A question (primarily for male readers) about mentioning the menstrual cycle in a story:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MediocreAuthor

You can call me "M"
In the third chapter of my story "The Price of Embezzlement" I bring up the FMC's period as an important plot point.

In the previous chapters, Ruth is forced to walk around the office without panties. But when her period hits, Brent tells her that she can wear panties with her pad, but she must remove her bra instead. She's in the office bathroom when she realizes that she is no longer spotting, and she hasn't been since her shower that morning. She wipes with a sanitary wipe to be sure, and again there is no blood. So she removes her panties again.

One of my four proof-readers (a man) figured that this might be enough to scare off some male readers.

For the record, there is no blood featured, and this is not going into fetish.

Who here agrees or disagrees?

Since it doesn't seem like it's being sexualized or discussed in graphic detail I doubt it would do more than maybe make a few squeamish readers blink and quietly mutter, "Ew." And maybe not even that much.

There are five chapters in part 3 of "A Valentine's Day Mess" that all center around the FMC's period. That part doesn't get a lot of reads (late chapters in a series, and posted long after the start of the series), but it had an astronomical rating for months, and it's still well-rated.

Your mileage may vary. I've heard some authors complain that a mention of a period in their story triggered kick-back. I think reader's reaction will depend a lot on how it's handled. From your description, I doubt you'll see a problem.

Since it doesn't seem like it's being sexualized or discussed in graphic detail I doubt it would do more than maybe make a few squeamish readers blink and quietly mutter, "Ew." And maybe not even that much.
It definitely isn't being sexualized. I honestly felt that the scene of her proving to herself (and the readers) that there was no blood was necessary to show that she was indeed clean.

In the following scene, the MMC eats her pussy, and I didn't want people thinking that she still had lingering period blood

In the third chapter of my story "The Price of Embezzlement" I bring up the FMC's period as an important plot point.

In the previous chapters, Ruth is forced to walk around the office without panties. But when her period hits, Brent tells her that she can wear panties with her pad, but she must remove her bra instead. She's in the office bathroom when she realizes that she is no longer spotting, and she hasn't been since her shower that morning. She wipes with a sanitary wipe to be sure, and again there is no blood. So she removes her panties again.

One of my four proof-readers (a man) figured that this might be enough to scare off some male readers.

For the record, there is no blood featured, and this is not going into fetish.

Are guys really that squeamish?

Em

While I don't find it in any way erotic, it's no reason to nope out of the story.

I feel the same way, and I am the kind of man that - whilst having no problem with periods, obviously - generally do not tend to have (vaginal) sex with anyone that's currently in that part of the cycle.

It definitely isn't being sexualized. I honestly felt that the scene of her proving to herself (and the readers) that there was no blood was necessary to show that she was indeed clean.

In the following scene, the MMC eats her pussy, and I didn't want people thinking that she still had lingering period blood
That's probably the best plan for keeping squick low. Or you could establish that the man likes his steaks tartare. 😇

In one of my stories i have a guy go down on a menstruating gal. Since the guy was written as more than squeamish it was an NC power play. Nobody complained and i had one comment on how that was a cool femdom move.

And did he never have a wife or girlfriend?

The mind boggles.

Em
I know he has had a girlfriend in the past. I don't think he was ever married, although I'm not sure.

Wanna hear the greatest irony of all? He was concerned that men might get turned away by the mention of the blood... buut... how would you react if I told you that including the FMC's period was my husband's idea?

Lmfao :ROFLMAO:

Different guys have different levels of comfort with periods, I suppose

I treat that the way I do condoms, STD's and the fact no one ever farts in bed or has to pee as soon as they wake up, I just never bring it up
But I wouldn't feel put off by it

Then again when you're married and raised two daughters things like periods and tampons etc are just facts of life.

I treat that the way I do condoms, STD's and the fact no one ever farts in bed or has to pee as soon as they wake up, I just never bring it up

Then again when you're married and raised two daughters things like periods and tampons etc are just facts of life.
Normally, I do the same thing. Periods aren't gross (they fucking suck) but they're just a part of life.

I only mention them, because I need to show a teensy bit of humanity from the MMC, because he doesn't use Ruth's menstrual cycle as a means to tease her or make her beg.

Different guys have different levels of comfort with periods, I suppose.

That's my take. I'm a facts-of-life kinda guy, too. I have written concerns about periods in my stories relative to birth control, and my "star" MMC has sympathized with and counseled in very serious situations involving vaginal blood (medical abortion gone bad).

Good sexual health demands a baseline level of expertise in the physiology of both sexes. If some of your readers (or editors!) can't take it, then they might not really be with the program.

I know he has had a girlfriend in the past. I don't think he was ever married, although I'm not sure.

Wanna hear the greatest irony of all? He was concerned that men might get turned away by the mention of the blood... buut... how would you react if I told you that including the FMC's period was my husband's idea?

Lmfao :ROFLMAO:

Different guys have different levels of comfort with periods, I suppose
It’s weird isn’t it?

I did a fake-out in Caputpedes. In the trilogy, when any FMC is acting strangely, it’s normally presaging some momentous thing. In this case, it was just that time of the month for Park Na-ri.

Em

when any FMC is acting strangely, it’s normally presaging some momentous thing.

Yeah. "PMS" is not just a means for matching colors.

EDIT: Oo. I just realized that this is a really obscure joke. You need a minimum exposure to graphic arts to get the reference.

Last edited:
I have only mentioned menstruation in a story to create an excuse for why a woman lets her boyfriend play around with her friends but not her. She still enjoys watching. Most men who don’t understand the process do the same thing, probably. I’ve seen other writers restrict a character on their period to only giving blowjobs and holding off being touched down there till they quit bleeding. If you mention it in that much detail, I would cringe a bit and then hope we get back to hot sex soon. Basically same as Stillstunned, I guess.

I have only mentioned menstruation in a story to create an excuse for why a woman lets her boyfriend play around with her friends but not her. She still enjoys watching. Most men who don’t understand the process do the same thing, probably. I’ve seen other writers restrict a character on their period to only giving blowjobs and holding off being touched down there till they quit bleeding. If you mention it in that much detail, I would cringe a bit and then hope we get back to hot sex soon. Basically same as Stillstunned, I guess.
Don’t make assumptions about women being a monolithic, homogenous whole. The experience differs from woman to woman. For some women, it differs from month to month. Some would like nothing more that hot beverages and cuddles. Others can get kinda horny.

The life hack here is, ask her 😊. The advanced level is ask her more than once.

Em

Last edited:
I mean, all we can really offer each is a sample size of one, no?

I've been roundly accused of "overly vanilla" but I wouldn't drop out b/c of it. The caveats being it is, indeed, required by the narrative (menstruation is same as eating, sleeping, bathroom, other bodily functions, no need to include it unless it is relevant.) and not feel like some weird drive by "get the fetish checkmark." (there's been a bit of that going around)

Overall, if it's needed for narrative, it being menstruation over something else shouldn't matter.

But gender politics have gotten real dumb and some love waging war given even a tiny sliver of relevance.

If some have a real problem with it, I'm pretty sure all of their issue is outside of anything you did in your work.

Even more reader consideration likely wouldn't fix it (also, not your duty) and a waste of your time.

Talking of tampons the afore mentioned Domme later practices some breathplay on afore mentioned sub with some tampons up the nostrils. Still no reader squealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back