The menstrual question... again (hopefully for the last time)

What is the world coming to? Apparently even the OED lists "octopi" as acceptable.
Dictionaries track usage. Languages evolve that way, for better or worse (worse). Once a usage is common enough - even if it started as malaprops - it'll eventually get in there.

Anyway, on topic, a lot of men will be put off by descriptions of periods. I've seen fully grown men who fancy themselves mature basically gag at the very mention. It isn't pretty. But it will happen.

But that's on them. If it's central to your story, you should include it. It's a normal bodily function that happens regularly to a huge chunk of the population. If people are uncomfortable with that, that's their problem.

I have a very conveniently self-serving way of looking at other people's opinions that I think applies here: people who judge me for the things I'm into are, by definition, people whose opinions I don't really need to worry about. If you're writing a story that, at least in part, is about the experience of dealing with your period, and that's the story you want to write, then the people who run and hide at the mention of 'icky period stuff' simply aren't your audience.

2) Not to get technical, but this story has always been "Reluctance" and not so much "non-con".
(Obviously, there's overlap, but I feel like some caring is standard in such a story. Idk
Non-con/rel is my anti-interest so you're better at knowing the line. I've seen you take non-titlation/category disruption risks elsewhere and tried to push myself a bit.

The readership will 'ick'. But the readership, despite having the vote, don't really recognise creative genius. On an erotic story site, it would be profoundly ridiculous to ignore the myriad nuances of the female arousal journey through the moon cycle. I tried exploring it a little to write out my feelings about my wifey's libidinous ups and downs. Before menopause, she became insatiable around ovulation and wore out batteries during her period but penetrative sex prolonged her period somehow. Strange but wonderful that she shared it with me. I wrote a thing when i was pondering it about some young people going through marriage rituals where they had to hunt together on a full moon when she had her period and was freebleeding. It was challenging to try and do creatively. It still got a red H. (sic) Personally, i find farting more offensive than bleeding and farting is mostly funny.

Maybe I'm from the Stephen King school of writing, but I absolutely love using periods (menstruation - not full stops - which I of course use when I have to) in my stories. I find them a good writing tool and while some are grossed or weirded out by the very mention of a woman's monthly cycle (and I have copped plenty of criticism from LW and IT readers for including this content in my works), there is quite a core of period fan readers on the site, maybe because there is limited adult material available involving menstruation.

I have used them in many different ways for character development, comedy, drama, mystery, time setting a story set in the past, voyeurism and erotica involving period fetishes.

For example, my science fiction story 'Cindy's Close Encounter' involves 3 cheerleaders Cindy, Wendy and Jo along with their respective boyfriends who get abducted by a UFO after a Halloween dance and after the ordeal is over and the aliens release them from their flying saucer, all three girls immediately and unexpectedly get their periods despite none of the trio being due for another two weeks at least. With the story set way back in 1959, the girls have to wear sanitary belts to which they attach their period pads, referring to menstruation as 'the curse' which helps set the story in the past. The girls' mothers become suspicious something funny is going on when they notice their daughters rinsing out their blood-stained panties and obviously having time of the month problems, confer and compare notes and arrange for the girls to see a gynaecologist. The doctor turns out to be a pious old fusspot, who sternly lectures the girls about modesty and abstinence when their vaginal examinations reveal they are not virgins (although two of them should be), again reflecting attitudes of the time.

And of course, period fans would get to enjoy the story for different reasons, going back in time to a very different era and meeting the attractive 18-year-old narrator as she describes managing her unexpected period and those of her friends after their alien encounter ...

Back