I think its time the Author's Hangout had...

AHHOF

Virgin
What's this handle stand for? Author's Hangout Hall of Fame and I think its time we created one and inducted our first group.
Let's discuss.
Am I an Alt? Yes. Why? I want to be unbiased, I want others to be unbiased in this, and even though I can't see why I'd land on anyone's ignore page, I do want to be sure everyone here gets to see this.

What do you get to know of me? Not much, been here twice, once in the early 2000's for a cup of tea in the forum and post a handful of stories. Returned a few years later and wouldn't consider myself a day to day regular, but I'd say most here have had some interaction with me over the years and have amassed a respectable amount of tales here, but would never be anyone who would fit the list of elites I hope we can agree to honor now and moving on.

Enough about me, let's get to you, and what all of you think of this idea which is to honor longtime members for the AH. This is not a strictly writing based. You do need to have stories here, but also be a strong and steady contributor to the forum as well, so when I get to where I suggest first ballot nominees its understood that its not solely based on just writing merit and accomplishments, those are important, but its also about being a member of this long running, and far to often rotating family we have here.

Before we get into qualifications, this thread is for discussion, not for me to tell how it is. I'm giving loose ideas, please add to, or discuss these and ideas of your own, and please, let's keep this civil, this is a good thing here to acknowledge the people who drive this vehicle of discussion, some of which is even occasionally about writing:p

To get the ball rolling we need some requirements. My initial thoughts.

10 years active on the forum. Active does not mean you have 75k posts and average 50 a day. Active means you're here often enough other regulars know you. I feel we need a number to whittle down nominees and I feel longevity should be a qualification. There are people here who will certainly be on future ballots in years to come when they hit that mark, so its our version of players having to be retired for however many years to go into their hall.

This first group I'd like to be larger than those to follow because it is the first time, and there are more eligible than there would be in the future once this rolls, so I'll suggest 10.

Be someone who doesn't just post here to play word games, or talk about music, or troll, or even just ask questions. These folks answer the questions, they give advice, they try to help you, they start threads and discussions, they're helpful motherfuckers, if you let them be. They came here, they asked, they learned whether through said advice or just the hard way, by trial and error. and have ridden the highs and endured the abuse of the lovely denizens of lit known as anymouse, now they pass all this hard earned knowledge on to you.

Writing accolades. Yes, forum driven, but this is a writing forum and the nominees need to lead by example. We all know the endless discussions about are scores and rankings meaningful or just popularity, gaming and a flawed system, but for the sake of this it is something to go by for the reason everyone here is in the same playing field, and better to let scores and contests, E's and H's matter rather than anything that is skewed by disparity such as some categories have bigger bases than others. This is something that can be refined through discussion.

Another line to be discussed is should they still be here? There are posters who were here long ago, who have left for whatever reason, but when here did leave their mark and legacy of sorts, so where is that line drawn?

Lastly, for this post, this is not to be personal. Like there are athletes who are unlikable in real life, but are all time greats in their field, there are some here viewed as trolls by some people because liking or not liking someone is subjective. This shouldn't be about not liking the persona, but is has this person helped drive the forum and offer advice and help, and someone who has some serious story cred? Then they should be judged by that alone.

Posthumous-I say yes to this not just for now, but cold reality means people here now, may not always be with us and if they were here prior to this, they should count.

What do they get? Admiration and bragging rites! If this goes over well in discussion I'll message Laurel to ask her about a sticky, maybe even each member gets to post on it with their bio a link to their work, and a brief list of accomplishments. If people come here, and see the link the members may get some extra eyes on their work.

Better yet, and up to Laurel....it would be super cool to have that sticky link on the home page or hub "Visit the new AH hall of fame?"

This has reached TLDR status as it is so I'll end here, and in a bit post the first few names of who I think should be in the first class of the AHHOF.

Quick suggestions for the class of 2022
1-Ogg-if you have to question this we need to question you.

2-TX Rad-The Dirty Old Man is like a grizzled vet of this place and is always here to help, or just make fun of you. His stories are pretty good too, even won some contests before his trolls put a stop to that.

