Best category for a romantic breeding/impregnation story?

karina_jayde

Really Experienced
I have a story that is basically ready to submit, I'm just a bit indecisive about the category. It is fairly short (only about 6,000 words). It is technically a sequel to one of my fantasy series, but there no fantastical elements within it, aside from some alchemical potions. It mentions some world-building stuff but that's pretty minimal.

The focus is entirely on two nobles deciding to have a child to continue their dynasties. It's very much a 'trying to get pregnant' story.' It's not necessarily them roleplaying a breeding kink, they are very deliberately trying to have a child.

I think about just sticking it in Sci Fi/Fantasy, but I like to diversify my categories when possible for broader exposure. I thought about Erotic Couplings, but not sure if that would be the best fit for a straight-up breeding story. I also thought about Fetish, but the act isn't necessarily fetishized: it's a couple in love going forward with starting a family to continue their dynasties.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a story that is basically ready to submit, I'm just a bit indecisive about the category. It is fairly short (only about 6,000 words). It is technically a sequel to one of my fantasy series, but there no fantastical elements within it, aside from some alchemical potions. It mentions some world-building stuff but that's pretty minimal.

The focus is entirely on two nobles deciding to have a child to continue their dynasties. It's very much a 'trying to get pregnant' story.' It's not necessarily them roleplaying a breeding kink, they are very deliberately trying to have a child.

I think about just sticking it in Sci Fi/Fantasy, but I like to diversify my categories when possible for broader exposure. I thought about Erotic Couplings, but not sure if that would be the best fit for a straight-up breeding story. I also thought about Fetish, but the act isn't necessarily fetishized: it's a couple in love going forward with starting a family to continue their dynasties.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
They're nobles. make them siblings, too and put it in Incest/Taboo, other wise probably erotic couplings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
You've answered your own mail. It's part of an-going world, so surely it makes most sense to keep it all together. If you put it somewhere else, new readers are going to go, "Huh?"

Best category for a romantic breeding/impregnation story?​

I’m a total ingenue with respect to this breeding fetish. What you describe is a couple aiming to have a child. I know the same word covers both, but is it breeding in a fetish sense? Doesn’t seem like it.

I’d say Romance - it’s not E/C, I’ve made that mistake before. Sex between people in a relationship goes down [🤭] poorly there.

But, as mentioned, if it’s part of a Fantasy saga, leave it in SF&F.

Emily

I’m a total ingenue with respect to this breeding fetish. What you describe is a couple aiming to have a child. I know the same word covers both, but is it breeding in a fetish sense? Doesn’t seem like it.
I'd say conception would be a nicer way to put it.

If it was a pregnancy kink, Fetish would be enough, but you say they’re also in love and that suggests Romance. SF is the logical follow-on, but there’s nothing making you go there. My vote would be Romance, side-order of babies. Good luck.

I'd stay with SF&F. Other categories might get you more views, but I think the context will throw the readers off your story.

As far as Romance goes, beware of category police. If the story develops their decision to have the baby and sets up problems for them to overcome before they succeed, then maybe the readers will take it. If it's a sentimental fuck (and at 6000 words I'd guess that's mostly what it is) then Romance might not be the place for it.

I've been thinking about an impregnation story. Impregnation is almost like a new taboo. I'm not sure where I want to put it, but I'd like to dodge Fetish because I don't think of it as a fetish.

I've been thinking about an impregnation story. Impregnation is almost like a new taboo. I'm not sure where I want to put it, but I'd like to dodge Fetish because I don't think of it as a fetish.

It depends how it's written. If making a baby is actually turning on at least one of the baby makers ("Oh baby, Imma knock you up!" "Yes! YES! Knock me up!") Then it definitely fits m-preg fetish and the m-preg crowd will likely eat it up. However Fetish is a really scrambly category so if it posts there I would suggest a title like Conceiving an Heir or at least use conceive or impregnate or seed or womb or something in the title, and barring that make sure that the description clearly spells out m-preg. Otherwise the feet fetish crowd, the pee fetish crowd, the nylon fetish crowd, size queen crowd, none of them are going to click.

Having said that, I will say that this one sounds more Romance. Romance crowd is just a bigger crowd than m-preg for starters. Plus (at least form what I can tell by the OP's brief) this just feels more like a love story than a kink story. Romance is largely about commitment. Commitment always goes down well there. We have two people in a committed relationship and not only that, they are willfully having a planned pregnancy. Planned pregnancy reinforces commitment.

As for Sci-Fi, that all depends on how important the setting is to the story and how the author feels about it. If the author feels strongly that it should go to sci-fi then it should. Other than that I can't really offer any advice.

You could put it in EC if you want no one to ever find it, but when it has more than enough elements to go somewhere (anywhere) else, I wouldn't.

I'd stay with SF&F. Other categories might get you more views, but I think the context will throw the readers off your story.

Not necessarily. The truth of the matter is that the SF&F readers like world building and fantastical elements. If the story has none of that - it's just people who happens to be nobles in some made up location - that's hardly enough to satisfy the readers of that group.

I wrote a 'fantasy story' about two separate groups of people, and in order to avoid offending anyone, I made them both up - with imaginary cultures. But the story isn't really about any of that; it's a plot element. All of the sex scenes are about anal sex. I stuck it in that category and it did quite well. Not one person said "This belongs in fantasy!" - because it would genuinely have been a worse fit there. And my story had more fantasy elements than @karina_jayde 's seem to have, because it opened with a bunch of people on a battlefield, with swords clashing. :unsure:

To me, it sounds like it ought to go in either Romance or possibly Fetish. I'd lean towards the former. The readers of Romance likes a good plot, and noble lords and ladies in castles sounds like an interesting setting. ☺️

It's a toss-up. If part 2 could be a stand-alone story, even though it connects to part 1, put it in Romance. If there will be a part 3 that will be fantasy, keep it in Sci-Fi/Fantasy.

After some thought and reading the feedback, decided to go with Sf/F. While there are some romantic elements, it's not a huge focus, and the conception angle is less about the sexual fetish and more about the big picture for the family.

And since this story will serve as the bridge to a full-blown sequel to the original series, going with SF/F will help keep a more consistent category connection.

The baby who gets conceived in this story will grow up to be the MC of the next series. Can't say I've ever 'created' a character quite in this manner, lol

Thanks for the help!

If the series started, and presumably will continue, in SF/F, and there isn't a clear other category this needs to be in, stick with SF/F.

Back