Escape of the clone. (closed for slut in white and myself)

"You keep saying things like that and you'll be already well on your way. I missed being intimate with you."

Alex sketched a wistful smile. He needed this, needed HER to quiet his mind. The day had started out so well with the doctor announcing that Alex again was a danger to women. Then the conference, an event Brent and Alex had prepared for for days. And then the evil tidings of the siberian compound, HIS compound, burning to the ground. Despite Abby's assurances that he was not to blame, Alex was troubled and ridden with guilt.

And so, when Abby with a smile invited him to make her scream in passion again, he set to it with a fervour born from sadness and rage. He was firm but gentle as he grabbed her shoulders and guided her under him while kissing her. He needed to be on top of things, figuratively and literally. He felt as if he needed to make love fervently to make up for all the bad things set in motion by his escape, as if the pain he felt could be smothered by this physical act.

He kissed her as he held her hands, softly pinning them to the mattress. Not letting go, he lifted his head and told her earnestly: "Tonight I want to wear us both out, Abby. I want us to lose count, I want us to be so exhausted that we fall asleep joined together." And still softly pinning her hands to the mattress, he attacked the crooks of her neck and her earlobes with his mouth, nibbling, licking and sucking the sensitive spots. He wanted to feel her squirm with lust and passion. He needed to know that he did something good to at least one person.

Abby was torn. On the one hand, the way she felt when Alex rolled over atop her and pinned her hands to the bed was absolutely incredible - the raw, primal desire for her that she felt practically radiating off of him was igniting her own passion in a way she hadn't felt... well, ever. Her experiences with Alex in the cabin had been beautiful and incredible in their own way, but it wasn't like this - those had been soft, uncertain, exploratory. There was something different here, something that was either the result of his new-found confidence or perhaps simply a lack of concern for the appropriateness of his behaviour in the face of his anxiety and guilty. More likely, it was both.

And that was the core of the problem - a much as Abby was enjoying the way he licked and nipped and her sensitive skin, as much as he made her gasp and moan and squirm under him, she knew this was at least in part the result of his troubled emotions. And she wasn't sure whether this would make him feel better or worse, in the end. "Alex," she choked out, barely able to convince herself to make him stop. "Alex, wait."

Once he had paused and was looking down at her, she managed to take a deep breath to clear her mind. "Are you sure you're alright?" In the end, it was up to him to decide whether this was the best way to handle his feelings right now - she wasn't about to tell him what to do. But she knew this was the first time he'd suffered this kind of emotional distress in the context of the real world, too, and she wanted to make sure he was certain.

She wiggled her hand out of his grasp for a moment so she could reach up to caress his cheek, her thumb gliding over his cheekbone in an affectionate gesture. "I love you, Alex. More than anything. Whatever you need, I'm here, okay?" And then, in a quick symbol to let him know that, if love-making really was what he needed right now, she was willing, she put her hand back down on the mattress where it was before and waited with a soft smile to see if he would take her wrist again.

"Are you sure you're alright?"

He was far from okay. His mind was going a mile a minute with gnawing doubt and self recriminations. On the one hand, this wouldn't have happened if he hadn't escaped. On the other hand, he hadn't known any better when he escaped. He hadn't in fact asked to be cloned by a firm that so blatantly broke basic human rights and laws. And yet.

"I'm not allright," he confessed to her in a low voice. "My mind is going back and forth like a ping-pong game. I want it to stop. I need to feel something good tonight, Abby. I want my mind to shut up so I can reset and think clearly. I need to be exhausted for that. And I love you and I want you, Abby. It's been so long."

When she wiggled free of his hand his heart sank. He was convinced she was mad at him for using her like this. But he DID love her! Maybe if he-

Her gentle caress and her words brought him a kind of sad joy he hadn't experienced before. "I love you, Alex. More than anything. Whatever you need, I'm here, okay?" And he could only smile as she voluntarily placed her hand back where he'd pinned it down. It was the best kind of trust she could show him right now. He felt a surge of gratitude wash over him as he looked down at Abby. He was teetering between crying or laughing with gratitude. In the end, he pinned her hands a little firmer and gave her a new smoldering kiss, making his body flush and his penis twitch between her legs.