3-Reject Reality AKA Darkincaid(something like that) and Les Lumens, but Reject Reality has been his main posting name for a long time and most of his big stories are in that name. This person seems to know how lit works better than lit and is AH tech support in addition to being a master of what story should go where.

4-SR71PLT-I know its KeithD now, but this is the original name from 2006 and the file with 1k stories. An everyday poster, grammar pro, contest winner, on the top 250 list and one of literotica's most prolific authors.

5 Lovecraft68-Longtime regular poster, starts a lot of discussions, top 5 author, stories on multiple top lists and contest winner.

6-Slyc Willie-This years posthumous nominee and for every reason you could name. Continued prayers for his family and his AH family lost a great one.

We can discuss these, and I left four spots open. I have ideas for them, but want to get a lot of feedback from others

I nominate _Lynn_ for the HOF list. I think she meets all of your standards and more.

edit: And I'll second your nominations. I wasn't around to meet Slyc Willie, but I've heard about him.

I nominate _Lynn_ for the HOF list. I think she meets all of your standards and more.

edit: And I'll second your nominations. I wasn't around to meet Slyc Willie, but I've heard about him.
Yes, Lynn, that's a bad oversight on my part.
I think Heyall is another name I neglected to mention

I'm not sure exactly what you are proposing. So, we make nominations, then what? Are you going to do a poll to pick among them? Or are you just going to enshrine the people with the most nominations?

This sounds like yet another way for a clique to pat itself on the back.

I'm sure I could be wrong. But I don't see the point.
Its not a clique, the HOF members are not a cohesive group with some kind of agenda, its to honor people who have helped keep this forum, and with their stories, Literotica, going strong, I see this simply as acknowledging people's efforts.

But I know AH history and that there have been cliques in the past, but those existed to troll, upvote, and manipulate. They were groups that formed themselves, this isn't what is going on here.

I'm not sure exactly what you are proposing. So, we make nominations, then what? Are you going to do a poll to pick among them? Or are you just going to enshrine the people with the most nominations?
Tell me. I mentioned this was up for discussion, this is my idea, but not mine if that makes sense.
My list was composed of a few people I felt no one could really dispute, but we can compile names and count votes and the like.
We can also expand to 15 or even 20 the first time around since this covers a greater expanse than future years will

What I will suggest to cut off what is seen in the annual contests is the only people allowed input are existing forum members. 8 new names with 2 posts to their name shows up all nominating someone then we've all been here long enough to know what that means.

I'd like to think this could be just taken for what it is and not turned into a jealousy fueled fiasco or conspiracy theory, but as I said to Voboy, I understand the reasons people may default to that.

Colleen Thomas; and long gone but absence regretted - MathGirl and the DurtGurl consortium; Perdita, BlackShaglan...

I'm struggling to see how this will work. If you weren't here ten years ago, you don't know the candidates, thus can't meaningfully vote or provide input/comment, call it what you will.

In any event, it will become controversial, real quick. There's at least one character I can think of whose name should be in the ring, but one mention and heads will explode.

Proceed with caution, I'd say.

I think this is a cool idea. Flattered to be mentioned, agree with the first list-I guess its tacky I agree with myself, but I didn't bring me into it-and the subsequent suggestions are all worthy IMO.

I think there was a mention of people from prior eras so to speak.

So what about someone like Redhairedandfriendly who hasn't been on here in years, but I think amassed 100k posts in her time here, many in the AH, and had a lot of good stories and that chain story thread?

In spirit of not making it personal. Tx Tall Tales, #2 author, lot of W's and toplist stories, but hasn't posted in the AH since 2017 and only has 939 posts from 2001-2017. Huge on story side-but even there nothing since 2017-but not here. Is the story success enough merit to be nominated when I don't think he'd count as someone who 'drove the forum?'

Again, I like the idea and get that it should be a good thing and I'll support it however I can, but not sure its going to get past the paranoia instilled by past events or from people bitter they may not yet qualify.

Good luck, I'll make some popcorn if anyone gets hungry.

I'm struggling to see how this will work. If you weren't here ten years ago, you don't know the candidates, thus can't meaningfully vote or provide input/comment, call it what you will.

