Need help choosing a category for my first story.

Astrotrain

Triple Changer
I've just written a few chapters of my first story and I'm ready to try submitting. It's a femdom orgasm denial story where a guy is caught masturbating by his four stepsisters who are horrified and vow to rid him of the disgusting habit for good. I'm torn between three categories: nonconsent, BDSM and incest.

I was initially going to go with nonconsent (the guy isn't exactly keen on his stepsisters plans for him) but I read a post on this forum that said readers over there are mainly into maledom and don't take kindly to femdom. Is that true?

As for BDSM, most of the stories over there seem to be consentual. And this story won't have any of the heavy stuff, just a lot of inadvertent tease and denial. (Okay, and a few spankings.)

And incest? Well, they're his stepsisters, not his sisters. I find the dynamics that can arise between people who have known each other all their lives and are forced to live in the same house together truly fascinating, but the whole "sexual relations between blood relatives" thing has always squicked me out. Nothing against anybody who likes reading about that sort of thing, but it's always been a major cockblock for me. So the whole step fantasy or stepcest thing is a perfect way around it, but will it go down well over there? Will they just see it as a poor imitation?

And lastly, I couldn't help but notice that nonconsent, BDSM and incest are all tags as well as categories. No matter which category I choose, if I add the others as tags will that smooth things out a bit?

None of the category readerships are monolithic, but all three of those mentioned do have sizable (or at least loud) segments that dislike 'faux' incest, NC BDSM, and femdom NC respectively. Your story can still find an audience in any of them, potentially, but you can expect some blowback from so-called purists.
I agree with @joy_of_cooking that it might fit best in Fetish. It won't insulate you completely from people with axes to grind, but there seem to be fewer of them there.

Categories are infamously imperfect. They're a 'best we have' sort of thing.

Incest is usually a trump category, which means incestuous content normally has to go in I/T. I'm not sure whether this applies for step siblings though, others may respond after me. The incest crowd usually expects blood relations.

Other than that, Fetish could work as others have said. Or BDSM. The tags are useful for ironing out the sharp edges of categories and telling your readers what is included, so definitely use them.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard! I too would suggest the Fetish category, and then use all the tags that best fit your tale: "Femdom", "Masturbation", "Stepsisters" etc etc...

@Astrotrain I'd suggest Fetish too. Your story will die in a ditch in Incest, for oh so many reasons, not least because they're fairly conservative there, and heads will explode with the notion of femdom. Your assessment of BDSM is pretty right too, I think. I sense it's a more a "rules apply" category these days than it used to be, and why take flak if you don't need to?

Fetish, with sensible tags, should do the trick.

I think it has a strong incest /taboo feel - with the emphasis on taboo. People tend to forget that part of the category. I had three uncle /aunt /neice stories that did well there, but they were conservative compared to your idea.

Drop it in fetish with appropriate tags, but don't be surprised if it gets posted in I/T.

The score might be higher in fetish, but you'll probably get half the eyeballs or less there than you would in Incest or BDSM. You have to also think that although incest is the most popular kink, it's also probably the biggest squick outside of incest. So with a step orgy your score might still suffer anyways in fet or group or any other category that isn't incest. It all depends how much leeway that the readers may or may not give you for step. Kinda dicey.

If it were blood incest then you would probably get trumped to incest by the admin no matter what, but since it's step you're now stuck in a purgatory.

Yet another example of how the outdated categories on lit are so restrictive and could use a major overhaul. If Incest had a stepcest sub-category it would solve everything here.

If it were blood incest then you would probably get trumped to incest by the admin no matter what, but since it's step you're now stuck in a purgatory.
Not always. I've got two long stories where incest is a sub-theme, and Laurel let me put them in the category of my choice. She did add an Editor's Note at the top, which was fine with me.

I was going to recommend Fetish as well. The readers there mostly know to look at tags to find what they do/don't want.

I'm not convinced it has a lower actual readership than BDSM for a similar story - Views includes all the people who click on a story, read the start including any warnings/promises re content, and immediately hit Back. My numbers of votes and comments suggest similar numbers of actual readers.

I vote fetish unless your priority is to maximize readers. If it is, then put it in incest. You may get some readers who don't like the content, but you'll get so many more readers, period, that you'll also get more who LIKE the content.

Are sexual acts between the step siblings included? If so, I think "incest" is the trump category. Erotica defines incest quite broadly.

The first appearance of my incestuous foster twin sisters Shauna & Tara Shapiro in a sex situation went in Incest, as did the third. I have featured them in Group Sex also because the guy they hooked up with doesn’t consider their relationship taboo. They don’t either, even though they actually are sisters by nature and nurture. Somehow being raised by adopted parents altered their thinking towards taboos a bit.

If you can’t pick a category go with Group Sex or NC since the guy in your story is reluctant. I suggest giving the girls different personalities- variant levels of mean, nice, into the guy or not, and motivations for their actions work. Perhaps girl #1 considers masturbation gross, #2 offers herself as an alternative because she’s into the guy, #3 is also into the guy but is a virgin and wants to experience sex with his help but not necessarily stay with him, and #4 is into #1 on a lesbian basis and wants to use this situation as an opportunity to get with her. They don’t all have to be related, friends works too.

Are sexual acts between the step siblings included?

Nope, it's an orgasm denial story. If you're not familiar with that kink, it's basically the exact opposite of rape. You desperately want sexual satisfaction, but you're being prevented from obtaining it.

I suggest giving the girls different personalities

Yep, I've been working on that. One is the leader and a sort of all rounder who handles the exposition. The others are a classic mean domme, a mommy domme and a bratty domme.

Last edited:
Nope, it's an orgasm denial story. If you're not familiar with that kink, it's basically the exact opposite of rape. You desperately want sexual satisfaction, but you're being prevented from obtaining it.
Edging is, of course, a sexual act.

Edging is, of course, a sexual act.

Oh, in that case yeah. The girls are going to be washing him in the shower because they can't trust him touching himself anymore, and that includes his private parts.

Tough to say, but I'd have to concur with those who suggested Fetish. As long as your tags/title/story description also help to convey the spectrum of what your story includes, you should be good.

Wherever you decide to categorize it, don't be surprised if Laurel puts it somewhere else. She claims of the privilege of placement. When it's in place, it would be helpful to note on this thread where it went (and whether that was your choice or hers).

In my experience, I/T readers dislike noncon and BDSM. Putting the story in I/T will probably get you more negative comments than positive ones. I vote for Fetish.

Thinking about your tastes, yeah, Fetish is a good choice. I’m personally not into what you describe, nor can I imagine it as the opposite of rape since consent is usually required for orgasm in my experience… but I won’t debate you about it. Hope your story flows out of your head well.

Thinking about your tastes, yeah, Fetish is a good choice. I’m personally not into what you describe, nor can I imagine it as the opposite of rape since consent is usually required for orgasm in my experience… but I won’t debate you about it. Hope your story flows out of your head well.

That was a joke, I wasn't actually being serious.

I suggest giving the girls different personalities- variant levels of mean, nice, into the guy or not, and motivations for their actions work. Perhaps girl #1 considers masturbation gross, #2 offers herself as an alternative because she’s into the guy, #3 is also into the guy but is a virgin and wants to experience sex with his help but not necessarily stay with him, and #4 is into #1 on a lesbian basis and wants to use this situation as an opportunity to get with her. They don’t all have to be related, friends works too.

By the way @AchtungNight, this is nothing like what I've planned, but it sounds great and I think you should start working on it. I'd be honoured if I helped to inspire you.

Back