Free association thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mrs Ogmore-Pritchard

Morgan - a Welsh pirate. Wrote the Pirate Code along with Bartolomeu. (Actually that is true, apparently.)
And retired as the Governor of Jamaica

Castle Ogmore:

1267797312ogmore-castle.jpg

Sir Henry Morgan was relieved of his post of Lieutenant-Governor of Jamaica for taking more bribes than was considered acceptable at the time. :D

Castle Ogmore:

1267797312ogmore-castle.jpg

Sir Henry Morgan was relieved of his post of Lieutenant-Governor of Jamaica for taking more bribes than was considered acceptable at the time. :D

I think the Foreign Office has always been a bit reluctant to specify exactly what level of bribery is acceptable. We should not be surprised if Sir Henry over-stepped his quota; after all, a chap has to make a living. :)

I think the Foreign Office has always been a bit reluctant to specify exactly what level of bribery is acceptable. We should not be surprised if Sir Henry over-stepped his quota; after all, a chap has to make a living. :)

'Lo Sugar :)

I was at Castle Ogmore only the other day but I couldn't get in to have afternoon tea in the neighbouring cottage as I had failed to realise that you must book even on a windy wild February Sunday :eek:. I would have thought your ancestral home could at least offer a cup of the old bohea, Ogg. (My pic of the stepping stones through one of the windows.) Bribery got me nowhere! ;) Should've used my booty to better purpose.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Castle Ogmore.jpg
    Castle Ogmore.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 52
Ah; piracy (not Somali), so:-

Mainbrace?
Ain't that something to do with the guiding of the ship ?

Ah; piracy (not Somali), so:-

Mainbrace?
Ain't that something to do with the guiding of the ship ?

Aargh! That be a rum suggestion, HP.

The Mainbrace was the rope holding up the Mainmast. Splicing it was a delicate and difficult operation that required many hours of labour. If the Mainbrace was damaged, the whole of a sailing ship's rigging was compromised and in danger of collapse. After the work of splicing was completed, the sailors were issued a tot of grog (watered Rum).

But the order "Splice the Mainbrace" was changed to just the issue of Rum, for significant occasions or celebrations.

For Grog see Vice Admiral Edward Vernon Old Grog

The Mainbrace was the rope holding up the Mainmast. Splicing it was a delicate and difficult operation that required many hours of labour. If the Mainbrace was damaged, the whole of a sailing ship's rigging was compromised and in danger of collapse. After the work of splicing was completed, the sailors were issued a tot of grog (watered Rum).

But the order "Splice the Mainbrace" was changed to just the issue of Rum, for significant occasions or celebrations.

For Grog see Vice Admiral Edward Vernon Old Grog

Yo, ho, ho and a bottle of rum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back