Free Association Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or rather "I got told the other night. . . ."
Usually by a bloke you've never met, in the Pub.

Every problem in the world would have already been solved if only those guys that always have the perfect solutions would just get out of the bars and coffee shops they spend all their free time in. :)

Every problem in the world would have already been solved if only those guys that always have the perfect solutions would just get out of the bars and coffee shops they spend all their free time in. :)

An excellent point.
What to do, close the Bars & Coffee shops, or put the blokes into Parliament.?

I remember three situations involving local public houses:

1. The pub's football team couldn't play at home because the pitch frequently flooded. The local pundits said 'They need a proper drainage system'. One thing led to another and the next Spring the pub's regulars laid drainage pipes under the pitch - at no cost in materials and labour.

2. A local pub was close to three food takeaway outlets. When the wind was from the North, used takeaway containers would blow in everytime the main door was opened. "We need to do something," one blowhard said. His mates agreed with him.

"So what are you going to do," the barmaid said. "or are you just going to sit there and moan?".

They persuaded the takeaway outlets to sponsor some litterbins, bought some litter pickers themselves and refused entry to any regular who hadn't collected any litter in the previous week. They harassed any takeaway customer who was seen to drop litter. The area around that public house is still litter free a decade after they first acted.

3. The village only had one public house. One of the parish councillors dropped in after a meeting looking unhappy.

"What's up, Fred?" he was asked.

"The parish's lawn mower has bust and we've got no money to replace it until next financial year."

The regulars, mainly farmers, arranged a rota for cutting the Parish's grassed areas for the rest of the year. One of them managed to repair the Parish's lawn mower but it had failed because it wasn't really powerful enough to do more than the smaller grassed areas. Another regular found an old (1940s) selfpropelled lawnmower in his barn, renovated it, and donated it to the Parish. The following year the Parish Council had a small surplus of cash because all the grass was being cut at no cost, better and more frequently than they had managed before.

You know, I've also noted this effect.
I think the guvmnt should do something about it :)

Reminds me of a time – back in the ‘90s I think – when the head teacher of a North London school was stabbed – he may even have been killed – while trying to break up a fight just outside the school’s gates. That night, on the TV news, a reporter asked one of the school’s pupils for a comment.

The kid – who looked to be about eight or nine – said: ‘It’s terrible. The government should do something about it.’

Out of the mouths of babes.

Reminds me of a time – back in the ‘90s I think – when the head teacher of a North London school was stabbed – he may even have been killed – while trying to break up a fight just outside the school’s gates. That night, on the TV news, a reporter asked one of the school’s pupils for a comment.

The kid – who looked to be about eight or nine – said: ‘It’s terrible. The government should do something about it.’

Out of the mouths of babes.

I remember that murder [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Philip_Lawrence ]
I noticed it was kept fairly quiet soon thereafter.
But it said a lot about the stupidity of that Reporter not using some Brains.

Very.
There were sever strident calls for the Death Penalty; despite the youth's age.

12 or 15 years ago we had two boys locally, 11 and 12, murder their father. During the first press conference after their arrest, a reporter asked the county prosecutor if he would be seeking the death penalty.

The prosecutor stood totally still for a moment just staring at this reporter and finally calmly replied: "Even ignoring that we are only one day into the investigation, what on God's green earth would make you think that is even a consideration?"

The sad thing is that set off a week-long public discussion over "How young can we kill 'em?" :rolleyes:

The sad thing is that set off a week-long public discussion over "How young can we kill 'em?" :rolleyes:

Let me guess: The flames of discussion were energetically fanned by newspapers, and radio and TV stations, all trying to sell advertising?

Let me guess: The flames of discussion were energetically fanned by newspapers, and radio and TV stations, all trying to sell advertising?

More likely that the newspapers, radio stations and tv stations were fanned by the outrage of interest groups and opinionated individuals, all trying to impose their views on everyone else.

More likely that the newspapers, radio stations and tv stations were fanned by the outrage of interest groups and opinionated individuals, all trying to impose their views on everyone else.

You may be right, Tio.

I think it was Paul Krugman who suggested that, whenever an opinionated individual begins with 'Everybody knows ...', it's usually a good idea to ask who is included in 'everybody'.

You may be right, Tio.

I think it was Paul Krugman who suggested that, whenever an opinionated individual begins with 'Everybody knows ...', it's usually a good idea to ask who is included in 'everybody'.

I think the response question would rather be "Who told them?"

You may be right, Tio.

I think the response question would rather be "Who told them?"

Cohen's song was used for the iconic strip tease in Atom Egoyan's "Exotica:"

Everybody Knows

Here's the whole song, if you want to hear it:

Everybody Knows

Warning - Brexit joke.

The House of Commons roof was leaking yesterday, suspending the session.

At the same time all the bars (there are many) ran out of beer because their beer pumps wouldn't work.

Parliament has been deferring decisions on the renovation of the ancient Palace of Westminster because they can't agree on the way forward, just like Brexit.

Is someone sending them a message?

The House of Commons roof was leaking yesterday, suspending the session.

At the same time all the bars (there are many) ran out of beer because their beer pumps wouldn't work.

Parliament has been deferring decisions on the renovation of the ancient Palace of Westminster because they can't agree on the way forward, just like Brexit.

Is someone sending them a message?

Westminster's been all wet for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back