"I thought I couldn't love you more than I already did," he said as he came up for air. Then he started kissing his way down her body again, holding her hands and pulling them down alongside her as he caressed her skin with his lips and tongue.

Holding her hands still, he looked at her vagina. He wanted to have her orgasm without him using his hands this time. He started teasing her by licking and kissing the insides of her thighs and occasionally blowing on her clitoris, making her twitch and gyrate. But after a couple of minutes he couldn't contain himself. He started slowly licking her lips and flicking her little nub. Slowly he increased the pace, holding her hands still.

He was prepared to let her go if she made an effort to escape or if she told him "let go", but he found the feeling of control over her highly arousing. So much so that he gave her oral with an eagerness he hadn't felt before.

"I thought I couldn't love you more than I already did."

Abby smiled, lifting her face eagerly to his so she could kiss him again, which was more difficult than she expected, given that he had her hands pinned. She found she liked it, that modicum of control that he was taking - and that she was willingly giving - as he kissed his way down her body.

"Alex," she breathed, her voice growing tight with desire while he teased her. Her hips were moving and she was struggling to move so that she could push her slit against his mouth, eager to feel that direct contact, eager to overcome the way he was teasing her. And yet, the fact that she couldn't ended up just arousing her further, so that she gave a soft cry of relief once his tongue finally met her opening and her clit. "Oh, Alex, yes, please..." Her hips rolled against his mouth while he pleasured her with abandon, and soon, she was rising up to her edge, tossing her head from side to side. "Alex, Alex, I'm -!"

She sucked in a ragged gasp, stars exploding before her eyes, hips bucking against his tongue as she came for him. "Oh god, yes! Oh Alex!" She rode out her orgasm until she was simply left as a twitching puddle of nerves on his bed, panting and gasping for breath. Her hands were still pinned to her sides and she didn't want to escape his hold, so she simply turned them over in his grip until she could grasp at his wrists with her fingers and tug upwards.

"Come here," she whispered, her voice thick and sultry. "I want to kiss you."

And like that, a simple turn of her hand, she had equal control as she pulled him up. Alex looked down on her heaving flushed chest and face. A small smile escaped him as he thought to himself: "I did that. I made her happy." He'd found that he became aroused beyond measure when he could make her come like that. He knew she needed a few minutes after powerful orgasms because she, like him, was incredibly sensitive right after a climax. And so Alex let go of her hands because he knew she liked to hug, kiss, and cuddle.

They embraced each other and melted in each other's arms as they locked their lips and let their tongues play tag as they darted in and out of each other's mouths. She was warm and soft to the touch and just a little slick from a fine layer of post-orgasmic sweat. They rolled around on the bed, kissing and caressing each other. By now, Alex felt hypercharged with horniness. That she'd submitted to him like she did was new and exciting to him and he wanted more.

Alex had learned to read Abby to some extent as had she with him. When, after a few minutes, she started grinding against him as her hands got friskier, he knew she was ready for more. He got up on his knees and positioned himself between her legs. He grabbed a pillow and placed it under her butt to elevate her and to get easier access to her moist and ready hole. He slid inside her without any effort, then stopped. He didn't want to come right away, so he held her to stop her from moving against him. He experienced what he'd come to know as a dry almost-orgasm as he fought for control of himself, denying her the opportunity to make him come right away.

When the dry orgasm had passed and his penis was no longer overly sensitive, he risked moving again. Leaning in over Abby, he gently but firmly took hold of both her hands in his left hand and placed them above her head. The movement stretched her breasts deliciously, and he spent a minute savouring and teasing her nipples before he leaned in and kissed her full on her mouth. Then, and only then did he begin to move in and out of her, gasping as he felt her slippery warm vaginal walls tickle his shaft.

He set to the delightful task of fucking her, knowing full well that he wouldn't last long. But he'd been denied sex for so long that he knew that he'd be ready for more in record time. He continued teasing her by setting a deliberately slow pace to begin with. Only after she'd made something resembling a frustrated grunt did he explode into vigorous action, pumping into her like a well-oiled piston. It resembled a full out assault more than anything as he plowed in and out of her like a man posessed, still holding her hands above her head.

