I think its time the Author's Hangout had...

I kinda like the idea of a moderated sticky thread called something like "Favorite Authors" or "Most Appreciated Authors." People can propose someone, name some favorites stories, and briefly describe why the person deserves to be on the list. A moderator or Laurel can review the nomination to see if passes muster and if it does it can go up.
That's not what I had in mind. Why should someone need permission from a moderator to recommend another author's work to potential readers?

Last edited:
Fair enough. The majority of people here don't see it that way. Many have question whether it can work, but they don't see it as a negative.

Now e test your open-mindedness.

My guess to why its devisive to some is they're the same people who think straight A students who bust their ass and sacrifice time and fun with friends for good grades and a good future should be denied recognition in an honor roll because oh, no, the lazy kids who half ass it don't get anything.

Excellence should be awarded, people used to want to strive for things. To see someone who is good at something and want to rise to that level not feel everyone should sink to theirs.

Should the site do away with scores, because high scores make people with low scores feel bad? Get rid of the H for those who don't have them? Get rid of the Hall of fame story lists because not everyone can be on them? Get rid of the fav author list, tell the people on the most prolific list, sorry we can't tout you having thousands of stories here because the guy over there who only has three feels bad?

This is the same thing. There are people here who have put in far more time and effort keeping this forum alive than others, and some of them as I replied to Keith have also done that on the story side of things. Two of the people I mentioned are the #2 and #4 authors here on the all time fav list. Yes, they should get some credit for that, whether the person who's on 100 fav pages likes it or not. Everyone is free to be able to qualify for this as time moves on. If this happens I already know in two years Simon and EB will be shoe ins for the same reason this group is.

I think in this instance division is another word for this isn't fair because I don't qualify.

Am I wrong, would not be the first time, but its what I see in all aspects of life, here wouldn't be different and speaking honestly, this is the biggest issue I foresaw doing this, pettiness.

I am glad that you described that all as a "guess", because no one said anything like that.

Contributions of those who are gone? Of the OP's list of six, five are still here, participating in the AH as much as anyone else does. All three I suggested might be added are still here, participating in the AH as much as anyone else does.

My guess to why its devisive to some is they're the same people who think straight A students who bust their ass and sacrifice time and fun with friends for good grades and a good future should be denied recognition in an honor roll because oh, no, the lazy kids who half ass it don't get anything.
Let me more clear then on my point. On the previous site which I mentioned above with a program similar to your proposal, I was recognized, both by my fellow writers in their own HoF style, and by the "judges" as a strong contributer - from among a group of contributers much larger than this one, by the way. I was included in every way in the "straight A's". While it was extremely gratifying to be recognized, I would trade that fleeting feeling for a more cohesive community without all the drama of otherwise great writers wasting their time competing for a meaningless honor.

It is largely due to the dissolution of the community, which, to be fair, was due to a lot of things (not just the HoF type thing), that I no longer write there.

I barely contribute here either, honestly (to avoid drama). When I do write in AH it's because I care to build a connection, which is reward enough alone. I don't need accolades, and I doubt that anyone who writes in AH really does.

Speaking for myself, you couldn't possibly be more wrong.

I'm against this idea because, simply put, it's unnecessary. I truly do think this thread itself has fulfilled every purpose you could ever want in your "HoF." It has highlighted the contributions of those who are gone, it has fondly reminisced, and it has done so with minimal drama.

Well and good.

Why not leave it? Every competition Lit has ever had has descended into pettiness and backbiting, some of it for very good reason. Why would you believe this would be any different?

I value the AH. You can tell, because I post here and noplace else. I generally feel the same way about the others who post here. I value many of them and cordially ignore the rest. Pray, what (to me) is the necessity of a brand-new HoF, especially when it carries the possibility (probability, I'd say) of descending into spite and cliquishness?

Seems to me you need to make a case for this. In my mind, speaking respectfully and cordially, that case remains unmade.
I agree about how competition brings out the worst, and I think that's why author sponsored challenges work better, there's no prize or bragging rights its just a bunch of people signing on to tackle a common theme.

