Talkin All About Our Favorite Bandsā€¦Songs of 2023

Huge Lydia Loveless fan but this is probably my favorite album from her since Indestructible Machine. Every song on this album is outstanding. One of those artist that I am confused if people hear her and dont love. Really if there was any justice she would dominate pop and hell even modern country.

Sex and Money - Lydia Loveless

Caroline Rose is super fucking good. Can be all over the genre place which can be interesting. Put this on your end of year playlist and New Years too.

Where Do I Go from Here? - Caroline Rose

Played this on repeat for days when I first heard it. Digging this guy, who came out of Neffex (Flirt, Rumors).
looks like his album is called #BookTok which, for non TikTok users, is like the side of TikTok that discusses lots of books but especially smut šŸ˜
Iā€™m guessing there are some more fun themes throughout that whole album

Slipped under a few peopleā€™s radars but the Gaslight Anthem did release a new album this year. Hard to beat some of their early work, specifically 59 Sound but some good songs here. Enjoy

Michigan 1975 - the Gaslight Anthem

Kurt Vile released and EP late this year and of course it is terrific. There are several songs I could have picked including one called Tom Pettyā€™s one but tell him I asked for him. Anyways this one is the opening track and first I heard.

Another good year for the roses - Kurt Vile

Hey @morelikeasong Wilco did release an album this year and there are some decent songs.

Evicted - Wilco

I donā€™t know you well enough yet to know if youā€™re being a sarcastic ass or if you just genuinely donā€™t remember that the discussion of Wilco came from me posting this song last week šŸ˜‚

I donā€™t know you well enough yet to know if youā€™re being a sarcastic ass or if you just genuinely donā€™t remember that the discussion of Wilco came from me posting this song last week šŸ˜‚
Oh shit! My bad. I was drunk and thought you posted a different Wilco song. I am sarcastic but also pretty fucking absent minded.

Slaughter Beach Dogā€™s release close to being my favorite record this year. It might be. Every single song is great. Really like this one.

I cant believe I have not shared any Wednesday here yet. Girl rips. Fuckin guitars are mad as hell too. Really wild
Collection of sounds.

Bath County - Wednesday

More girl fronted rowdy rocknroll. Release by Bully this year is absolute killer and maybe best I have heard from her since debut.

All I Do - Bully

Pretty rough and rowdy band here. Almost reminds me of a Southern version of Johnny Thunders.

Wait for It - Country Westerns

Might post a bunch of songs here today. Hope you folks enjoy.

Boygenius. Three great singer-songwriters. Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus.
Released an EP in 2018 but 2023 saw first full release called the Record. I really like most of the songs on record but this one really stands out. Anti-Curse I believe was written and sung by Baker. Kickass stuff here.

Huge Deer Tick fan and while their 2023 release is not my favorite there are still some great songs here. I believe contributions from three members but Deer Tick is still largely John McCauley. This song My Ship is from him.

Heard about this singer songwriter while listening to BBC6. Pretty fantastic stuff.

Silver Lining - Maya Delilah​

Godsmack released what they are saying is their final studio album earlier this year. Granted I haven't followed them very closely since Oracle but it seems like they feel they have a deep enough catalog that they don't need to add to it. It's a fair thought. The self titled debut was 1997 or 8, so they've had a pretty long career. I haven't heard the whole album, or even listened to the radio much this year. I pretty much exclusively use Pandora, but this song sticks with me. Probably because I'm relating to the getting older feeling as the people we hire at work are to young to remember 9/11, yet alone life before it.

Ville Valo, singer of the Finnish goth metal band HIM, which called it a career in 2015 (IIRC) released a solo album called Neon Noir in order to close out the "love metal" category that HIM has essentially created and cornered. He briefly toured behind it and it sounds like it's probably a one off album.

I had kind of lost track of HIM in the 2010s and didn't know until around 2019 that they had dropped 3 more albums since 2006's Dark Light, so it was a shock to see the farewell tour announcement.

At one point, Godsmack and HIM were 2 of my top 3 bands.

One of the most influential punk bands out of the 90's, Rancid, also dropped a new album this year, "Tomorrow Never Comes". If you were listening to any alternative station in the mid 90's you recognize their tracks "Time Bomb" and "Ruby Soho" from their breakout record "And Out Come The Wolves". You've also heard vocalist Tim Armstrong from any number of his side projects, including The Transplants with Blink 182 dinner, Travis Barker (think back to the Garnier Fructise commercial from 2003 which used the track "Diamonds and Guns".

Last edited:
Back