Ornithamateurs - The Birding Thread

I'm not a birder at all, but this thread reminded me of a pic I took years ago.

Is the bird dead or sleeping? :D

It stayed in that position long enough that J and I got bored and left, so I never found out which it was.

Those are birds sleeping...
 
I'm still a couple weeks away from the return of the Orioles. They usually show up around the first week of May. I've got a special feeder for them. Grape jelly gives them sugar to recharge after their long migration.

tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo9_1280.jpg


tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo8_1280.jpg

Squeee! My team bird (baseball)! They're so pretty.
 
Blue jay?

( not a fan of watching sports and no base ball that I know of in Europe ...though I'd still be lost if there were.....I don't know which is the local football ( soccer) team either. I do know the local rugby team though...

I love the raccoon picture too.

The only picture I can think I have of wildlife is a duckling picture I sent to Vollar ages ago, but it doesn't count...G was holding it. :eek:

Haha - yes I should have said Bluejay :D

Here's one more I had and thanks for all the nice comments.

tumblr_o4rn9zlvjE1s754npo3_1280.jpg
 
Cool thread

This was a really good idea. We have hawks and turkey vultures in our area.
 
There's a birding thread!!! Sweet mother of God! I love my feathered friends. I'm an environmental biology major with a goal of specializing in bird conservation.
 
12509746_1195242050489521_2309470230460130388_n by A J, on Flickr

Let's see if this dandy works. I'm not used to uploading via Flickr.

Ok. So this is a Tropical Kingbird. Mississippi's second recorded sighting ever. Last year we assume it was this same individual who came to the same location near the coast. It's a gorgeous bird and I love the Flycatcher family.
 
I'm not a birder at all, but this thread reminded me of a pic I took years ago.

Is the bird dead or sleeping? :D

It stayed in that position long enough that J and I got bored and left, so I never found out which it was.

If a bird is dead, it'd likely be on the ground. Speaking of which, I saw a gull hanging in mid air once and I thought it was odd.. And then I looked through my binoculars and realized it had hung itself with fishing line. :/

These birds certainly look like their sleeping. Different birds have different sleeping positions. Ducks tuck their head under their wings. These look like rock doves to me and I'm assuming that's their sleeping posture
 
I'm still a couple weeks away from the return of the Orioles. They usually show up around the first week of May. I've got a special feeder for them. Grape jelly gives them sugar to recharge after their long migration.

tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo9_1280.jpg


tumblr_o4rncyzKKA1s754npo8_1280.jpg


Beautiful pictures. I just saw my 'lifer' oriole the other day. A Male Orchard Oriole feeding on a hummingbird feeder. But I believe we also get Baltimore Orioles migrating through here. With a possibility of Bullock's. Although that'd be unlikely according to the range map.
 
Back
Top