Official Support Thread - 5th Annual 750 Word Project

Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while now...And I decided today to bite the bullet and do it!

I have my 750 word story. I hope nobody minds the complete lack of sex in it...but I think it's a good one. (I actually had to add to it to get it up to 750...lol)

Do we wait til February to submit? I feel like we should be waiting..
I'm the same, tinkering but waiting for the February submission date. Probably best to wait, so it doesn't get lost from the lists.

You'd be surprised.

It's coming along. I don't know if it'll go into anal or comedy.

To my surprise I banged one out this morning. It's exactly 750 (per MSWord) at this point, with plenty of time to massage for clarity and overall readability.

Will there be another? Not planning on it, but I wasn't planning on this one, either.

Mine's all tied up and ready... not sure though if there is enough in it to drop into the BDSM category or not

Got one. I think it's better than my previous ones in that it seems roughly the right length for the material, but it's not erotic. But people hate 750 word stories anyway. I'll reread and post in the morning.

I don't understand how people fart 750 stories like buns. It takes a few minutes to write the initial draft but weeks to polish it. If the story is good, the polishing is endless. It can even get to a stage where it becomes a poem with a metrical form.
Funny you mention that.

Most of my 750-worders are story ideas that I knew wouldn’t make Real Stories, but which I thought I could do more with than… poems.

They usually take about a half hour. They tend to be vignettes. I wouldn‘t say I enjoy writing them, and I surely don’t look forward to posting them. But they’re an interesting exercise that gives life to ideas that would otherwise remain unwritten.

I don't understand how people fart 750 stories like buns. It takes a few minutes to write the initial draft but weeks to polish it. If the story is good, the polishing is endless. It can even get to a stage where it becomes a poem with a metrical form.
Umm... I wrote mine in less than an hour, spent half an hour tweaking words. Done. It's not Ulysses we're writing here.

Got one. I think it's better than my previous ones in that it seems roughly the right length for the material, but it's not erotic. But people hate 750 word stories anyway. I'll reread and post in the morning.
The anthology listing opening post says wait till February, I think.

I don't understand how people fart 750 stories like buns. It takes a few minutes to write the initial draft but weeks to polish it. If the story is good, the polishing is endless.
First off, I've found that this is a great way to kill off plot bunnies, you know the ones - those great little vignettes that pop to mind but you don't have a place for any of them in your current projects, they make awesome 750 word fodder. As for polishing, I have Word read it to me, and when I hear it a few times in a row without feeling the need for correction, I leave it alone.

It's helpful if you write sparing drafts to begin with and your review is mostly adding here and there.

It's fairly easy. I write a 300-400 word outline and then embellish it in critical places to 750. That way, I don't agonize over cutting. About two hours in total. I've written several stories into these contests and thoroughly enjoy the challenge.

Back