Free Association thread 6

Never seen that one Tio.
Not that Poetry has ever been my thing; certainly neither the "declamatory" style or 'blank' verse.

But I rather like A A Milne:

Of all the Knights in Appledore
The wisest was Sir Thomas Tom.
He multiplied as far as four,
And knew what nine was taken from
To make eleven. He could write
A letter to another Knight.

When I was at school, we had an Eng Lit exam.
The question was "discuss a poem you have recently learnt".

Well, the boring cr@p we'd been given had gone in and out real quick, but Milne was in my mind, so I answered the question and discussed "The knight who's armour didn't squeak".

I got Zero marks, but I was told by my English teacher that had that Milne been the one, I'd have aced it.

PS. I think I've got the hang of the compression socks now. :)

Great about the socks, HP; keep your circulation flowing.

There's a number of sung versions of "The Song of Wandering Aengus," including ones by Donovan Leitch and by Judy Collins. Different melodies, but both are good. You can find them on YouTube if you're interested.

There's a number of sung versions of "The Song of Wandering Aengus," including ones by Donovan Leitch and by Judy Collins. Different melodies, but both are good.

You mention Donovan Leitch and my brain starts singing:

In the chilly hours and minutes
Of uncertainty, I want to be
In the warm hold of your loving mind.

:)

Gosh that brings back a few memories.
"Try & catch the wind"

And then I was at UCL for a conference a couple of years ago. I was feeling a bit peckish around dinner time, so I wandered over to Tottenham Court Road from my hotel on Gower Street, and turned down a side street.
A few steps in, I caught the distinctive aroma of hashish, and found an interesting place to eat. A "Hawaiian" Burger Shack, if you will, with servers all in Hawaiian print tropical garb and palm fronds and tikis all around. As I sat by the front windw and ate my somewhat psychedelic burger, I espied the street name plate on a corner building. "Goodge Street," it said, and a laugh of realization flowed from my surprised mouth. As a native from over the pond, I had always thought Donovan's "Sunny Goodge Street" referred to a mythical place. But here it was, sans violent hash smokers, but nearly as psychedelic.

As a native from over the pond, I had always thought Donovan's "Sunny Goodge Street" referred to a mythical place. But here it was, sans violent hash smokers, but nearly as psychedelic.

There are several references to very real streets in some songs (Baker St ?)

(Played with a hard reed , I believe)

Last edited:
The Knowledge

Tits with wings cluttering up Yeat's bird table
No room for his berry caught little silver trout
stiffing now as he strokes the fire.
Alas, a lass at his merry door!
Apple blossom in her hair,
Yet old man Ogg would drive her off,
Begone you apple crested harpy!
Too many bare breasted lasses 'bout these days, he claims.
Her tits thus fly, with no need of wings
in to the arms of the Knights in Appledore,
brave men who have never seen a flying titty
too many for their comfort!

As the dark steps aside with the hopes we confide
And never believes that the dreams we conceived
Would ever not, ever come true

Last edited:
Back