far as meeting the spirit of the challenge. I’m not wrong on that.

I’ll make a “3 strikes and I’ll reply” rule for myself, except I know how to count. I’m again done with you unless you make three addditional sniping comments.

168aa97e4ca2926071f847087bd7a511.gif

256.png

My humble suggestion would be: Less arguing, more writing. 😅
StillStunned's Golden Rule of Online Arguing: Reply once to clear up a misunderstanding. After that, let it go because you're never going to change the other person's mind.

It does wonders for my blood pressure.

Just posted another! 😊
Yes... but... arguing in an online forum is writing! A couple of those missives almost qualify as 750 stories.

Yes, I know where the door is. I'll let myself out.

🤪

Maybe, but those comments all deserve 1-bombs. 😁

StillStunned's Golden Rule of Online Arguing: Reply once to clear up a misunderstanding. After that, let it go because you're never going to change the other person's mind.

See, I think you are wrong there. Let me go get a citation.

Emily

Ah, but maybe if I reply ten more times with increasingly angry wording - peppered with the occasional insult or belittling comment - I might finally convince you to change your mind, and bow down to my superiority! 😝

(Great rule, I approve! Now get off the forums and finish your Gardening story! *Cracks whip* )

Ah, but maybe if I reply ten more times with increasingly angry wording - peppered with the occasional insult or belittling comment - I might finally convince you to change your mind, and bow down to my superiority! 😝

(Great rule, I approve! Now get off the forums and finish your Gardening story! *Cracks whip* )
Did someone say “whip!”

Arguments here in the forum reminds me of something my ex-wife once said.
When sitting at the dinner table with the kids, we would often disagree with something my ex-wife would say. She would repeat herself again, and again, her voice growing louder each time after we added yet another example for why she was wrong.

I told her, "I'm sitting right next to you! There's no need to shout."

She replied loudly, "I have to shout so you can understand me!"

Back