And then he all but exploded inside her with a roar. But this time he didn't arch his back all spent like he'd used to do back at the cabin. No, he kept right on piling into Abby, his erection not slacking off even after he'd spent what felt like a gallon of semen inside her. He was indeed ready again in record time!

When Alex smiled at her after her orgasm, Abby's heart leaped into her chest. She loved that she could make him happy like that, that she was able to help him overcome the troubles plaguing him. She kissed him with a fierce love and passion which really only served to stoke the fire of lust inside her further, and she was ready for him again quite quickly.

Alex seemed to be able to sense it, because almost as soon as she realized she was ready to continue their lovemaking, he rolled them over so that he was kneeling between her legs, and pushed a pillow under her bottom to give him better access to her body. And then, in a motion he'd never taken before, he grabbed both of her small wrists in one large hand and pinned them above her head. She gave an immediate aroused-sounding little whimper, her body rolling against his in response. She hadn't expected to like this touch of power-play in bed, but she was smiling and her gaze was alight with need for him. She bit her lip, looking up at him with wide, trusting eyes, eager for whatever he planned to do next.

He slipped into her and her body arched under him, moaning with little regard for whether or not others might be able to hear her. The room was quite private and well sound-proofed, but she felt like she might have been giving the sound-proofing a run for its money, at least. She felt him twitching and gasping and thought he might be ready to climax already, so she purposely clamped her velvety walls down around his length, seeking his pleasure. But he denied her, resisting and undergoing a dry orgasm instead. She watched, wide-eyed as he rode it out. That was new. She licked her lips, about to tell him how hot it had been to watch, but before she could, he started moving, thrusting into her in slow, methodical movements.

She tried to respond, tried to thrust her hips back up against his, to encourage him to go faster and harder, but she couldn't - not with the way her hands were pinned above her head. And, in a flash of intuition, she realized he was doing it on purpose, teasing her with the slow thrusts. Once she realized there was nothing she could do and that she was entirely at his mercy, she threw her head back, groaning in both frustration and arousal. But, it seemed, that was what Alex needed to hear, because he responded with a moan of his own and started thrusting hard and fast, drawing a cry of pleasured surprise from her throat at the first thrust. She wrapped her legs around his hips, each breath some kind of moaned praise or pleading for him to go harder and faster, until he was pistoning in and out of her so hard that she was certain she would be walking funny tomorrow.

She felt it, again, the way his shaft grew slightly and twitched inside her in the moments before his orgasm. She pulled hard on his hips, seeking to burying him into her as deeply as possible, and released her own tension as she felt the first splashes of his seed filling her. She came alongside him, her orgasm extending his and his, in turn, extending hers.

She expected him to stop. She was coming down, and she could no longer feel new, hot seed filling her further, but Alex simply kept plowing into her. She was giving a soft, strangled cry of overwhelming pleasure with each thrust, now, and soon she realized that he wasn't going to stop. He hadn't even gotten softer. He was simply going to keep going. Abby's hips kept jerking against his, bucking of their own accord as powerful orgasmic aftershocks kept rushing through her body. It was almost too much - almost - but it felt better than anything she could ever have imagined.

Alex had worked himself into a frenzied haze of horniness and lust. He slammed into Abby with a speed and force he hadn't dared use on her before. But he'd underestimated her in so many ways, it seemed. She was tough. She could take it. And she would tell him 'stop' if he hurt her. More importantly, he would listen.

She writhed and bucked beneath him now like a bag of snakes, and it became increasingly difficult to control the pace and rhythm until he finally popped out of her, making them both exclaim in frustration. Sweat dripping from his nose now and exceedingly warm and flustered, he leaned down and all but swallowed her as he kissed her greedily. He needed to control this. He needed to be allowed to exhaust himself with lovemaking.

He sat up on his knees and released her hands before grabbing her hips and unceremoniously flipping her over on her stomach. She lay between his legs as he sat astride her. He reached for her arms again and again took hold of them, gently but firmly. He bent her forearms in on each other so they lay on top of each other across her back. Pinning them with his left hand and still sitting astride her, he used his right hand to guide himself inside her vagina again. Lying like she did with her legs together, it was a much tighter fit for him, but well worth it when he patiently managed to slither inside her again. The friction was increased, but she was still slick inside with their combined fluids.

