rejected story

PyongTaek82

Virgin
I posted a story that was rejected, and I don't understand why. Instead of telling me specifically what was wrong with the story. The moderator simply posted general guidelines for the proper use of grammar. I have read many stories on this site that were so poorly written that they were basically incomprehensible, yet they were published. That wasn't the case for my story so I'm very perplexed.

It is not uncommon for a story to get rejected due to bad grammar or punctuation. You can always request help on the editor's forum. Depending on how long your story is, it shouldn't be too hard to find some help.

My first story was sent back as well.
especially the dialogue had some issues in my case.
Try to find an editor for your first story and ask them to explain what should get changed. Finding an editor here is easier than you might expect.
It helped me a lot, I am sure you will too

I posted a story that was rejected, and I don't understand why. Instead of telling me specifically what was wrong with the story. The moderator simply posted general guidelines for the proper use of grammar. I have read many stories on this site that were so poorly written that they were basically incomprehensible, yet they were published. That wasn't the case for my story so I'm very perplexed.
Don't worry about the grammatical standards of other stories here, just fix your own. You don't get specific feedback referencing your story - the site uses a set of generic rejection notices. So, if you got a notice saying, "Check your grammar," that's what you need to do.

I suggest you look closely at punctuation in your dialogue - that's where most people go wrong.

How long does it take from when you submit to it being posted?
For a newbie, about a week. You'll get slightly tighter scrutiny for content compliance.

Once you get a bit of a track record, 2 - 3 days is typical (unless there's a contest closing and you're not in it).

Shit slides by that shouldn't, like any other part of life. Laurel isn't omnipotent. Take the L and fix it.

My first story was rejected all those years ago.

They look at new writers more in depth in attempts to get a decent standard.

Stories take 2-7 days. Illustrated sometimes weeks.

Contest stories usually 1 or 2 days max.

Back