Category: Sci-Fi/Fantasy even if not the focus?

RuaNYC

Virgin
Hi, planning to post my first story here, and I have a question (I want to get right since categories are so important for connecting author with correct readership).

My story utilizes a mild fantasy framework as a vehicle for its sex scenes. It takes place in our present world, but in a secluded society where the leader is a woman who can take on multiple pregnancies at once/quickly (loosely based on real queen bees, who hold onto multiple males' sperm when they are deflowered, though that's the only time they have sex). The rest of the society also loosely follows this hive/woman-led structure, though nobody except the queen has "superpowers."

I would imagine by this point you're like "Well yeah, sounds like you've still described a clear Sci-Fi/Fantasy though." That might be, but I will give the rest of my reasoning too. The one magic component is not generally the focus, but rather all the sex that the different characters come into in this society. As a reader I've always been drawn predominantly to Group Sex (and Loving Wives as long as the husband gets some too), and I believe my story reflects Group Sex arousal more than, say, arousal based on aliens or use of magic spells and relations of witches and warlocks or something.

That being said, I understand Sci-Fi/Fantasy is an "exempt" category, and perhaps if my story was in Group Sex some readers would enter, and become pissed at unexpected exposure to a society unlike one that really exists and one of the female characters having surreal pregnancy abilities.

What do you think? Would Group Sex with a disclaimer at the beginning be a potential workaround? Thanks for your time reading my query.

What do you think? Would Group Sex with a disclaimer at the beginning be a potential workaround? Thanks for your time reading my query.

Based on what you're describing, yes - keyword being the inclusion of that disclaimer. I've done this myself once. Moonkiss is in the "anal" category because it's a story predominantly about anal sex, but it's set in a fantasy world. Not with any magical elements necessarily, but the whole story begins on the battlefield where folded steel meets savage blades. It did quite well for itself, but I really tried to hone in on the focus of the chosen category, and pretty much every sexual encounter within is all about the butt.

The plus side of Group Sex as a category is that if readers don't like a story, they probably won't tell you. The down side is if they do like it, they won't tell you either. They're a singularly unresponsive bunch of readers. Stories might as well be in a black hole, the amount of feedback you get.

You probably can do that.

Honestly though, it sounds like the multiple pregnancy premise would be a better fit for Non-Human (maybe your suggestion Super-human but eh, close enough). If you're altering both biology and society in your story, Group sounds like a stretch to me.

Your decision. Just be ready to justify your decision to category confused readers if necessary. My story Ruleskirter involves my fantasy girlfriend (who actually exists in my ficverse) and a genie aiding my self-insert’s relationship with her, so it went in Fantasy. But I didn’t make the Fantasy clear enough for at least one fan- I stand by my decision though. Romance worked better for the sequel since the genie was only an offscreen influence and the ghost who haunts Elena and Boris may be a figment of their collective imagination. No one’s called me out on that decision thus far.

The plus side of Group Sex as a category is that if readers don't like a story, they probably won't tell you. The down side is if they do like it, they won't tell you either. They're a singularly unresponsive bunch of readers. Stories might as well be in a black hole, the amount of feedback you get.
He's quite right. My group stories have the lowest comments of all, except my story in Letters and Transcripts.
You probably can do that.

Honestly though, it sounds like the multiple pregnancy premise would be a better fit for Non-Human (maybe your suggestion Super-human but eh, close enough). If you're altering both biology and society in your story, Group sounds like a stretch to me.
This was my opinion as well. Your MC doesn't sound human to me.

Thank you for all your responses, these help me make my decision as a newbie. Having some other insight into the characteristics of different categories' readerships doesn't hurt either.

As far as the MC, the ironic thing is that character isn't even the MC generally—she's so slutty from the start I find it hard to "expand her horizons" much. But in any event, I'll consider everything and make my decision. Thanks again all!

Back