He gave a few tentative thrusts to gauge whether or not this was uncomfortable for her. And then he started thrusting more vigorously, the increased pressure on his shaft making him dizzy with delight. He wouldn't last long now.

Abby could barely tell which way was up when Alex flipped her over. All she knew was the heat of him behind her, her arms pinned firmly but gently against her back, the softness of her bed pressing against the front of her body, and the strange and then suddenly pleasurable feeling of Alex's length pressing into her between her closed legs.

"Oh!" She pushed her bottom up against his hips in an attempt to drive him deeper into her and give him a better angle for thrusting into her. It seemed, from the way he was moving and groaning, that he really didn't need her help. From the sounds he was making, it seemed he was getting close - which was good, because the combined roughness and passion was driving Abby up to another orgasm of her own and she feared she might actually black out from the power of it. In fact, as she approached the edge, she nearly panicked and told him to stop and it was only the fact that she couldn't quite make her voice work that prevented it.

Instead, she felt Alex's whole body go tense as his orgasm erupted inside her, and her own climax hit its height right on his heels. She buried her face into the pillow to muffle the cries of overwhelming pleasure that issued from her, only to fade out a moment later as her bucking body went abruptly slack. The sensation was simply too much - she did, as feared, black out entirely. Her body still gave it's purely physical response to the gushing pleasure she felt - the velvet walls around his length still clamping down with sweet force, her hips still jerking as each wave of her orgasm crashed through her - but beyond that, nothing.

All but bouncing off of Abby's pert ass, Alex was lost in a haze of raw lust, lust that built up in him until it felt as he was about to explode. He got lost in the horniness and the motion as he drove towards his most intense orgasm ever. A tickling sensation spread from his groin and traveled up his spine and his cock simultaneously. He registered Abby's moans and screams as he plunged into her wet cave and a distant detached part of his brain chimed in: I hope I'm not hurting her.

And then the tingling exploded inside his head and his cock and he came with a roar as he blacked out, his whole body tight like a steel wire as he expended himself inside her. The sensation was so great that it bordered on painful as he felt his dick twitch painfully inside her. He made a sound somewhere between a lustful moan and a pained whimper as he slowly pulled out of her still shaking form and lay down beside her.

He was tired in body and mind now, but the evil thoughts had left him. He cuddled up to Abby and gently held her and swept her sweat-streaked hair away from her face as he gently kissed her warm and soft skin. She shook and moaned and Alex felt a surge of pride from knowing that he had helped her achieve this.

They both lay there, breathing heavily as they came down from their orgasmic highs. Talking seemed superfluous now, so he simply held her tight and draped a blanket over them both as they cooled off and their pulses and breaths slowed. At some point they ended up face to face, kissing and caressing each other. And then, ever so slowly, Alex grew drowsy and his eyelids became droopy and heavy. Before he drifted off to sleep he managed to plant a kiss on her nose as he whispered: "I love you, Abby. Thank you."

And then he fell asleep, his forehead resting on hers.

She was only out for a moment, but it was long enough to be faintly confused when her consciousness drifted back and she realized that she was on her side, somehow, and that Alex had ended up beside instead of on top of her.

Every brush of his skin against hers sent shocks of sensation through her body powerful enough that she started shuddering and moaning. It was nearly too much, but, after a little while (and a lot of kissing) she calmed down enough that her breathing evened out and they were able to finally rest.

He whispered his love for her, making her smile, and she answered, "I love you, too, Alex." And with that, she fell asleep next to him.

The following morning, she woke feeling more rested than she had in weeks. Apparently, she'd grown so used to being intimate with him that her body had reacted worse than she thought to having to sleep separately and otherwise avoid intimacy. She stretched and smiled and cuddled close to him, happy to wait until he woke on his own.

Once he did, she pressed a quick kiss to his forehead, running her fingers through his hair. "I've been thinking," she whispered, biting her lip nervously. "I was wondering if maybe you wanted to come visit my parents. I mean, with everything that happened yesterday, the press is going to be all over you. I thought maybe it might be a good idea to duck out of the limelight for a while. Maybe take a road trip to go visit my parents while we wait for things to calm down..."

