Ornithamateurs - The Birding Thread

I love seeing hawks. Depending where I am, I see them daily. I drive a lot, and love it when I come to an area where you see hawk after hawk at regular intervals along fence posts, trees, whatever is there. They seem to have a height at which they like to perch, and once you find a place that caters to their sweet spot they just line up according to territorial boundaries.

I also am seeing a lot more in urban settings. They certainly are spoiled for choice as far as a food source goes in many cities. It's good to see them thriving.

So true. I'm in a city enough for nature apathetics like me, and it's all about the light poles. Once in a while a merlin shows up in my back yard or a coopers' lands on the sidewalk five feet in front of me, gives me a look, and takes off again.

this is a Swallow Tailed Kite (elanoides forficatus) It's a migratory species that returns here around the the first of March and heads south around the middle of August. They migrate as far south as Argentina for the winter. I've been lucky enough to have a nesting pair on my place for a few years. They are among the most beautiful and graceful flyers you'll ever see...

Raptor jealous fits here. Wow!

There's a hawk nesting in one of our great big oak tres. I'll try to snag a picture.

Raptor jealous fits here. Wow!

These birds are interesting in that they eat on the wing. I have at least one photo of a "swallow tail" clutching a frog in one foot and (I believe) eating it in flight.

These birds are interesting in that they eat on the wing. I have at least one photo of a "swallow tail" clutching a frog in one foot and (I believe) eating it in flight.

Well what are you waiting for? Post it please! :D
You too, Wife of Bath! Hope you get a pic :)

Here's a hawk for you CnC - We have a lot of them. Sometimes they swoop through the feeder area and try to pick off one of the nice birds.

tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo5_1280.jpg

He didn't like his photo being taken and decided to leave. I caught his underside as a result. :)

tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo10_1280.jpg

Wanna see my pecker ladies?

I've got several shots

I've got a cute little pecker here

tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo6_1280.jpg

and another pecker shot - slightly larger one here. Those are male and female Bluebirds in the background.

tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo1_1280.jpg

I like Redheads too - Redheaded woodpeckers.

tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo3_1280.jpg

and the Pileated. He's awesome. He looks and sounds like a prehistoric bird. He can just demolish a chunk of suet when he makes an appearance too.

tumblr_o4rn9zlvjE1s754npo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_o4rn9zlvjE1s754npo6_1280.jpg

great shots of the Pileated woodpecker! These are the shyest of birds around here. I've never been able to capture more than a fleeting glimpse with the camera...

I'm not really a birder, but I though I'd contribute a few pics from an excursion. :)

Horned Screamers:
horned+screamers1459391077.jpg

Orange-backed Troupial:
orangebacked+troupial1459391157.jpg

Yellow-headed Caracara:
yellowheaded+caracara1459391036.jpg

Macaws:
macaws1459391135.jpg

WOW! The macaws in flight are gorgeous. Love the orange-backed troupial, too!

These were from a work trip to Brazil. My SO tagged along; he's the birder, and the photographer. The colors and size of some species were rather spectacular. :)

Beautiful, Endless!! Thanks for sharing! :heart:
I really love the cars cara. I have seen a few in Texas, The Mexican Eagle variety, and they are so beautiful. I love watching them!

Back