But I don't see this as a competition, and the prize is at the most a status thing? Look back at my first post, I would never be someone who would fit any of the criteria, but have serious respect for all I mentioned because it takes commitment to stick around and deal with the same endless questions over and over, and all have continued writing in their time here on top of it.

I fail to see this as a clique. Some of the people discussed aren't here anymore, some are deceased, a couple of them don't get along with each other-we all know who those two are-so the idea this has the potential to be another "Cabin" disaster doesn't exist.

I don't see too many people here seeing this as a negative, and some, even a couple who were a little harsh in their first post, in subsequent ones, acknowledged the misread the intent, and its meant that way.

But the road to hell is paved with....and everything when you have a group of people together has the potential to sour.

My simple case for this is that I think there are people here who push this forum, and publish stories here, and in doing so deal with arguments and trolling here, and we all know that spills into trolling their stories as well, yet they never hesitate to hold their ground and keep doing their thing and all of the crap they take is for free, zero, nada, bupkiss.

So why not give them something as a thank you? That's my case. There is nothing complicated here and no sinister agenda. This is not a coup, or supergroup and nothing changes here in the forum. Sorry, I don't see any of these peopl posting "Bow before me I am a member of the AH Hall of Fame!" seriously, I don't.

If that's not enough for you, that's fine, not going to get everyone on board. You get in what you put out and if people here see this ultimately as positive, that's what it will be. Don't want to be part of it, don't. But no need to keep popping up to be negative, you've expressed your views. They're noted by myself and anyone else reading.

Contributions of those who are gone? Of the OP's list of six, five are still here, participating in the AH as much as anyone else does. All three I suggested might be added are still here, participating in the AH as much as anyone else does.
My first list is based on people who are still here and still pushing, as are the three you mentioned. Then the topic came up about those that have been here before and for whatever reason left. That is where it gets tricky.

In spite of post to TX Rad about the line between being qualified and they were the first people in the neighborhood, I do agree we should look to the past for some of this, but just being here years ago isn't enough, what did they do? Like I said, if its a name the majority here don't know, that could be telling.

The current crowd I think is easy to figure out, but its not fair to just include the here and now.

this thread is for discussion, not for me to tell how it is.

But no need to keep popping up to be negative, you've expressed your views. They're noted by myself and anyone else reading.

I don't view the above statements as mutually inclusive.

But no matter. You do seem to understand my views. I still don't understand yours, but clearly that's my problem. Good luck in your quest, whatever its purpose.

I've received awards and accolades in various forms in my actual life, and they all seem to feel the same. Some are the result of writing contests (ugh), and some are peer-driven popularity contests (ugh) but all are silly exercises in self-adoration of worse, acclaim from people (editors) who have no business rating or rewarding writers.
The dinners are nice, though.
I like Melissa's idea of a sticky thread.

Something I thought of. When mentioning the people from way back and getting a reaction of who, that makes a case for something like this. If there were some type of HOF sticky, newcomers could go to it, they'd see these people listed and maybe click on their stories or posts. Its a way people can live on here in a way that's not limited to the memories of a handful of people here, and that would extend forward as time moves on and the prominent posters/authors of this era move on.

I think that's a decent argument for this.

But glossing through a lot of the replies it does seem like its not going to work because its being made way more complicated than it should be.

As people say, this is why we can't have nice things.

I've received awards and accolades in various forms in my actual life, and they all seem to feel the same. Some are the result of writing contests (ugh), and some are peer-driven popularity contests (ugh) but all are silly exercises in self-adoration of worse, acclaim from people (editors) who have no business rating or rewarding writers.
The dinners are nice, though.
I like Melissa's idea of a sticky thread.
Just speaking for myself, the issue with a sticky thread is if it open for everyone to post, we'll be getting people showing up to mention their favorite author...who never posts here, or people creating alts to put themselves there. That is where the problems people brought up from the past would rear their head.

Unless the sticky is controlled in someway, not open to everyone to post? But that's a lot to ask of the Mod, and if it came down to letting one person run it, that would be an epic battle of the egos.

Back