Sleep was deep, dark, and safe and Alex awoke like he'd been sleeping, smiling. He was a bit stiff and sore after last night's exertions, but he'd cleared his head of any doubt. None of it was his fault. He hadn't asked to be cloned. He couldn't have known what would happen.

Opening his eyes, and there was Abby. She looked radiant with her drowsy smile and tousled hair. He returned her quick kiss with interest, wanting to draw her into another session of lovemaking. But something was on her mind.

"I've been thinking. I was wondering if maybe you wanted to come visit my parents. I mean, with everything that happened yesterday, the press is going to be all over you. I thought maybe it might be a good idea to duck out of the limelight for a while. Maybe take a road trip to go visit my parents while we wait for things to calm down..."

Alex took to the idea at once. A roadtrip! He'd seen a few movies where the main characters went on roadtrips. It always resulted in either high adventure or self discovery. Alex thought that the scenery along the way alone would be worth it. But...

"I'd love to! I've wanted to meet your parents ever since you told me about them! But how far is it? Unless you can teach me very quickly how to do it, you'd be driving all the way. Won't that be tiresome? Is it far?"

His morning horniness was forgotten as he eagerly talked about Abby's new idea.

Truthfully, Abby hadn't considered that she might need to drive the whole way, but the thought really didn't bother her that much. She was far more excited about the idea of taking Alex out to show him the world. He'd seen much already, but it was mostly from the context of a hospital bed. He hadn't really seen life the way people usually live it. She'd never taken him out to eat anywhere. They'd never walked down the sidewalk of a small town together. She wanted to take him shopping and she wanted to take him to the movies, and all of the other things people did with their free time.

"Well, if you want to learn to drive before we go, we can get you a learner's permit," she answered, grinning. "That's not hard. Then we can use the trip as an excuse to teach you! But if you don't want to learn so quickly, I really don't mind doing all the driving. We'll probably have to do a little less driving each day, but I'm okay with that, if you are."

They spoke a little more about the trip, then Abby called her parents to tell them what was going on. She had told them as much as she was allowed to, and they knew - sort of - who and what Alex was, but now that the press conference was over, she could tell them everything else. And she wanted to ask them about coming to visit. They were over the moon with excitement about it.

All that was left was to speak to Alex's doctor. He suggested that, regardless of whether or not they wanted to teach Alex to drive, he severely limit his time spent behind the wheel for the next little while - he was recovering nicely, but there would still likely be some pain if he strained his shoulder at all while driving for an extended amount of time. But beyond that, he gave the excited couple the green light to go whenever they desired.

Luckily for Abby, her job shut down around the Christmas holidays for two weeks, which meant that she had time off coming up anyway. "We should be able to arrive at my parents' place a few days before Christmas," she explained, bubbling with excitement. "I hope you don't mind, my mom is absolutely going to shower you with gifts."

"Well, if you want to learn to drive before we go, we can get you a learner's permit. That's not hard. Then we can use the trip as an excuse to teach you! But if you don't want to learn so quickly, I really don't mind doing all the driving. We'll probably have to do a little less driving each day, but I'm okay with that, if you are."

"I want to learn! I'm tired of being cooped up, recuperating, with everyone feeling sorry for me. I want to feel useful and I want to learn real skills. Please please please, let's get me a learner's permit!" There was no anger in his voice as he said this, only frustration and an eagerness to move on and live a full life.

While Abby was on the phone with her parents Alex texted Brent about their latest plan. He stole a glance at Abby from time to time, enjoying the way she looked and acted when she talked with her parents. There was humor, seriousness, irritation, annoyance ... a wealth of emotions, all infused with a love different from what she and Alex shared but no less stronger. Then Brent called.

As expected, reactions to the breaking news of the clones' status had had a divisive effect on people. Politicians and clerics had spoken out for and against cloning and clones, but the general feeling was that people were angry about being lied to and that the clones should be released. And there was an angry uproar at the events in Siberia. It seemed it was the only compound to carry out CB's contingency plan of exterminating evidence. After christmas, Freddie wanted both Alex and Abby to tour North America and Europe to promote the book. Alex replied that he'd have to ask Abby about that but that he at least wanted to do it. Almost as an afterthought, Brent informed Alex that he'd established a spending account for him and that he would be by later with his debit card and PIN-code. Alex tried protesting but Brent wouldn't hear of it. As an afterthought, Brent almost timidly asked if Alex and Abby would like to celebrate New Year's eve with Brent, Jasmine, and Lilah. Alex replied he'd take it up with Abby.