In any event, it will become controversial, real quick. There's at least one character I can think of whose name should be in the ring, but one mention and heads will explode.

You can look them up. People like Collen Thomas that was just mentioned was before my second, and long running stay here, but the name is very familiar because of how often she's mention.

This concept is a Work in progress, that may or may not work. I've been kicking it around for some time, and not to be morbid, but wanted to bring it forward while our precious Ogg is still here and could see it. Not sure how much it would mean to him, but he should be the undisputed first person in and first person on any link or list this could come to.

There's three names that came to mind when it comes to exploding heads. One a shitstirring persona who did bring things to the forum and had some advice to give if you could weed through the act.

The other two, my two, not sure about yours, break my the shouldn't be personal because one was the ultimate cheater, the other a good writer, but performance alt, and partnered with the cheat on a very horrific thread that was before your time.

On that note, I can't believe I did not mention Selena Kitt I don't think she had the 10 years, but what she did when she was here, especially leading the way for lit members to start self publishing is a big accomplishment.

So what about someone like Redhairedandfriendly who hasn't been on here in years, but I think amassed 100k posts in her time here, many in the AH, and had a lot of good stories and that chain story thread?

In spirit of not making it personal. Tx Tall Tales, #2 author, lot of W's and toplist stories, but hasn't posted in the AH since 2017 and only has 939 posts from 2001-2017. Huge on story side-but even there nothing since 2017-but not here. Is the story success enough merit to be nominated when I don't think he'd count as someone who 'drove the forum?'
Both members you mention present the exact question I had. Of the two I would lean more to RHAF because of her prolific posting and popular threads. TTT to your point did not do much in the way of supporting the forum.

Colleen Thomas; and long gone but absence regretted - MathGirl and the DurtGurl consortium; Perdita, BlackShaglan...
Not sure what you mean by consortium, but if that means a group of one person with multiple pen names that makes it hard. Did they meet the longevity mark? Of course CT is a different story when it comes to that, she didn't leave here, she left this world. I tried to search for BlackShaglan and unless that's a typo of I'm not searching properly, they are not showing up in the author or member indexes. Did they leave the site?

Last edited:
Maybe you could create a whole new forum where the bestest of the bestest all hang out and congratulate each other and leave Author's Hangout alone.
Pardon me for being of the school of thought that people should be recognized for accomplishments.
As for leaving the forum alone, the ultimate idea here, with enough support and site blessing is to have this as a sticky.
This isn't the selection of a governing body, or forming some type of cohesive group, some of the people mention are no longer here a few are departed.

Its a Hall of Fame. Every category here has an all time hall of fame list for top stories. There top author lists, story lists, one for poetry, most prolific. This is no different. There's no ill intent here, it should be a fun idea.

But fun is lost upon those who prefer to find things to be upset about or take personally.

I asked for feedback and to make this a discussion, a civil one. Your constructive feedback of using a text acronym and 'the bestest of the bestest' has been noted.

As expected, a mixed bag, some are interested and suggested people who should be part of this Some are suspicious due to past stupidity and drama, a couple seem to want to see where it goes and one troll.

Logging off and will check back tomorrow night to see if there are more suggestions, thoughts, and actual discussion. If so, we see if we can get this to work.

If not, that's that. A shame people want to find the worst in everything.

EB, have you ever considered auditions for the role of 'Carnac the Magnificent'? (Me thinks there's a future for you there, if you so desire.) For the record, I'll see your unmentionable nomination, JBJ... (There. I said it... because he fits the criteria and I have this thing for exploding heads... ) Further, I'll raise you a Sam Scribble who would make absolutely NO one's head explode and he richly deserves recognition for his contributions. *the cat twitches her tail and exits thru the revolving door*

I'm of two minds about that. On the one hand, it would draw attention to deserving authors. On the other hand, if hardly anyone knows who they are, do they deserve to be in a "Hall of Fame"?

I think the impulse to recognize and honor fellow writers is admirable, but I am not sure this is the best way to go about it. Perhaps a stickied thread in which people could post homages to their favorites would accomplish the same thing, without the complications of making it competitive.

Back