You think you have problems?

Duleigh

Just an old dog
I just had a story returned because Laurel and Manu didn't like the title

I submitted Enchantress 6 - The Reluctant King
for some reason they felt the need to change it to Enchantress Ch. 06 - the Reluctant King which was way too long so they returned it. Also the series skips from Story #4 to Story #6

I was hoping when I saw the story returned it was for an accusation of using AI which means that my editing skills are getting better.

They might be anticipating you'll get to Ch. 10, in which case your numbering sequence won't get cocked up. It's odd that it got bounced back though - usually Laurel will stretch the title field.

...usually Laurel will stretch the title field.

She may not have that ability any more. The site tweaks over the past couple of years lead me to believe they’re tightening-up database definitions with an eye on performance. The first place I’d look (back when I was working) to improve large DB response was change any variable-length fields to fixed-length.

She may not have that ability any more. The site tweaks over the past couple of years lead me to believe they’re tightening-up database definitions with an eye on performance. The first place I’d look (back when I was working) to improve large DB response was change any variable-length fields to fixed-length.
She tweaked a field length for me three months ago - from 35 to 39 characters.

I would imagine that and the description field were always fixed, but fixed at a length with some wiggle room.

I thought the title limit was 32... It's been a long time since I danced on that line, I guess.

Normally you have to make a special request to maintain a numeral in a title without some sort of chapter designation attached. It's standard practice for Laurel to add one. ( Although that should really be ended now that series aren't dependent on titles ) Obviously the OP has used that convention in previously published submissions, but Laurel can't be expected to remember all the stuff that comes across her desk. I would resubmit with a note pointing out that you're already using the numeral-only designation in previous submissions, and it will probably go through that way. Such a note should be added to any additional submissions in the series as well.

Either that or ditch the numbers entirely, use the new series coding, and put them in order that way.

I thought the title limit was 32... It's been a long time since I danced on that line, I guess.
35, isn't it? And 60 characters for the description line.

Also, assuming this is a Discworld series, remember not to have a Chapter 8. You don't want to summon Bel-Shamharoth.

Laurel can still add characters to truncated titles if requested. Without a request, she will leave it with what the system gives you. She fixed one for me just a few months ago.

In the past, the site would fix a title to give you an extra character or two and sometimes on their own change a Chapter 1 to an 01. I remember having that issue once and they adjusted it.

Guess they don't do that any more.

Laurel can still add characters to truncated titles if requested. Without a request, she will leave it with what the system gives you. She fixed one for me just a few months ago.
I just posted pretty much the same thing, except I didn't ask, they just did it, but I'm going back 12 years ago at this point, so maybe its different now.

I just posted pretty much the same thing, except I didn't ask, they just did it, but I'm going back 12 years ago at this point, so maybe its different now.
I waited over a year to see if it would get fixed without a request and even hoped that including the story into others in the series manager would fix it, but I finally gave up and just asked her. Quick and easy.

I just had a story returned because Laurel and Manu didn't like the title

I submitted Enchantress 6 - The Reluctant King
for some reason they felt the need to change it to Enchantress Ch. 06 - the Reluctant King which was way too long so they returned it. Also the series skips from Story #4 to Story #6

I was hoping when I saw the story returned it was for an accusation of using AI which means that my editing skills are getting better.
Title lengths are a little restrictive, aren’t they?

Em

Back