After he hung up he watched Abby talk with her parents, making him giggle as she good-naturedly rolled her eyes and mimicked her mother talking with a smile. She hung up and Alex was about to ask her about New Year's in New Orleans and the book tour when the doctor showed up. After the good news, before Alex could say anything, Abby spoke: "We should be able to arrive at my parents' place a few days before Christmas. I hope you don't mind, my mom is absolutely going to shower you with gifts."

Alex smiled, a bit bashful but happy by the love everyone seemed to have for him. "Actually, there are two things I need to-" he began. But he was cut short by a loud knock on the door. It was Brent. He presented the debit card to Alex and showed him how to check in on his account via the web. When Alex saw the balance, he spluttered and gasped. It was seven figures. "Brent, this is too much! You can't- not after all you've already done for me! No!" Alex was on the verge of tears now. Brent looked at Alex calmly. "Alex," he replied, "you've got it all backwards. THIS isn't charity on my part, this is me paying you for damages you've had to endure. You've been abused, pursued, almost died from cold, and taken a bullet. A couple of million dollars doesn't begin to say how sorry I am for what you've been through. Take it in good conscience, Alex. It's only money. Thanks to some shrewd investments on my mother's part we have enough to pay you and support you until you can build your own career. We look after our own, Alex. Never forget that."

Brent turned to Abby. "Did he ask you about New Year's and the book tour yet, Abby?"

Abby began to laugh the moment Alex practically exploded with excitement over the idea of getting his learner's permit. "Yes, of course, love! If that's what you want, we can get it for you this week!"

She had fun making faces at Alex while she was on the phone with her family, at least until Alex's own phone rang - Brent, almost certainly. There just weren't enough other people who had Alex's number for it to be most anyone else. Lilah, perhaps, but that was it. Besides, Abby had noticed that Alex spoke differently when he was talking to Alex or Lilah. The thought made her grin - when Alex was speaking with Lilah, there was something almost deferential in his tone. Like the way any man would speak when talking to a mother he loved.

Once she was off the phone, Alex tried to speak with her about something, but Brent arrived, then, and they were utterly distracted by the frankly ridiculous amount of money that he offered Alex. Abby had to fight with herself not to argue. She was used to stepping in for Alex in these sorts of situations because it was only recently that he'd learned enough about the world to know for himself that the money Brent was giving him was extraordinary and that most people would consider it to be too much. But Alex responded on his own, able to express himself in a way he hadn't been able to even a few months ago. And, distracted from the conversation at hand, she found herself smiling dreamily at him as she considered how far he'd come in such a short amount of time.

She was startled out of her revere by Brent's question, though, and she shook her head. "No, I'm sorry. I suspect that's what he was trying to ask when you came in." She grinned apologetically. "My mom talks a lot. I was on the phone almost until you arrived."

So, with that, Brent explained the book tour that Freddie had planned for them. Abby considered it, then explained that she'd need to speak with her boss about taking a leave of absence while the tour took place, but that she was willing to do so. "And I think spending New Years with your family is a wonderful idea!" she added with a grin. "We'll make sure to come back on time to join you for the new year."

Brent practically beamed when Abby accepted the invitation, as did Alex. Alex was so overjoyed that he whisked Abby off her feet and held her in a bearhug as he twirled around while shouting "YAAAY!" Brent could only look on with a sad wistful smile. Alex caught the look on Brent's face. "Is something wrong, Brent?" he asked. Brent just shook his head. "I just, I wish I had what you guys have," he said. Alex looked at him, puzzled. Brent was rich, famous, and handsome. He should, as far as Alex understood these things, have the pick of the litter with women. Alex said as much.

Brent explained: "There are more than enough women who want to be with Brent Matthews. They fall in love with my carefully orchestrated image and my characters. When they get to know me they get confused. Worse are the ones wanting to be with me for my wealth and for the prestige of being my girlfriend." Brent looked sad. Alex, for the first time, felt that he was the luckier man. He walked up to Brent and embraced him, saying: "She's out there, brother. Some day you'll meet a girl like Abby."

Brent excused himself after a while, and Alex and Abby got busy packing. Alex looked affectionately at Abby while she busied herself making sure she'd remembered everything. It reminded him a little bit of their departure from the cabin. Just watching her fret, seemingly lost in her own world, filled him with a sense of peace and love, and an affectionate smile graced his face. And when she looked up to see him watching her, he ambled over and embraced and kissed her, taking in her scent and finding comfort in feeling her petite body against his. "I'm looking forward to being just the two of us again, if only for the trip," he told her.

They caught a cab into the small californian town they'd stayed in for the last couple of months, and they got hold of a learner's permit for Alex from the local sheriff's office. Next stop was the car rental where they splurged and rented a large SUV. Finally they stopped by a convenience store to stock up on snacks and drinks for the trip. All the while, Alex was aware of people stopping and gawking at him and Abby. It was something he'd have to get used to. It wasn't long before he was approached by two young teenaged girls, asking to take their pictures with him. Alex calmly obliged but explained that he was Brent's clone. The girls' reaction was interesting. They looked serious all of a sudden as they conveyed their condolences to Alex for his loss of his friends. They still asked to have their picture taken with him, though.

When they were through shopping, they sat in the big car with the big "L" on the rear end. Alex looked at Abby expectantly. "So you turn the key and pull that stick thingy back and forth. Then what? By the way, where does your parents live?"

Abby was feeling overjoyed at the prospect of having a trip with Alex, and simply at just how very happy he seemed. He kissed and touched her often while they packed, and she found herself returning those little affectionate gestures with ones of her own - coming up behind him to wrap her arms around his waist, stealing little kisses whenever she walked by, and, once, grasping friskily at his bottom while he was busy putting his things in a suitcase.

The afternoon was spent preparing for the trip - getting Alex his permit, getting their hands on a car, and all of those other little things that needed to be done. When they finally got in, however, Abby realized there was much more to teach Alex than she had expected. Most people grew up around cars, and so they knew - more or less - how to drive even before they got into the driver's seat. All that was left was to let them get a feel for the car. Alex, meanwhile, had no such experience. He was really and truly brand new.

Abby couldn't help herself - she couldn't hold in her giggles any longer once Alex referred to the shifter as the "stick thingy." She calmed after a moment and looked apologetic. "I'm sorry, it's just... I guess I forgot you don't already know these things." It was strange, actually, since it had been hard to forget up until recently. His mannerisms had always been very strange, but now, though he was rather blunt, he spoke and acted like a relatively normal person. And Abby was finding that the newness of the world around him was slipping her mind when it wasn't at the forefront.

She drove them to an empty parking lot, then set about teaching Alex the basics of how to drive - the pedals, the gears, the wheel, the horn, and all the various other buttons that controlled things like windshield wipers and lights. Then, they spent a little while with Alex driving around in circles of various sizes around the parking lot. She taught him, then, about changing lanes, turn signals, shoulder checking and how to use the mirrors properly. She explained signage and how to leave enough space between you and the car ahead of you. Then, they went out onto some side roads to give Alex a chance to drive in a real (low-speed) situation.

"My parents live in Colorado Springs, these days." She beamed. "I should take you to Pike Peak! And to the Garden of the Gods! There's so much natural beauty out there, you'll love it!"

"I'm sorry, it's just... I guess I forgot you don't already know these things."

"That's okay," he retorted. "As long as I get to see you laugh. So it's not a 'stick thingy' then?", he said with a glint of laughter in his eyes. He was well aware that he was a rookie still in most worldly things, but he'd be damned if he was going to let that bring him down. He was attentive when she instructed him about adjusting seats and mirrors, and he got a kick out of honking the horn. He actually laughed out loud as the unexpectedly high honk emitted from the car.

Navigating through the back streets was difficult and there was much to learn, but after a while Alex got the hang of it. As they switched places again, Abby was talking excitedly about her hometown. Her whole face lit up as she listed all the sights to see and things to do. Alex felt an acute longing after having what she had: fond childhood memories. But he now had all the time in the world to make his own memories. With Abby.

And so they set off, the open road and the future ahead of them and a whole world to conquer.

Back